Review Dees v Lions: the Good, Bad & Fugly

you realise I am not bagging May, yeah?

I am bagging our defensive structures!

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk
Lol, I read that as ‘banging’ and had to take a triple look. I mean if you have to explain or justify.

Lol, I read that as ‘banging’ and had to take a triple look. I mean if you have to explain or justify.
It was two dates a while back.

Hence 'was' instead of 'am'

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Midfield was terrible. Ineffective and unanacountable.

Harmes has been the best of the minds this year but he was really bad, tons of stupid hospitable handballs. Brayshaw as well, but with worse kicking and zero interest in playing defence. Oliver handballs often put teammates under more pressure. Trac should have been thrown in there when they began to dominate.

I have no doubt that individually each of our mids would play well in any other properly coached AFL midfield. Our gameplan and philosphy is exhausting and idiotic. So much scragging just to win a contested possession and so many numbers to the ball that we have no space to work with and can't defensively spread.

May 15, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Harmes 25
Viney 22
Hunt 19 wing
Fritsch 18 (17w, 1i)
Oliver 18
Brayshaw 15
Baker 11 wing
Lockhart 9 wing
Petracca 6
T.McDonald 1 wing

Unknown 1 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 22
T.McDonald 2
Weideman 4
T.Smith 1

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Oliver 4
Harmes 1
Hunt 1

1st Half - 12

Harmes 11
Baker 11 wing
Viney 10
Brayshaw 8
Fritsch 8 (7w, 1i)
Hunt 6 wing
Oliver 5
Petracca 1

Gawn 9
T.McDonald 1
Weideman 1
T.Smith 1

2nd Half - 17

Harmes 14
Hunt 13 wing
Oliver 13
Viney 12
Lockhart 9 wing
Brayshaw 7
Petracca 5
T.McDonald 1 wing

1 Unknown wing

Gawn 13
Weideman 3
T.McDonald 1

Notes:
- For 3 bounces late in the 3rd term, there was no on-screen wing - it looked like they were starting close to your D50 and becoming a spare back to attempt to hold the margin until 3/4 time. Lockhart moved from the forward line to play in the vacant wing spot after 2 of the bounces, for the 3rd nobody bothered moving to man Brisbane's wing and Zac Bailey was allowed to run around freely.
- Baker didn't return to the midfield mix after 1/2 time
- Oliver had the lowest percentage of bounces attended (62.1%) from the 9 games analysed this season
- Most starts for Lockhart in an analysed game
- Fritsch's inside mid debut in an analysed game
- Surprisingly, given you couldn't win a clearance, none of Jones, Lockhart or ANB were tried despite their previous inside experience (either at AFL or VFL level), whilst Fritsch was tried, despite no noted history in the role

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 29 Bounces

Harmes 25
Viney 22
Hunt 19 wing
Fritsch 18 (17w, 1i)
Oliver 18
Brayshaw 15
Baker 11 wing
Lockhart 9 wing
Petracca 6
T.McDonald 1 wing

Unknown 1 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 22
T.McDonald 2
Weideman 4
T.Smith 1

Centre Clearances (per Champion Data/AFL.com.au
Oliver 4
Harmes 1
Hunt 1

1st Half - 12

Harmes 11
Baker 11 wing
Viney 10
Brayshaw 8
Fritsch 8 (7w, 1i)
Hunt 6 wing
Oliver 5
Petracca 1

Gawn 9
T.McDonald 1
Weideman 1
T.Smith 1

2nd Half - 17

Harmes 14
Hunt 13 wing
Oliver 13
Viney 12
Lockhart 9 wing
Brayshaw 7
Petracca 5
T.McDonald 1 wing

1 Unknown wing

Gawn 13
Weideman 3
T.McDonald 1

Notes:
- For 3 bounces late in the 3rd term, there was no on-screen wing - it looked like they were starting close to your D50 and becoming a spare back to attempt to hold the margin until 3/4 time. Lockhart moved from the forward line to play in the vacant wing spot after 2 of the bounces, for the 3rd nobody bothered moving to man Brisbane's wing and Zac Bailey was allowed to run around freely.
- Baker didn't return to the midfield mix after 1/2 time
- Oliver had the lowest percentage of bounces attended (62.1%) from the 9 games analysed this season
- Most starts for Lockhart in an analysed game
- Fritsch's inside mid debut in an analysed game
- Surprisingly, given you couldn't win a clearance, none of Jones, Lockhart or ANB were tried despite their previous inside experience (either at AFL or VFL level), whilst Fritsch was tried, despite no noted history in the role
Yeah forgot about Fritsch in at the centre bounce. I think it was also when we had a makeshift ruckman in there as well. I remember thinking at the time 'who's dumb idea was that one?!'
I also think Goodwin should have looked to change up the midfield mix with some other smaller/faster guys like ANB and Lockhart in the centre when it became clear that our mids couldn't get their hands on it and the lions mids were too quick for our plodders, who had looked like they'd given up instead. probably just not Fritsch, who's built like a rake and is an outside mid/fwd.

Back