Review Dees v Lions - the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Mcstay saw Jetta with the ball and then decides to bump, he wasn't to know Jetta was going to lead wit his head but the onus is on the player with out the ball if he bumps and had the alternate to tackle and the bump is high he is in trouble.
But the problem isn’t just that, it’s players who are dropping the head into an incoming player. It’s picking the ball up front on as opposed to turning your body to the side to protect yourself. Players need to be instructed to protect themselves when going for the ball head down.

But the problem isn’t just that, it’s players who are dropping the head into an incoming player. It’s picking the ball up front on as opposed to turning your body to the side to protect yourself. Players need to be instructed to protect themselves when going for the ball head down.
It's ridiculous now that players aren't at all expected to protect themselves like we are playing a non contact sport where you shouldn't ever be prepared. Same thing when Luke hodge flattened Heppell. It was like Heppell couldn't understand there was any immediate danger

It's ridiculous now that players aren't at all expected to protect themselves like we are playing a non contact sport where you shouldn't ever be prepared. Same thing when Luke hodge flattened Heppell. It was like Heppell couldn't understand there was any immediate danger
Well that’s the problem mate, it is becoming less and less a contact sport with every year that goes by. The emphasis has become about free kicks, milking a tackle or bump, and general over caution. And yes you’re right, players are not expected to protect themselves, the onus is always on the tackler or bumper. Hardly any players turns to absorb the incoming player, they stupidly put the head down and just run the gauntlet.

I think Nic Nat got suspended a few years ago due to a rough tackle and the comments were that he had to take into consideration his size compared to the smaller player he was tackling? So, you’re expected to consider X player is X amount of weight and height shorter than Y player so you need to deliver Z amount of force when tackling?

And I’ll say it again, 4 years ago Rioli dropped his head into Nathan Jones once he grabbed the ball. Now Jones stood there, let Rioli head butt him in the midriff, and was paid a free against. Let’s just say that’s Steve May charging at Rioli and he doesn’t slow down? Even if he doesn’t turn to bump him he still hits him flush with his full weight behind him. And then Cyril is carried off in a neck brace with the potential of paralysis.

And, if you look at the footage, it’s blatantly obvious that Neville moves his head down once possession is gained. He knows McStay is coming in, the bloke isn’t wearing two eye patches. I don’t care what anyone says, he drops his head.

Once you’ve got the ball you should be looking up, not down. Why drop your head? You can’t see what’s around you? And you’re still a hard player if you turn your body when picking up the ball, it’s not like you take your eyes off it. It’s just that your body shifts and you have a brace against what’s coming in.

A quarter back? You mean the guys that wear helmets?
You ever played a game of footy? Not everything can be thought through in a structured decision making framework like a lot of pundits suggest. Things happen quickly, you react with instinct. Viney routinely breaks tackles this way, with the tackler going over the top. If he didn't break the tackle, he would not receive a free, as he ducked his head. Not that hard to comprehend.

You ever played a game of footy? Not everything can be thought through in a structured decision making framework like a lot of pundits suggest. Things happen quickly, you react with instinct. Viney routinely breaks tackles this way, with the tackler going over the top. If he didn't break the tackle, he would not receive a free, as he ducked his head. Not that hard to comprehend.
Then you're admitting it's his fault if he gets his head taken off.

Played football for 8 years. 4 years of senior football. From 2000-2008. My first year of football was U/15. Was told to turn my body to protect myself as that was the safest way to go about it. In the ruck I was taught to jump with my knee up and turn. I had a poor leap so had to get close and jump early and try and use my knee to hit an opponent.

So if Jack Viney goes in with his head down and a tackler shooting over him, is that a good way to go about it? What’s not hard to comprehend is protecting your skull with your most valuable asset inside. So run in and turn you’re goddam body and once you’ve picked up the ball look up.

You’re clearly one of these people who expect players to lead in with eyes down and to get rewarded for getting their lights knocked out.

That’s another tactic exploited by the coaches to draw free kicks.

You are right players to a varying degree know how to protect themselves but it is a dying art because you are awarded the fee kick. 20-30years no one drew head high contact because you would of been flattened with no free kick and the bumper wouldn’t face suspension

(Log in to remove this ad.)

True, but more people get fined and suspended for bumping then tackling.
Yah but that doesn't make a bump this malicious act. Anyway this isn't gonna go anywhere but Jetta contributes as much to the high contact as McStay does

Absolutely it is. I'm saying it's near impossible to override instinct with logic in <1 second
So......? Why is he then protected because of this? You duck your head, it’s your fault. In 2015 the AFL were ‘supposed’ to clamp down on this. In classic AFL amateur fashion, the powers that be see it fit to change the rules not only year to year but week to week.

So......? Why is he then protected because of this? You duck your head, it’s your fault. In 2015 the AFL were ‘supposed’ to clamp down on this. In classic AFL amateur fashion, the powers that be see it fit to change the rules not only year to year but week to week.
He's not. You're not supposed to be rewarded a free if you duck your head.

Same goes for McStay then
Yeah but the player getting the ball is always going to be the one protected. He chose to bump, rather than tackle. Doesn't matter if the player with the ball is bent over or upright, you choose to bump instead of tackle and get them high you're in trouble.

What's this argument about again?

Is that what happened?
AS best as I can understand fromt he video that the club put out around that time. Not much was said about it, which seems odd given the climate and the media's apparent need for the public to know everything that is happening in the lives of AFL players.

Long bow to draw.
Absolutely not saying that it is the only reason. He is a guy who has overachieved for a long time, and is much closer to the end than to the start. But that little snippet from the video and the fact that it hasn't been a story means maybe there is some sensitivity being displayed around it.

I'm definitely of the mindset that once you choose to play, you are 100% good to go. But athletes are still human beings, would be a hard thing to shut out completely if true.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back