Review Dees v Lions - the Good, Bad & very Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, we really need to stop resting Gawn forward, I know hes kicked some goals but I feel like when hes forward its just a license for all our mids to play slow and bomb it forward. Would much rather him rest on the pine.
It’s his running patterns which are the issue. He always leads to the same spot as our other taller forwards. Should be running in the opposite direction because with his size he can easily drag two defenders away from the hot spot which creates space for others to drop into.

But this is a general issue with the organisation of our talls. No coordination on leads. Either everyone runs to the pocket or just stands in a pack near the goal square.

Few silly kicks to the top of the goal square didn't help. Still can improve on forward entries. A lot of our goals were scored from turnover and winning the contest when the ball hit the deck.
I recall a few shots where players were trying to be heroes by kicking the miraculous goal when a simple hand pass or centring kick was needed. Mainly in the last to my memory, a few driblers from way to far out. The one in the 3rd where there was a defender in the square was ridiculous.

It’s his running patterns which are the issue. He always leads to the same spot as our other taller forwards. Should be running in the opposite direction because with his size he can easily drag two defenders away from the hot spot which creates space for others to drop into.

But this is a general issue with the organisation of our talls. No coordination on leads. Either everyone runs to the pocket or just stands in a pack near the goal square.

the slow ball movement doesn't help either. Seems we move it far slower when we have a tall forward line.

I've never heard them boo him before, and it was only with any level of vigour for the first couple of possessions he had so I would be surprised if they were booing because of any past indiscretions against the Lions.

I have no issue with people booing, I also have no issue with May reacting the way he did. It you want to act floggish, expect a response fit for a flog.

May has generally copped a few boos from the Brisbane supporters ever since that incident against Stefan Martin 5-6 years ago. It's usually only for the first few possessions before interest is lost (I imagine cause it's been a while).

Anyway, your mob made us look pretty silly last night absolutely pantsed us everywhere especially the midfield. Clearly a step above everyone if they bring anything like the pressure from last night.

I've never heard them boo him before, and it was only with any level of vigour for the first couple of possessions he had so I would be surprised if they were booing because of any past indiscretions against the Lions.

I have no issue with people booing, I also have no issue with May reacting the way he did. It you want to act floggish, expect a response fit for a flog.
Nice work yesterday by the Dee's. Completely demolished us.

Just for some perspective on Steven May, he is one of those who we generally remember and dislike. Jeremy Cameron another for similar actions. You don't tend to forget this:

Especially when the player also does this:
And this:

I can't say I'd generally boo him, but he's one Lions fans remember. Loved the Dee's winning the premiership last year, hated seeing May get a medal.

Anyway, I'll leave you guys to it. Nice work again.

Bedford, spargo, Pickett do we just go the 3 smalls will it work that often
I think Goody said in the presser we'll be flexible wrt how our forward line looks.
I think once Tom MacDonald comes in bedford will likely be back to the sub.

Nice work yesterday by the Dee's. Completely demolished us.

Just for some perspective on Steven May, he is one of those who we generally remember and dislike. Jeremy Cameron another for similar actions. You don't tend to forget this:

Especially when the player also does this:
And this:

I can't say I'd generally boo him, but he's one Lions fans remember. Loved the Dee's winning the premiership last year, hated seeing May get a medal.

Anyway, I'll leave you guys to it. Nice work again.

Nothing but love for the Stefan Martin Experience on this board. Perhaps we should boo May too come to think of it

I think Goody said in the presser we'll be flexible wrt how our forward line looks.
Ol' Steak with a side of Steak sounds like he'll probably miss the rest of the year. When Gawn's fit, I hope they bring him in for Weid and continue with the quicker forward line, at least for a few weeks.

May has generally copped a few boos from the Brisbane supporters ever since that incident against Stefan Martin 5-6 years ago. It's usually only for the first few possessions before interest is lost (I imagine cause it's been a while).

Anyway, your mob made us look pretty silly last night absolutely pantsed us everywhere especially the midfield. Clearly a step above everyone if they bring anything like the pressure from last night.

Always got the feeling May was trying to build a proper rivalry between the Suns and Lions with the way he used to lay out some of your blokes. Might have worked if both sides came good while he was there.

May played sheepish, very much lacking his usual swagger last night, didnt see him barking at teammates like he was previously either, a good punch to gob usually does that :tearsofjoy:

Unpopular Opinion: As much as I like his extensive kit-bag/tool-belt, we don't need TMac, he needs to have a really prolonged preseason, probably start as soon as now. The way the smalls played last night was sensational. Pickett, Spargo,Bedford, Bowey and Viney all were buzzing around and upped the pressure immensely. And all were in critical positions too. All that pressure and inferred pressure made guys like Lever,Petty,Weideman, Jackson etc... feel that much bigger to the opposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After last night, the default has to be that Bedford stays in and when Gawn comes back he replaces Weid, with Jacko going back to the second tall forward/back up ruck.

Tough for Tmac to get back in, he’ll have to bang the door down in the 2s to prove he’s fit and moving well and then hope our forward line is back to not functioning.

Tough for Tmac to get back in, he’ll have to bang the door down in the 2s to prove he’s fit and moving well and then hope our forward line is back to not functioning.
Minimum 3 months out, resting his foot... that's without surgery, I believe.

heres some more info

After last night, the default has to be that Bedford stays in and when Gawn comes back he replaces Weid, with Jacko going back to the second tall forward/back up ruck.

Certainly a good opportunity for Bedford to cement his spot. Goodwin alluded to a horses for courses situation. When is Tom McDonald meant to come back in? Wouldn't want to mix things up so close to finals if the chemistry is right.

He definitely seemed a little punch drunk.
Shocked Denzel Washington GIF by Golden Globes

The jaw-droppingly awesome: Jack Viney - I said earlier in the thread he’s like a rabid dog. Moreover, if you crossed one with an extremist fanatic. He’s absolutely savage when he goes to that level, reminiscent of West Coast 2017.

Good:
Dominated them in the contest, we won’t lose too many games if Viney, Petracca and Oliver get 100 disposals and 28 clearances between them.

Lever - he was terrific and played with authority rather than the O Mac type of stuff we’ve seen from him recently.

Quarters 2, 3 and 4 - 14.17.101 to 4.7.31

Jackson - intriguing ruck battle but he was excellent as a link in the chain when we moved it forward.

Weideman and Brown - I thought both of them competed well enough in the air to let our smalls go to work.

Hibberd - still our best small defender.

Brayshaw - flourishing at half back

Jordon - very good on the wing

Bedford and Spargo were good at ground level.

Harmes - excellent job on Neale.

Fritsch - for his finishing and hitting some bodies.

Bad
The first quarter - we looked s**t and were lucky to be that close at quarter time.

May - he is obviously key to our structure but I thought he had a pretty sloppy individual game.

Fritsch - redeemed himself late but some of his early cattery made me throw my shoe at the TV.

Accuracy - we left a bit out there with missed shots from good positions. A 64 point margin flattered them.

Fugly
My meltdown in the first.

Sorry for the intrusion.

Couldn’t help thinking that Mark Twain could have written the match report with his quote ‘news of my death has been greatly exaggerated’

Some will say the Dees are back, I’ve always felt they never left. A huge statement win. The benchmark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back