Review Dees v Lions: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. Like I have the last few times we've played them, my hard earned is on the Kangas. They are our bogey side and we are playing nowhere near good enough footy. Very unconvincing start to this season tbh..
Pump your $'s on early and often if you are backing the kangas, good for me when our boys drift in the betting. We will beat North.

Jones kicked two goals. Petracca's got the yips which sucks. Salem and Harmes are the two 'utilities' who get away with murder by not contributing. Dont get me started on Bugg.
The concern is that you could find faults in the way every player is going about it, we need to identify the serious deficiencies and address those. It actually also comes down to an attitudinal response, how much do these guys really want to change?

The whole playing 4 quarters thing is of a bygone era. Football is all about momentum now, the competition is so even no side dominates 4 quarters and if you do it’s a 15 goal win of which you don’t see happen to often.

But in the times you don’t have the momentum you need to limit the damage and try to control the game back into your favour.

One of our issues is not nailing sides when we have momentum and the biggest issue is giving up to many goals when momentum is against us.
I think you and I will be agreeing to disagree a fair bit but it doesn’t mean I don’t value your input.

My view is that the way we allow our opponent back into the contest is reflective of poor effort and not having an ability to withstand pressure. When, as you say, sides provide the surge, we seem to wilt. You’re right in the sense that sides will go through periods of resurgence, but the limitation of that damage to our lead is what is going to make us or break us against better sides.

I’ve seen plenty of good sides just pile on goal after goal after goal until a 70 or 80 point margin is achieved, so it can be done, but our ability to deal with the kickback from our opponents is what is keeping us out of the 8 in my opinion.

It all starts with North Melbourne.

You’d think we are the reigning premiers with the expectations people are putting on us in here far out. I thought I rate us highly but some of you must be expecting a flag?
No, it’s simple, people expect a club who should finish 7th or 8th to turn a 40 point lead into a 60-70 point lead against Brisbane, a non finals contender in most people’s opinion.

No, it’s simple, people expect a club who should finish 7th or 8th to turn a 40 point lead into a 60-70 point lead against Brisbane, a non finals contender in most people’s opinion.

The bombers who finished 7th last year literally played the exact same game against Brisbane in the same round at the GABBA last year. Open up early lead, nearly lose it but do enough to win. You don’t understand how close the comp is if you’re expecting us to beat the lions by that much, the bottom teams are much better than they were a few years ago.

Now if we played a game like that at the MCG I would agree with the complaints, but interstate? I just want 4 points when we get on that plane.

I think you and I will be agreeing to disagree a fair bit but it doesn’t mean I don’t value your input.

My view is that the way we allow our opponent back into the contest is reflective of poor effort and not having an ability to withstand pressure. When, as you say, sides provide the surge, we seem to wilt. You’re right in the sense that sides will go through periods of resurgence, but the limitation of that damage to our lead is what is going to make us or break us against better sides.

I’ve seen plenty of good sides just pile on goal after goal after goal until a 70 or 80 point margin is achieved, so it can be done, but our ability to deal with the kickback from our opponents is what is keeping us out of the 8 in my opinion.

It all starts with North Melbourne.
The difference between the good teams and great teams is the ability to recognise instinctively and adjust to the change in momentum. This turns a run of 5-7 goals (as we've seen in our first 2 matches) into 2-3 goal runs at worse. Ideally you're able to just lock the whole thing down and stop the scoring altogether until you can regroup.

Presently we seem to just ride the wave until plan A starts working again.

On a different topic, and I've not watched last nights game yet, but we need to get Hunt back to the HB line so we can use his run and carry. Jetta and Wagner are both to defence in nature to be in the same backline. I think this is part of the reason Nev is playing like pus. Needs to not worry about rebound, just defend like your life depends on it. I'm not a massive rap for Frost as I think he gets beaten to easily for a bloke of his dimentions, but we do need help for Lever. Maybe while TMac is out we play Pedo back and bring Wied in, but either way we need to do something.

The bombers who finished 7th last year literally played the exact same game against Brisbane in the same round at the GABBA last year. Open up early lead, nearly lose it but do enough to win. You don’t understand how close the comp is if you’re expecting us to beat the lions by that much, the bottom teams are much better than they were a few years ago.

Now if we played a game like that at the MCG I would agree with the complaints, but interstate? I just want 4 points when we get on that plane.
It’s not necessarily the result. It’s the methodology. The errors in judgement, the poor entrances into 50, the missed goals, the turnovers etc.

That’s what is bothering me.

If i was goodwin i wouls be throwing wet bars of soap at the players until they learn to catch it, i know it was humid and the ball was slippery but it seemed the lions players were much cleaner.....we need to train for all conditions.

Of those first 4 goals in the 4th to the lions, two were from turnovers, one from a stoppage (zorko goal) and one from a dumb free kick in the goal square.

Just shows how quickly it can turn if you switch off for any period of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difference between the good teams and great teams is the ability to recognise instinctively and adjust to the change in momentum. This turns a run of 5-7 goals (as we've seen in our first 2 matches) into 2-3 goal runs at worse. Ideally you're able to just lock the whole thing down and stop the scoring altogether until you can regroup.

Presently we seem to just ride the wave until plan A starts working again.

On a different topic, and I've not watched last nights game yet, but we need to get Hunt back to the HB line so we can use his run and carry. Jetta and Wagner are both to defence in nature to be in the same backline. I think this is part of the reason Nev is playing like pus. Needs to not worry about rebound, just defend like your life depends on it. I'm not a massive rap for Frost as I think he gets beaten to easily for a bloke of his dimentions, but we do need help for Lever. Maybe while TMac is out we play Pedo back and bring Wied in, but either way we need to do something.
Isn’t Weidemann injured?

Good- getting the win.
Bad- giving up a big lead.
Ugly- watching the game again and I am certain when Bailey Fritsch got that chest injury, the lions player kneed him deliberately in the tackle. And Jordan Lewis is no bueno!

It’s not necessarily the result. It’s the methodology. The errors in judgement, the poor entrances into 50, the missed goals, the turnovers etc.

No team has it all together right at the start of the season

Hopefully he went ok. I’d consider moving him in for Pedersen.
He seemed to go okay and booted 3 early on - but I was only really following via twitter updates. Also, there’s limited intel you can really take away from a practice match against Frankston.

I agree - I feel that we might just need a couple of weeks to get into a rhythm, certainly some other teams are having similar problems with one less practice match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back