Review Dees v Maggies - the Good, Bad & Fugly on Queens Birthday - Round 13, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'll come back with a full review a bit later, but the one saving grace is that we're saving the sh*t performances for the bottom teams and beating the top teams, which is still much better than the alternative and gives me hope for the finals.

Our record vs top-10 teams:

7 wins 0 losses / 141%

Our record vs bottom-8 teams:

4 wins 2 losses / 124%

Work that one out.
We’re the upside down version of Port.
Honestly expected the board to be a blazing inferno by now. Think weve handled it pretty well all things considered given what we dished up today.
I melted pretty hard after Adelaide and felt pretty stupid when we came out and roasted the Dogs and Brissy. Today was eerily similar - chuck in the Buckley factor too. Not a punter but got on the Pies earlier in the week. Hopefully, we can fire up after the bye.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I'll come back with a full review a bit later, but the one saving grace is that we're saving the sh*t performances for the bottom teams and beating the top teams, which is still much better than the alternative and gives me hope for the finals.

Our record vs top-10 teams:

7 wins 0 losses / 141%

Our record vs bottom-8 teams:

4 wins 2 losses / 124%

Work that one out.
I reckon the boys switched off in the last 10 minutes of the Adelaide game because they started thinking about taking on the "form team" in the Doggies.

No idea what happened today. Travel, hubs, tired, who knows. Gawn and T'mac looked gassed in the first quarter. We usually cover a few players ******* up, today we had more than a few.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Disagree with this, Adelaide played bloody well and we weren't actually that bad. They played as well as they could possibly play.

Collingwood weren't that good, we were pathetic. Even our goals came from missed handballs or some luck. We didn't deserve to be within 5 goals of them at the end.

We smacked Adelaide in the middle just lost a really close game.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm 34 years old, I thought I'd gone past taking these sort of losses personally lol.

Good- Jacko, looking more composed by the week. Hasnt even played 20 games.

Bad- how can these blokes not get themselves switched on for this game? It's 1 day a year, for a bloke like Neale Daniher who gets himself up every day. Surely you try to honour the occasion, his legacy and the like. Especially knowing Collingwood were going to get up for Buckley. I can handle skill errors, but lack of effort and intent..

Ugly- losing like that and not playing for another 12 days. So Melbourne like.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm 34 years old, I thought I'd gone past taking these sort of losses personally lol.

Good- Jacko, looking more composed by the week. Hasnt even played 20 games.

Bad- how can these blokes not get themselves switched on for this game? It's 1 day a year, for a bloke like Neale Daniher who gets himself up every day. Surely you try to honour the occasion, his legacy and the like. Especially knowing Collingwood were going to get up for Buckley. I can handle skill errors, but lack of effort and intent..

Ugly- losing like that and not playing for another 12 days. So Melbourne like.
classic dees, get the maximum amount of mid season break to feel bad about a loss.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Free kick count was 27-17, the Deeeees way, was it not.? Just saying.

Sorry, my comment was pretty sloppy. Wasn't meaning to say the free kick was one sided, more that I was confused by umpiring in general
In what world was that even a slight issue today. Collingwood didn't nearly double our scoring shots because Ben Brown didn't play.

Weid wasn't the reason why we lost. It was a combined team effort to play that poor

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also fugly:
fu** Collingwood - consistently hard to beat even when they’re sh*t. Compare them to us when we used to roll up to QB in the Bailey/Neeld years and we’d get absolutely roasted.
In all fairness Collingwood were a bloody good team in 2010/11 and in 2010 we had a 1 point loss and a draw in their premiership year. Every other year yes we were poo. 07 we rolled them as well when we were rubbish.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
In all fairness Collingwood were a bloody good team in 2010/11 and in 2010 we had a 1 point loss and a draw in their premiership year. Every other year yes we were poo. 07 we rolled them as well when we were rubbish.

Dude they've had the wood over us for years don't sugarcoat it. Losing to them this year is unacceptable.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dude they've had the wood over us for years don't sugarcoat it. Losing to them this year is unacceptable.
Not saying it's acceptable, but Collingwood are nowhere near as bad as what we were in those years particularly under neeld and we haven't proven to be as good as Collingwood were. I still think we are a good team but we haven't done s**t yet.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Not saying it's acceptable, but Collingwood are nowhere near as bad as what we were in those years particularly under neeld and we haven't proven to be as good as Collingwood were. I still think we are a good team but we haven't done sh*t yet.

Yeah fair, especially after today.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GatesOfHell

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weid is Melbourne’s worst key forward since David Cordner circa 1985.

Last edited:
Good-
JACKSON IS A STAR
He will 100% be our no.1 ruck next year, he breaks even in terms of hitouts despite giving up a few kg's on most rucks, give him time to develop a connection with our mids and he'll get more creative and damaging with his taps. We already win more clearances with him instead of Gawn and his follow up work today was fantastic, as he gets more confident is his ability he will start to take the game on more and hopefully become another damaging mid. His aerial presence was felt today and once he gains some consistency there watch out.

I thought Hunt was pretty good, needed that to cement a spot in the side, Bowey still breathing down his neck however.

Jordon was very good and one of our highest ranked players despite playing 57% gametime, what's up with that???

May was good again

Bad-

Gawn's 1st half was pitiful, just embarrassing.

Tracc and Oliver both had their worst games of the year, role players playing well is all well and good but we still need our stars to perform.

Trent's kicking was bad :(

Ugly-
GTFO Weideman u absolute spud, if you haven't given up hope that he can be a premiership FF, u still have time, it's over, kaput, kablammo, goneski.
Never seen a bloke pop up on screen twice in a quarter and both times be outmarked by his opponent as he provides no contest, 4 handballs, 0 marks, 0 scoring shots is dreadful, one of the worst individual performances you will ever see.
I don't even care who comes in, Benny Brown, Mitch Brown, MAJAK, a small forward, for christ's sake even Austin Bradtke would be better.

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good : Luke Jackson
Salem’s disposal stood out like dogs balls.
Losing now . Seeing how teams try to beat us and what happens when we collectively don’t turn up to play. Have another 10 weeks to work on it.
The week off . We need it.

Bad : Just about everyone. Lack of pressure which we’ve built our game on. 7 forward 50 tackles for the day.

Ugly : Weid. Don’t care that the ball wasn’t presented to him on a platter. He was bloody useless today. Twice was out marked by Moore when all he had to do was make a contest which directly led to 2 Collingwood goals. One was the last in the 3rd when we’d got back into the game. Give Brown a chance and if he does no better they can both stay out. Would rather Melksham playing as a defensive forward on the opposition’s intercept defenders.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Good: was at work with no public holiday here

Bad: sounds like we just rocked up and tried to win in natural ability and system and didn’t bring the effort that has seen us beat the top 8 sides.

The North game had a funk about it after we came off the high of beating Richmond on Anzac eve. Hard to be up for every single week of the year. But it needs to be addressed.

Ugly: if we don’t roll Essendon and GWS. We need to get the back half off to a good start to keep the belief up.

I’m strangely more confident against Port at AO than those two.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good-
JACKSON IS A STAR
He will 100% be our no.1 ruck next year, he breaks even in terms of hitouts despite giving up a few kg's on most rucks, give him time to develop a connection with our mids and he'll get more creative and damaging with his taps. We already win more clearances with him instead of Gawn and his follow up work today was fantastic, as he gets more confident is his ability he will start to take the game on more and hopefully become another damaging mid. His aerial presence was felt today and once he gains some consistency there watch out.

I thought Hunt was pretty good, needed that to cement a spot in the side, Bowey still breathing down his neck however.

Jordon was very good and one of our highest ranked players despite playing 57% gametime, what's up with that???

May was good again

Bad-

Gawn's 1st half was pitiful, just embarrassing.

Tracc and Oliver both had their worst games of the year, role players playing well is all well and good but we still need our stars to perform.

Trent's kicking was bad :(

Ugly-
GTFO Weideman u absolute spud, if you haven't given up hope that he can be a premiership FF, u still have time, it's over, kaput, kablammo, goneski.
Never seen a bloke pop up on screen twice in a quarter and both times be outmarked by his opponent as he provides no contest, 4 handballs, 0 marks, 0 scoring shots is dreadful, one of the worst individual performances you will ever see.
I don't even care who comes in, Benny Brown, Mitch Brown, MAJAK, a small forward, for christ's sake even Austin Bradtke would be better.
The Frosty schtick is great and all but saying Hunt had a pretty good game is full potato mate, can't take anything you say seriously after that :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:

The Frosty schtick is great and all but saying Hunt had a pretty good game is full potato mate, can't take anything you say seriously after that :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy:
yeah fair, it was much better than his last few weeks where he has barely touched the ball though, he started to break the lines again today. I don't really care about turnovers if the player is taking the game on and breaking lines, the Frosty effect.

yeah fair, it was much better than his last few weeks where he has barely touched the ball though, he started to break the lines again today. I don't really care about turnovers if the player is taking the game on and breaking lines, the Frosty effect.
His kicking was poor but I liked his run too.

Bloody frustrating game to be at. I was buzzed before the bounce but about 10minutes in the MFCSS started coming. Too cute at times, ALWAYS kicking deep into the pockets, missing targets everywhere.
Jackson was good. Sparta kinda lovely. Salem solid. Otherwise pretty insipid across the board.

On our defence, it seemed we didn't work out the dimensions of the ground or something. I was right at the centre-wing boundary and even when we were set were letting the ball over the back easily. Poor by everyone involved.
Too shitty on the bus to melt properly over Weid and Gawn (another bath from a no-name spud!). Might do that when I'm home.

Piesnchess

Team Captain
Sep 13, 2009
Mt Evelyn
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have no doubt one big reason we won today, was that all the pressure was on you guys, and none on us. Nobody tipped us, rank outsiders, whereas you had huge pressure, top ladder side, thus we played with flair, cos we cant make the Finals, plus we wanted to send Bucks off on a high, another reason. We are team building now, bringing in young kids, played 8 debutants so far this season, so its all in the future for us. We may cause a few big upsets yet, this season too, to other top sides, wont be just the Deees.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
His kicking was poor but I liked his run too.

Bloody frustrating game to be at. I was buzzed before the bounce but about 10minutes in the MFCSS started coming. Too cute at times, ALWAYS kicking deep into the pockets, missing targets everywhere.
Jackson was good. Sparta kinda lovely. Salem solid. Otherwise pretty insipid across the board.

On our defence, it seemed we didn't work out the dimensions of the ground or something. I was right at the centre-wing boundary and even when we were set were letting the ball over the back easily. Poor by everyone involved.
Too shitty on the bus to melt properly over Weid and Gawn (another bath from a no-name spud!). Might do that when I'm home.
Feeling down about your team‘s performance? Stuck on a Greyhound with random smells and nothing to look forward to?

Why not visit the demon dog thread

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Maybe we have Blockbuster fatigue??

I don't know. It's hard to go full melt when we're 11-2. Boys looked tired today though. Yes, they were lazy campaigners and I'm definitely not letting them off the hook completely. We've had a good run. However the Bombers and GWS games are must win games now if we are to book a place in the Top4 IMO. Tough run home will see a few losses. You have to find form in the back half of the season and hit the finals running. That starts with the Bombers and GWS(hopefully both in Melb).

Weid. Bloody hell mate. The rare contest you got to you get outmarked. I think two of those times led to goals straight up the other end. Yes, the ball use into the F50 was poor and Collingwood (as sh*t sides do flood the defence) but show something!!! Show some fight. Some mongrel. Show you want that FF position in a side that looks bound for finals! 3 goals in 5 or 6 weeks is pathetic for a FF fighting for his spot. I don't just judge him on today but the last 5 or 6 weeks. We either get BBB in and leave him there, or we keep both in the VFL. I'm very reluctant to have either in our senior team. We looked better, less predictable without BBB or Weid tbh.

Gawn. Seriously. WTF is with him playing poorly against an unknown ruckman! Had a chance to completely dominate today and put up one of the poorest first halves you will see from a 4 time AA player. He lost the hitout count to M.Lynch! Who da fuc is that!!??

Tackles/chasing/1%ers. Where was that today? Gawn came out and said we were still the hunters and not the hunted during the week! BS. We played like a deer in the headlights. Refused to chase and tackle. 4 tackles between Trac, Oliver and JJ suggests we just didn't give Collingwood any respect. Was lazy campaigner football that reaked of a side thinking if it shows up it wins. ANB, Koz and Spargo had 4 between them also which suggests it wasn't just the mids who were lazy. This resulted in 7 goals between 2 of their tall forwards due to lack of pressure coming in. Imagine we do that against Geelong or Richmond! We would get raped. Pressure and intent has to be there every week, that is why we have gotten to the top.

Jackson. Good. Bloody good. Showed intent early and played arguably his best game for us. Led the way. Probably along with Salem, the only couple who can walk off proud of their efforts.

Outcoached. Bucks beat Goodwin today. And by a fair margin too. A sacked coach. I thought it was smart playing DeGoey and Elliott more through the middle tbh. They play in the F50 and they have minimal impact against our structure. A few other things I noticed that made me think Bucks was having a blinder against Goodwin.

Respond. It's all how we respond now. Typical of Dees to go into a bye stewing on a loss like this. But we need to come out and breathe fire against the Bombers or we run the real risk of missing Top 4. Not panic button yet of course. But we simply must come out and beat the Bombers.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back