Review Dees v Maggies - the Good, Bad & Fugly on Queens Birthday - Round 13, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

I kind of see the next two games like the Freo/Syd games from last year. Instead this time we are fighting for Top 4. Playing against dangerous teams that aren't in the 8, yet we should win and must win both if we are to be serious about September. What have we learned? Can we respond? The bye adds an extra layer of intrigue. Will we be flat or will the rest see us fresh and reignited? Big couple of games tbh that leads into the pointy end of the home and away season with some very tough matches to come.

I wouldn't be too concerned, you've done the same to us over the years on a few occasions, in reality the bye is probably coming at the perfect time for you and no doubt a few players were already looking forward to it.

At 11-2 at the halfway point you're pretty well set with plenty of good talent.

I wouldn't be too concerned, you've done the same to us over the years on a few occasions, in reality the bye is probably coming at the perfect time for you and no doubt a few players were already looking forward to it.

At 11-2 at the halfway point you're pretty well set with plenty of good talent.
You’re 5-1 against us post-QB 2017, definitely have the wood in recent times

I really don't think it's as simple as saying Ben Brown comes in for Weideman. The question is why can't we just revert back to our forward set up those first couple of games? Having Tmac and Jackson as the mobile key forward small to medium types around them. On form if they want to go another tall forward then I think its actually Mitch Brown who's ahead of Ben Brown. That's on gut instinct.
If it was up to me personally I'd throw Petty up forward. Thought he showed far more potential up forward in 2019 then what Weid has produced the past 12 months. But again, that leaves a hole down back.

Need to sort out this forward structure in the meantime and work out what's going to work come 2nd half of the year.

Wow, that really surprises me given how often you’ve troubled us in the past when our fortunes were opposite to now and given how easily you won that 1 game last year.
Yeah, we also troubled Richmond a lot between 2014-3QT 2017 (when we had zero fit players on the bench), but they easily beat us 2018-2020. It’s a weird one. We similarly match up v well against the Dogs

I had a great weekend even if we lost:

Discovered shallots are the perfect addition to Hot Dogs. If you've got some shallots spare in the fridge (and why wouldn't you, they're amazing), add some to your next Dog. Didn't realise Mustard and Spring Onions were so perfect together. Almost as good a combo as Dees playing really well for a couple of weeks and then absolutely shitting the bed against a ******* crap ******* footy team.
Also had some great scores at the Antiques market in the morning, some really nice vintage money boxes to add to my collection of vintage money boxes.
A couple of 70s and 80s matchbox cars, two nice CD's. Some AMAZING hard rubbish scores today as well, including this lamp that is a naked dude and the power switch is his dick. Classy!!!
That's a solid afternoon's work, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter - even if you do slag off my adopted state with extreme prejudice.

That's a solid afternoon's work, and I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter - even if you do slag off my adopted state with extreme prejudice.
Haha, I think you got me wrong about Tassie. I was supposed to be there for Dark Mofo (have worked on the festival before), was really looking forward to it too... had to cancel my plans due to COVID. Might have to visit in summer again :)

No good out of that.

Bad:
Playing like millionaires
Forwards generally
Weid specifically. Zero kicks zero marks is completely unacceptable. I’m sorry but drop him. He was not on Moore and he barely got near it.
Kicking in hope.

Ugly:
As previous
Three hours to stew on a bus home

Pretty predictable result with the combination of a massive let down after two big wins and the Woods being determined to give Buckley a good send off. Not sure it says much about the rets of the season.

Nothing much good about that performance. Jackson was great while May, Oliver, Jordon and maybe Gawn could hold their heads up. Otherwise it was all pretty bad. Delivery inside forward 50 was truly ugly, but that doesn't excuse Weideman whose performance was putrid .... again.

I know Melksham's not popular on this board, but at least he knows how to lower the eyes and pinpoint a pass inside 50. We need him back for that alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just put in a cameo request with Lockhart. Asked him to give a pep talk to my friends Christian, Clayton and Max about showing up for work and giving their best every day.

For $15 I’ll get him thrown right off the team.

Fascinated to see if he actually does it

Woke up and still feeling pissed off about that result, good to know the losses still really sting.

Interesting no-one has mentioned Petty. I thought he was absolute Pox.
He was s**t, but he's been ok the past few weeks.

The same reason people probably lay off McDonald, Fritsch, Brayshaw, Spargo, lever etc.

The reason people are into Weideman is because yesterday wasn't isolated, he's been s**t since coming back in. McDonald has had an awesome year but he was s**t yesterday, was outmarked that many times. Fritsch too. Pickett, dare I say it, never really got into it. Spargo battled away but never looked dangerous.

At 11-2 we definitely should be happier, and give them the benefit of the doubt of just being tired or before the bye or whatever. Unfortunately, we've been beaten twice by 2 average teams who played a very similar way, and we never looked like fixing it. Some of the easy entries they had inside 50 were 2019 level. If our midfield want to play unaccountable, easy footy, then petty/lever etc are nearly always going to look s**t.

It took everyone having a mare to get to that point too though. Yesterday wasn’t a classic Melbourne where we have warriors but a few key actors weren’t up to it. I would say 18/22 were not on yesterday for whatever reason. From our best in Oliver and Trac right through to Sparrow.

Whole team mares happen.

Was a good wake up call hopefully to some of our ''Rockstar'' players who think they are far better than what they actually are

Weideman is done, we basically could have just left his jersey on the field and it would have given us the same impact as to what he gave (zero)

In - B Brown, Viney (If fit), Lockhart
Out - Weideman, Sparrow, Hunt

Still in a foul mood after yesterday's performance, but I reckon we should make a call on both Weid and B.Brown at season's end and improve our draft hand to pick up a tall forward who is more suited to our needs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back