Review Dees v Maggies - the Good, Bad & Fugly on Queens Birthday - Round 13, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Still in a foul mood after yesterday's performance, but I reckon we should make a call on both Weid and B.Brown at season's end and improve our draft hand to pick up a tall forward who is more suited to our needs.
Like who? Their aren't star key forwards looking to leave clubs.

Pretty happy that I drank a heap of Whiskey sours and dropped a few edibles

Some of the players on his that are copping a bagging I thought played ok, but I was fairly hammered so maybe they weren't

Was a good wake up call hopefully to some of our ''Rockstar'' players who think they are far better than what they actually are

Weideman is done, we basically could have just left his jersey on the field and it would have given us the same impact as to what he gave (zero)

In - B Brown, Viney (If fit), Lockhart
Out - Weideman, Sparrow, Hunt

Have been saying same about Weideman for years. His only footballing attributes worth noting seem to be that he’a 6’5 and shares the surname of a Pies great from the 60’s. Oh and apparently according to some of our supporters he’s a gun at “bringing the ball to ground”. Whoop-dee-doo.

I’d even argue that he’s no good at that!

Last edited:

Have been saying same about Weideman for years. His only footballing attributes worth noting seem to be that he’a 6’5 and shares the surname of a Pies great from the 60’s. Oh and apparently according to some of our supporters he’s a gun at “bringing the ball to ground”. Whoop-dee-doo.

I’d even argue that he’s no good at that!

He is actually worse than ever

Watching him in the VFL earlier in season i had high hopes he would deliver. We basically have been playing with 21 players.

Bring in either Brown next fortnight

IMO this season is the worst Weid has ever played. He was tracking pretty well early in his career, his 2018 finals series was great, some excellent moments last year. Never shirks a contest, takes a hit and dusts himself off again. Clearly down on confidence at the moment which is odd because that's never seemed to be an issue before.

Don't think the team did him any favours yesterday. He had some crappy moments early, but he was the best option a few times in the second half but our mids tried to do some heroic/random bullshit and ignored him altogether.

Love Benny Brown and would be happy to see him in the side to get a "look at him" but wouldn't care if Weid gets another game. He wasn't the problem yesterday but he's on thin ice for sure.

Would not be surprised if Weid has played his last senior game in red and blue.

I don't understand his TOG %. 72%, 70%, 72%, 82%, 69%. He should be up around 85%+.

Both Brown's will play 95%+ of the game, occasionally even 100%. That's more time opportunity for mids to get a breather, more time running opposition defenders around.

IMO this season is the worst Weid has ever played. He was tracking pretty well early in his career, his 2018 finals series was great, some excellent moments last year. Never shirks a contest, takes a hit and dusts himself off again. Clearly down on confidence at the moment which is odd because that's never seemed to be an issue before.

Don't think the team did him any favours yesterday. He had some crappy moments early, but he was the best option a few times in the second half but our mids tried to do some heroic/random bullshit and ignored him altogether.

Love Benny Brown and would be happy to see him in the side to get a "look at him" but wouldn't care if Weid gets another game. He wasn't the problem yesterday but he's on thin ice for sure.
The last 3 years have proved he can't play well with Tmac

His best form last year was when Tmac was out of the side

I want Brown to be given a month of footy to gel with Tmac and if that doesn't work we go back to Tmac being the only KPF in the side

I honestly think the players have actually lost trust in Sam in this regard. I said this to my dad that several times Weids was one out deep forward yet players refused to get it quick and long, and instead rather look for that one too many handball. That was pretty concerning to see.

Not saying Ben Brown immediately comes in as it depends on form, but had that been Brown deep forward instead of Weideman, then I can guarantee that first option is certainly a quick kick forward.

He was. But he’s still learning on the job and we don’t really have any other KPD options with Smith and Hore injured.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm a massive advocate for Hore.i wouldn't have Joel Smith anywhere near the best 22.
Or.that other smith that wasn't very Handy

Agree that Weid’s time is up. And to round us off we still need a young key forward if Jackson is seen as a long term ruck and Ben Brown’s age/fitness is against him. I know Ben King is pointed to StKilda but I’d get rid of Weid and throw everything at the off chance of getting Ben King to MFC. Yeah I know the chances are very slim to nothing but at least have a sniff.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No good out of that.

Bad:
Playing like millionaires
Forwards generally
Weid specifically. Zero kicks zero marks is completely unacceptable. I’m sorry but drop him. He was not on Moore and he barely got near it.
Kicking in hope.

Ugly:
As previous
Three hours to stew on a bus home
Yeah the bus home wasn't fun. I'd booked the 6pm one in the naive hope we'd have the game wrapped early in the last. Instead I looked like a bandwagoner bailing from a sinking ship.

Credit to Collingwood. They wanted it more. That simple.

Our lack of "want" is concerning
Gawn copped a bath, was a little to laconic for my like-ing. Too casual from the getgo, what message does that send to his players?!
our senior mids (Clayton and Track) laid something like 4 tackles. Harmes laid 6 but my point being what's a young player : James Jordan going to do? He',ll follow Clayton and CP5s lead. The lack thereof defensive pressure up the ground was an aboration. Unforgivable.
Worst loss since last year.
Some of our Inside50s were down right brain dead.
We looked bereft of intensity, not sure how since we had a ten day break

There is being beaten and then there is the crap we served up yesterday. I said it early in the match we were trying to be too cute and boy did we get punished for it . Can only hope it was a collective brain fade by the team , and not a sign of things to come .

Let's not kid ourselves, brown coming in hardly "fixes" anything.

The biggest upside to brown is he potentially jags 2-3 goals with his ability to draw free kicks, but he's still near useless without the ball.

Would nearly prefer Mitch brown, as surely then they need to lead up at the ball and stop the dump kicks to a 3 on 4 in 50.

I've called down today and think this might be a good reality check. Not that they should need a reality check after winning 0 finals so far.

Being 11-2 at the bye and feeling flat is so dees, I know I should be more optimistic, but it doesn’t take much for that MFCSS to come out.

Still confident we can knock off gws/suns/hawks/crows, get’s us to 15 wins and we’ll take at least another big scalp this season. Looking forward to the second half of the season.

Last edited:
Being 11-2 at the bye and feeling flat is so dees, I know I should be more optimistic, but it doesn’t take much for that MFCSS to come out.

Still confident we can knock off gws/suns/hawks/crows, get’s us to 14 wins and we’ll take at least another big scalp this season. Looking forward to the second half of the season.

Port at AO is huge

Remove this Banner Ad

Back