Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
So your sample size is 4, how about the next 13 when he’s been the worst key forward in the game playing a roll he’s not up to

Was also very good 2nd half of 2017 again when Hogan missed more than he played. I don't think TMac going to s**t in 2019 is because he is the #1 forward, I think its because his form has sharply fallen away.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good - Gawn. Wow. 34 touches and 33 hit outs. Think he is getting better each week. Phenomenal player. Must be our captain. Colossal player.

Bad - Scoring. It’s awful. 22 shots and 7 goals. It happens every week. Wasteful, disorganised, pressured. So many structural deficiencies I don’t know where to start. One paced, poor skilled, no obvious game plan. It’s a mess.

Ugly - McDonald. So badly out of form that he simply can’t stay in the side. Haven’t seen a bigger drop off in form in a player. Basically everything we are doing as a team. We are a genuine bottom 4 outfit.

Ah yes must have missed TMacs performance against the Eagles, Giants, Cats and Hawks. Or was Weid the #1 forward then?
Did you ignore the part where I explicitly referenced those games? Weideman outplayed TMac in at least three of those matches, and it’s obviously significantly easier for him when someone else is drawing the focus away. Which is fair. It’s not exactly a shock that’s he’s struggling now that Weideman isn’t in the same form and he has no body of work to suggest that he can perform as the primary focus of attention.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Did you ignore the part where I explicitly referenced those games? Weideman outplayed TMac in at least three of those matches, and it’s obviously significantly easier for him when someone else is drawing the focus away. Which is fair. It’s not exactly a shock that’s he’s struggling now that Weideman isn’t in the same form and he has no body of work to suggest that he can perform as the primary focus of attention.

Which games did he 'outplay' TMac aside from the Geelong game? TMac also slotted 6 against the Pies last year when Hogan had donuts.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Was also very good 2nd half of 2017 again when Hogan missed more than he played. I don't think TMac going to **** in 2019 is because he is the #1 forward, I think its because his form has sharply fallen away.
He was granted, and I never thought he could turn s**t in such a massive way but I had big concerns at the time about trading Hogan for the reasons we are seeing now. I never believed he was a number 1 banana and now that he’s the main opposition focus it’s come crashing down around him

Which games did he 'outplay' TMac aside from the Geelong game? TMac also slotted 6 against the Pies last year when Hogan had donuts.
Weideman 13 contested marks across those 5 games to TMac’s 6. TMac 11 goals to 8. Weideman being a force in the air across the ground was a factor in TMac’s proficiency whether you like it or not. He was drawing defenders all over.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Weideman 13 contested marks across those 5 games to TMac’s 6. TMac 11 goals to 8. Weideman being a force in the air across the ground was a factor in TMac’s proficiency whether you like it or not. He was drawing defenders all over.

I'm not saying Weideman played poorly at all, but you're kidding if you think he was outperforming TMac.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
A sloppy display . Players missing handballs , missing passes , missing set shots that they should bury at this level , or just not taking responsibility (jeffy one eg) . Aside from some individual efforts through the game i am not sure just what positives our coach is finding . They play like a group that has only been introduced to each other on game day .

I'm not saying Weideman played poorly at all, but you're kidding if you think he was outperforming TMac.
And you’re kidding if you think Weideman playing extremely well didn’t help TMac be as good as he was

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I want to start a new society, the Dom Tyson memorial society of first year player at melbourne that drop away the next season. Because it seems to be a trend

2017 Mitch Hannan plays most of the season, just gets in for finals in 2018
2018 Spargo debuts and plays every game onward, looks terrible this year. And this is good because it hides Fritta

2019 who will it be? Marty Hore, Baker and Lockheart would wanna watch out

Not sure thats really a good comparison. We improved in 2018, we picked up a few players (Fritsch etc) so there was more competition for spots. We were also playing better football, so the fringe players who rely on others to do the heavy lifting look better as well (ie Spargo). Its like Byrnes coming to the Dees from Geelong - he wasn't going to do much here, he was a cream player in a great team.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I suggest you look at the games he played when Hogan wasn't there.

Yes, but other than those games and the other games where he was the most dangerous forward on the ground with the #1 defender on him, he didn't play as the #1 forward.

Not sure thats really a good comparison. We improved in 2018, we picked up a few players (Fritsch etc) so there was more competition for spots. We were also playing better football, so the fringe players who rely on others to do the heavy lifting look better as well (ie Spargo). Its like Byrnes coming to the Dees from Geelong - he wasn't going to do much here, he was a cream player in a great team.
Spargo could just be second year blues but Fritsch has genuinely been ruined playing out of position.

Ablett2Garland

Club Legend
Apr 8, 2015
10 Beers deep with Steven May
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
San Jose Sharks, Oakland Raiders
please no more garlett, spargo rest of 2019, would rather watch preuss for 1.5qtrs before he gets gassed I50.

Bring in Dunkley

May, Lever back helps but the seasons cooked so really who cares.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Spargo could just be second year blues but Fritsch has genuinely been ruined playing out of position.

Easier to talk about the players who haven't regressed this year. Salem, Gawn, Harmes. Think that about covers it.

Hey arsebandits. Bad luck today.
I thought that the presentation of the Neale Daniher Medal today was really piss weak and a
total let down.
I am not a Melbourne or an Essendon fan by any means but I really thought the presentation today deserved more gravitas than the aside it seemed to be.
Not because a Collingwood player won it, in fact despite the fact.
I thought it deserved considerably more than what was presented,

neale

Ando727

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree. Viney just isn’t doing enough.
Viney is as dumb as a post - no way he's got the smarts to be a good captain. I hope somebody can persuade him to step down under the guise of focussing on his own form, but in truth, I'd just like to have the option of dropping him. Being tough and spinning your legs like the roadrunner does not make a captain.

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
My big take aways from yesterday
- we have lost all belief (fair enough)
- doesn’t seem to be any response from a structures and game plan point of view, still trying 2017
- starting to wonder if a couple of players may be in terminal decline

In summary, without significant changes to our coaching staff and game plan we won’t get near finals next year

Since this seems unlikely right now it looks like this list has blown its wad. Could be in for 2 more years of shot me thinks

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
My big take aways from yesterday
- we have lost all belief (fair enough)
- doesn’t seem to be any response from a structures and game plan point of view, still trying 2017
- starting to wonder if a couple of players may be in terminal decline

In summary, without significant changes to our coaching staff and game plan we won’t get near finals next year

Since this seems unlikely right now it looks like this list has blown its wad. Could be in for 2 more years of shot me thinks
Who do you reckon is in decline?

Back