Review Dees v Maggies: the Good, the Bad and the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

trade him, package up Oliver too

Hold the baby mate...did I say that?

Gawn's presence around the ground in the air is amazing. But you can't deny the midfield's output has been fantastic in games he hasn't played.

Seems a lot of them get lazy when he's in, no one has a defense aspect to their game. When they aren't so sure who will the hitouts they are more accountable and pay for more respect to their opponents. Also more likely to run harder in defensive transition coz Max isn't behind the ball to help out.

Haven’t played without Gawn since 2017 can’t really make a judgement off two games where we played shithouse teams.

We were rucking pedo back then and plying great footy, similar to the past two weeks.

Hold the baby mate...did I say that?

Gawn's presence around the ground in the air is amazing. But you can't deny the midfield's output has been fantastic in games he hasn't played.

Seems a lot of them get lazy when he's in, no one has a defense aspect to their game. When they aren't so sure who will the hitouts they are more accountable and pay for more respect to their opponents. Also more likely to run harder in defensive transition coz Max isn't behind the ball to help out.

just tongue in cheek, although you did say we should look at trading Oliver and/or brayshaw

correlation isn’t causation

just tongue in cheek, although you did say we should look at trading Oliver and/or brayshaw

correlation isn’t causation

Nothing's changed except form, we still have too many inside mids. :)

Oliver was downtrending big time until the past four or five weeks.

Happy to say he's corrected his game to a healthier balance and is actually playing like the player he should be. Been fantastic the past month .

Missed most of the 1st quarter but very happy with our game.
Good:
- Trac, Oliver, Gus and Viney worked well together. Defensively that group was a lot better and some very nice ball use too.
- Langdon played his role really well. Good to see him finally nail a goal.
- Weid and Vanders crashing packs. Spargo very smart in the fifty
No real passengers that I could see. Harmes was better with his positioning and seemed to be in the right spots down back but didn't always have a big impact. TMc also didn't have a huge game but was solid enough from what I saw.
Straight goalkicking.
Preuss nullified Grundy pretty well. Got us some good clearances occasionally.

Bad:
- Lever had a few terrible moments in an otherwise ok game.
- Umpiring remains bemusing, although we were the big beneficiaries.

Ugly:
Mihocek's injury. Nothing malicious in it, and brave from the guys flying but it wasn't nice to see. Hope he pulls up ok.

Good

- Weid competing is creating so many opportunities for our small forwards.
- Our small forwards making the most of Weid bringing ball to ground. I like the Pickett/Melksham/Spargo combo with Weid/Fritta/TMac as marking forwards.
- Spargo you beautiful little bastard. I knew you had this game in you. Keep it up.
- Backline. Gelling nicely now. Besides a couple of simple errors from Lever, our backline looks settled. I'd still like to see another running/breaking the lines defender thrown in there, but we just don't have one. Must be a target in the trade period.
- vandenBERG you tough MF! The Mihocek incident was sickening, but AVB just puts his body constantly on the line for the team. Did it a few times this game.
- Consistent 4 quarter effort. Finally.
- Langdon is proving to be a much better acquisition than the overpriced and overhyped Brad Hill. Hit the scoreboard as well which he's needed to do.
- Smashing the Pies. I couldn't care if they had their under 19's team out there, always nice to rub their noses in it.
- Goodwin. I'll eat some humble pie and say I thought his selections were off. But he's made some good calls here. Spargo for one. Picking an underdone Preuss. Playing Lockhart out of his natural position and getting him to take Nev's role. Backing in AVB and Jones(both weren't amazing, but offered more than previous weeks). Giving Gus more minutes in the middle. Keeping the 2 tall targets in the F50. I think our structure finally looks good. Still a few changes needed like Salem more in the front half and finding Harmes a role, but happy with the response by Goody.

Bad

- Umpires. It's so confusing to watch, must be worse playing it. We had the rub of the green against the Pies, but haven't had it so lucky against other sides. If we were Fremantle on the end of that loss, I'd be going nuclear! Umpiring must be addressed as it's really really bad.
- Not being able to see Eddie's face go red as they started to get thumped.

Ugly

- Not being able to see this live. F**kin sucks balls.
- Some shocking haircuts getting around.

I know you said its weird but Rampe is basically the perfect defender ATM with A+ positioning and one on one defense whilst Lockhart's positioning and one on one defense are pretty sh*t.

Feel like there could've been better comparisons. Blake Hardwick?
Nah I literally just meant in his defensive stoppage or contested ground ball work which is why I said it’s weird, wasn’t talking about anything else. I just think of Rampe as always having been particularly good at that stuff for a defender, not sure why, so would like to see Lockhart reaching the same level in that area of his game. Can’t say I’ve seen much of Hardwick

Dunno if anyone saw it but straight after the telecast they went to some bonehead panel show where Mr. Mouth Hole opens by asking Jordan Lewis "Wow, Jake Lever, playing well isn't he? Was that his best game?"

Why don't you just say: "Well, that game was ******* boring wasn't it? I know I'm paid upwards of 250,000 a year to watch just over an hour of footy a weekend but I was too busy at the water cooler slutting onto the intern who is half my age. How's the hairline going Lewis?"

Might need to contact Fox and see about getting my own panel show.

Dunno if anyone saw it but straight after the telecast they went to some bonehead panel show where Mr. Mouth Hole opens by asking Jordan Lewis "Wow, Jake Lever, playing well isn't he? Was that his best game?"

Why don't you just say: "Well, that game was ******* boring wasn't it? I know I'm paid upwards of 250,000 a year to watch just over an hour of footy a weekend but I was too busy at the water cooler slutting onto the intern who is half my age. How's the hairline going Lewis?"

Brad Johnson ?

I’m in if you want some more random opinion. I like where this is going and I reckon it’s already a great pitch. Would watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah I literally just meant in his defensive stoppage or contested ground ball work which is why I said it’s weird, wasn’t talking about anything else. I just think of Rampe as always having been particularly good at that stuff for a defender, not sure why, so would like to see Lockhart reaching the same level in that area of his game. Can’t say I’ve seen much of Hardwick
Great call.

You follow soccer/football? Rampe is the Koscielny of AFL for mine; just about great at everything(Rampe probably a better on field general than LoLo) and extremely skilled for a position where 1 on 1 defense is so crucial

Good
Collingwood spontaneously combusting and our club being the recipient, midfield dominant, functional forward line, exceptionally even performance almost across the board, anything that could go right did go right.
Bad
Harmes still dog s**t, needs a break
Ugly
Not much

Just watching the Pies game now. We look good, midfield are trying to burst out of stoppages a bit more which is making us get way more dangerous clearances. A bad though, Salem has squibbed three contests and it’s only midway through the second quarter. I’ve always seen him as being a pretty tough player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back