Review Dees v Norf and the Ghost of 1965 - the Good, Bad and Ugly

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm actually pretty confident we'll come out strong on Saturday night against Sydney, just think it was an off day all around, just one of those days where you just bank the 4 points and move on. I was pretty pissed off most of the game, but then afterwards looking at the ladder, how can you not be happy about that? Good stuff dees.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was pretty pissed off most of the game, but then afterwards looking at the ladder, how can you not be happy about that?

The game was in serious danger of being lost in the first half. Very fortunate that Fritsch was on fire.

While it's good to bank the 4 points, this team needs to learn to put the foot on the throat early, and not let up. Daresay any opponent always feels they are in with a chance against Melbourne due to the windows of opportunity Melbourne always seems to leave open. Compared with great teams like Richmond, where most opponents are already mentally resigned to a loss prior to the match.

Brothers, for the past seven weeks I have tipped against the Dees in the opening post of the Review and the results speak for themselves. I am so worried about the game to come. The Swans jumped us last year in the lead-up to the finals. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brothers, for the past seven weeks I have tipped against the Dees in the opening post of the Review and the results speak for themselves. I am so worried about the game to come. The Swans jumped us last year in the lead-up to the finals. I dont know what to do. Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
Tip against the dees.

Noticed Vanders didn't play for Casey. Is he injured, in terrible touch, or did he travel? He may have a role in the side if Viney is out for an extended period. Jones did a good job of cracking in, but wouldn't mind seeing the enforcer back if he's able to find some form.

Noticed Vanders didn't play for Casey. Is he injured, in terrible touch, or did he travel? He may have a role in the side if Viney is out for an extended period. Jones did a good job of cracking in, but wouldn't mind seeing the enforcer back if he's able to find some form.

I remember Goodwin saying that we had a number of sore players in the lead up to the game. I think we kept an extrended bench going into the game. Having the VFL play three days prior to the seniors is always going to make it awkward.

adonski

All Australian
Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm actually pretty confident we'll come out strong on Saturday night against Sydney, just think it was an off day all around, just one of those days where you just bank the 4 points and move on. I was pretty pissed off most of the game, but then afterwards looking at the ladder, how can you not be happy about that? Good stuff dees.
Felt like the loss we needed to have except we won

I was kind of thinking about our form and we haven’t been at our best yet we are 7-0. I think this is why opposition supporters are sceptical, we took a half to overcome North, 3 quarters to get the job over hawthorn ect. However I think our best has been very impressive and to be honest I would rather be in our position now rather than 2018 where we probably flog North by 100 and be nowhere near the best like Richmond.

It's a bit odd that if you only beat the poor sides it's "Who have they beaten" but if you have an ordinary game against one of those sides it's "they look vulnerable." If we had smashed Hawthorn and North for four quarters but dropped the game to Richmond we'd be 'flat-track bullies'.

I think a lot of the speculation around us is simply based on historical form and reputation. If Hawthorn, Collingwood or Sydney had the start we had no one would bat an eye at a poor quarter here or there, those teams would just be considered 'tough' and 'full of character'.

For mine, the most impressive thing about our start has been that none of our games have been close at the final siren. We have closed out every game strongly and have gotten ourselves to a comfortable lead by half way through the last quarter at the very latest.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Agreed. I know they beat us last year but back at home I think we will play significantly better than we did against north. Gawn Petracca Oliver aren’t all going to play a stinker two weeks running. Said it before the north game but I am way more confident against the swans than I was against north. I’m also never confident so who the * knows what happens this week.

Feel people are a bit harsh on Brown in here for that. Obviously hands out in front would've been better but there were a lot of great defensive efforts by North on him.
Ben McKay has found his feet big time too. One of the form players in the league right now.

Swans by 50 please.

Go the Biff

Team Captain
Feb 10, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Injured a quad I believe so out for about 3 weeks.

Swans knocked us off in critical games in 2017, 2018 and 2020. They are our only remaining bogey side, and their dominance of us at the MCG goes back to our last GF appearance. This is probably our second biggest home game of the century since two weeks ago lol.

This is probably our second biggest home game of the century since two weeks ago lol.
Please explain how? Sydney is good. They might win. Doesn't really prove much either way.

Please explain how? Sydney is good. They might win. Doesn't really prove much either way.
Because it has actual stakes. Every week everyone is like ‘oh this is the kind of game Melbourne should win but usually loses’ but this time it’s actually true

Because it has actual stakes. Every week everyone is like ‘oh this is the kind of game Melbourne should win but usually loses’ but this time it’s actually true
It'll be true all year tbh. Just gotta accept it now and get used to it.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Swans knocked us off in critical games in 2017, 2018 and 2020. They are our only remaining bogey side, and their dominance of us at the MCG goes back to our last GF appearance. This is probably our second biggest home game of the century since two weeks ago lol.

Neither of these games have been bigger than round 23 2017 and round 22 2018. Those games had huge stakes on the line.

Back