Review Dees v Norf - Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So this is what it's like to be on the other end when it comes to footy club bunnies.

Absolutely annihilated us tonight. Mids too strong, backs too strong and your forward line didn't really need much to get going either. We're a mess at the moment and there were far too many reasons to be smashed tonight (of which all came into fruition). Looked like you guys took the foot off the pedal at times and it showed on the scoreboard a bit. If I am being honest, this is a disguised 20 goal shellacking. Only positive I can think of is I had Oliver captain in SC.

It was to be expected but without our star mids firing we're always going to be vulnerable. Mid-table finishing has cursed our talent pool. Thanks for confirming what an absolute rudderless mess our recruiting and list management has been. I bloody hope Clarko can change things.

Who am I kidding, we're in for some more pain. Good luck for the rest of the year.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
So this is what it's like to be on the other end when it comes to footy club bunnies.

Absolutely annihilated us tonight. Mids too strong, backs too strong and your forward line didn't really need much to get going either. We're a mess at the moment and there were far too many reasons to be smashed tonight (of which all came into fruition). Looked like you guys took the foot off the pedal at times and it showed on the scoreboard a bit. If I am being honest, this is a disguised 20 goal shellacking. Only positive I can think of is I had Oliver captain in SC.

It was to be expected but without our star mids firing we're always going to be vulnerable. Mid-table finishing has cursed our talent pool. Thanks for confirming what an absolute rudderless mess our recruiting and list management has been. I bloody hope Clarko can change things.

Who am I kidding, we're in for some more pain. Good luck for the rest of the year.
Mate, we've been there. We know what it's like. You're in a transition period. You've got Sheezel and Wardlaw and got rid of that head case in JHF and are now heading into one of the strongest drafts for many years. I don't think it's all doom and gloom. I don't think you guys cracked in defensively tonight though but either did we against Essendon or Brisbane who flogged us for most of the game.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Schache is a younger Ben Brown. Nice skills, needs it on a platter

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Kinda boring game, seemed like we just got it forward as quick as possible and just kept them under pressure. To destroy a team like that and basically have 2 invisible key forwards is so Melbourne.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Standouts were Chandler, Hunter, thought Rivers was really good, pig dominant down back. Pickett little dashes of magic and beautiful use of the footy. Grundy dominant second half after a shaky start. Bowey looked better.

No real passengers, although think schache should never be kicked to inside 50 unless he's free

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
He's the K-Mart Jack Watts. Good agilty for his size and can hit a target, zero physicality. Bin him.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Yeah I was thinking that watching him. Exact same type of thing.
Once the coaching staff figure out he's a flanker we won't have to worry about him again. If you think he's a key position player, sure you give him a whirl when we have cooked guys fighting for a slot, once you're done with that and comparing him to flankers, he's not a patch on any of them and can finish out his days running on a wing at Casey.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
He's the K-Mart Jack Watts. Good agilty for his size and can hit a target, zero physicality. Bin him.
But we already knew this right? It’s the same as Weideman. Essendon are getting exactly what Melbourne got, and Melbourne are getting exactly what Bulldogs got.

Rarely does a leopard change their spots at 25 years of age.

Neither Schache or JvR had much of a game, but you can see the difference with JvR hitting contests hard and competing even if he wasn’t getting the ball himself. Then you see Schache being hesitant, choosing against taking some body contact and getting beaten by the opponent.

Schache is what he is, the coaches would know that for sure. I just hope when Schache plays the coaches exploit his endurance and skills. Trying to make Schache an aggressive tall forward will fail like it did at Brisbane and Bulldogs, and just like it did for Watts.

Schache and Watts each would’ve been better if they were only 185cm and played on a wing. They also would’ve been pick 60 or whatever in the draft.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Allow us all to have a visceral reaction or two, Tulip. These campaigners beat us 17 times in a row (including by 122), and whilst that was a delightfully smooth first game for me as a mod, that game was about as stressful as an open training session. This place can be boring without the odd melt.

Speaking of visceral, Johnny Karate – we're waiting (we should probably open the changes thread first I suppose)
Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ill still take him over TMac and Brown TBH. However im sure Brown will get his spot back if they move Petty back.

Ill still take him over TMac and Brown TBH. However im sure Brown will get his spot back if they move Petty back.
Why though? A fit Brown is clearly still a capable goal kicker. If half fit though, I'd prefer Schache

Why though? A fit Brown is clearly still a capable goal kicker. If half fit though, I'd prefer Schache

Better on the lead up the ground, more separation. Better mobility full stop.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

There was just no talk out there. No spark. Was quite eerie tbh. Really enjoyed watching Sheezel though. That kid has leader written all over him. Had a go at several players too for not doing the right thing. I thought Cunnington tried hard all game as well. Love the way he goes about it.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
What are you people talking about? Check yourselves for a second, seriously! What does kill them off mean? That last few minutes were annoying, sure, but have some perspective. We murdered them.
The players were out on their feet from halfway through the last. Not surprised we gave up a few cheapies. Pretty impressive after a 5 day break tbh. The game was over halfway through the first quarter.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Kinda boring game, seemed like we just got it forward as quick as possible and just kept them under pressure. To destroy a team like that and basically have 2 invisible key forwards is so Melbourne.
I enjoyed the game but I'm not sure you can tell much from the game. It's like local footy games where a team wins by 200 points, you start playing the full back at ff ect it kind of feels pointless. Having said that as many have pointed out we've been at the wrong end for a very long time so I will enjoy it while I can.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne

Schache plays AFL like he knows he’s not up to it. Flys for marks like he knows he’s not going to mark it but is supposed to try and even snaps at goal like he knows it’s not going to go in. Not surprising he looks totally different at VFL level where he obviously knows he can play.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Schache plays AFL like he knows he’s not up to it. Flys for marks like he knows he’s not going to mark it but is supposed to try and even snaps at goal like he knows it’s not going to go in. Not surprising he looks totally different at VFL level where he obviously knows he can play.
Someone said it above. He's a winger flanker born into too tall a body. Maybe in another life he's developed differently at a young age and can play like Darcy moore or something but yeah nah kinda what I expected from him

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I enjoyed the game but I'm not sure you can tell much from the game. It's like local footy games where a team wins by 200 points, you start playing the full back at ff ect it kind of feels pointless. Having said that as many have pointed out we've been at the wrong end for a very long time so I will enjoy it while I can.
Yeah the girl I watched the Richmond game with and then the Roos game said it seemed like the field was way more spread out in the north game. I was like yep, basically a training drill

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Exactly. Loved every minute of it. Who knows when we'll be on the end of a loss like this again. Enjoy the good times while it lasts. Kozzy was bloody exciting to watch. And that Oliver/Trac combo is better than any other in the comp, maybe besides Pendles/Daicos. Can't believe supporters complain constantly about these two. Absolute Jets. Maybe we should go back to Moloney and Jordie McKenzie as our best mids!?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
The players were out on their feet from halfway through the last. Not surprised we gave up a few cheapies. Pretty impressive after a 5 day break tbh. The game was over halfway through the first quarter.

Yeah this is why I didn't get some of the melts on social media about the end. We won by 90, who cares? Players were clearly stuffed.

Back