Review Dees v Norf: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Just got back from the game. It was a typical MFC-against-lowly-opposition match. We didn't expend much energy on this game at all. The only casualty was Petty. It was like we were jogging around for most of the time, with the occasional spurt of effort. Kind of like HIIT workout.

Good:
  • Kozzie was great at times. Love watching him make people fall over with his evasive manoeuvres.
  • Trac was solid in the forward 50.
  • Max was very good in defence, although his rucking was a bit lazy and ineffective compared to normal - he rarely hit it to a crumber, or even to advantage. Didn't matter though
  • May was solid, not much got past him. Salem similar.
  • Defence is our strong suit. Even on the goal-line, a lot of balls rebound out of there. It saves our bacon regularly.
  • JVR good in patches.

Bad:
  • Viney just can't kick the bloody ball. Hopeless. Tried hard though.
  • Short-passing was abysmal. The number of kicks to a well positioned player which fell short and then put that player under huge pressure was ridiculous. I swear we would have belted them by 10 goals if it weren't for them, because you could see the pathway to goal if they got that first bit right. Can't blame the conditions - it was a perfect day.
  • Forward entries are still very random - there is little strategy in evidence.

Fugly:
Just Petty's injury.

This match was almost identical to the match in May 2021 in Hobart. I was at that game too and you could barely tell the difference. North gets off to a good start, get's almost pegged back in the second quarter. overtaken in the 3rd and gradually pull away. We scored 103 points both games, North scored 71 this time, 73 last time. Only last time it was Tomlinson who got injured.

Of course, last time we went on to win the flag - could it be an omen? I'm hoping so.

Last edited:
Good: Got through the traffic pretty well and I'm home and can erase that experience from my mind. Kozzie!!!!!!!

Bad: Umpiring was just bloody awful and inconsistent all day. May and Levers disposal. Letting North jump us at the start, like usual!

Ugly: Petty injury. The kid sitting behind me that kept shouting "Go Demons" and "Boo North Melbourne" for the whole game - I swear half the parents in this state are bloody useless. Kid, STFU!

Good: Got through the traffic pretty well and I'm home and can erase that experience from my mind. Kozzie!!!!!!!

Bad: Umpiring was just bloody awful and inconsistent all day. May and Levers disposal. Letting North jump us at the start, like usual!

Ugly: Petty injury. The kid sitting behind me that kept shouting "Go Demons" and "Boo North Melbourne" for the whole game - I swear half the parents in this state are bloody useless. Kid, STFU!
Ah, so you experienced the magic too? At least it was a really nice day while the footy was on. Now it's pissing down.

Bad: Umpiring was just bloody awful and inconsistent all day.
I had my daughter with me and several times she asked me, "what happened there, why is there a free kick?". And I found myself saying, "I don't know. I have no idea". Some decisions were so random - quite a few favoured us too. It was just hard to trust the umps today. They missed a lot.

Good:
The come back.
Salem was really solid and is looking great going forward.
Pickett, Chandler fantastic small forward display.
Viney and Petracca did a great job.
I thought Gawn half turned into Nic Nat with some of the athletic displays he put on.
Bad:
The bog average start really exposed the defence.
Ugly:
The Petty injury though he looked fairly happy at the end of the game so maybe not bad news I hope.
Harmes was not right and is not right for AFL level based on the last two weeks.
- It was 2 min into the game and he jogged after Ziebell as he took an intercept mark. That is not the Harmes the team needs.
Jordan just makes awful decisions. I think he is lucky that Harmes was worse.

Ugly: Sparrow not being able to hit a 15m target resulting in a contest which resulted directly in the Petty injury.

Damn, of we bring in that spud Grundy, it's curtains. Please don't Goody. Don't even think about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugly: Sparrow not being able to hit a 15m target resulting in a contest which resulted directly in the Petty injury.

Damn, of we bring in that spud Grundy, it's curtains. Please don't Goody. Don't even think about it.
He's not a spud. He's a bloody good ruck. We just work better without him in the team.

I was trying to read his lips when he spoke to Smith in the bench … he either said ‘nah mate, it’s all fine’ or ‘nah mate, it’s all ****ed’ … 50 / 50 I reckon
"It's all foot"

He was very busy. Probably the most ball I've seen him get.

Most uninspiring 37 touch game ive seen in a while. By that I mean he wasn't terrible, he was just meh. Didnt notice anything particularly good he did with his 37 touches.

He's not a spud. He's a bloody good ruck. We just work better without him in the team.
I would say he is an average starting ruck. He got absolutely towelled up versus essendon. And his skills under pressure are poor. There was a 4 week period where he was turning it over by hand costing regular goals.

Pretty poor performance saved by Kosi and a few others having good bursts.

Petty injury is ugly because he’s far and away the most likely tall forward at the moment.

The way we repeatedly kicked it straight to the loose men in the first quarter was embarrassing and once again makes me wonder how we can possibly win a flag if we still haven’t overcome our inside 50 entry problem.

Harmes was beyond atrocious. He and Jordon started out going as bad as each other but Jordon actually improved in second half and Harmes got worse. He’s so slow now I just don’t know how he’s in the side ever again.

Most uninspiring 37 touch game ive seen in a while. By that I mean he wasn't terrible, he was just meh. Didnt notice anything particularly good he did with his 37 touches.
Agree re his touches, thought he was decent defensively though, had a couple of good smothers or got a hand in to break up their attacks.

It was never going to be an easy game. No game is. Loved the fight back by the boys.

Bad: That Petty injury was a result of Sparrow struggling to hit him straight with a 20m kick dead in front.

Ugly: Harmes was/is atrocious. Thank christ that'll be the last time we'll see him in red and blue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back