Review Dees v Norf - the Bad & the Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Norf have been very competitive this year, except for last week and they were always going to respond to that and hit us hard. The fact that we weren't prepared for that, hadn't apparently learned from last week how important intensity and pressure are to winning, is far more disappointing than bad umpiring or looking ordinary with a couple of players missing.

I keep hoping that it's going to click and they'll string together some high intensity games, but it's wearing thin. Why is it too much to ask?
I think they must know when you place an avatar bet

When does the Jordan Lewis effect kick in? Correct me if I'm wrong, but we look worse than we did last season during the close ones.

Yep, haven't got the results on the board at times and we are still developing our consistency, but our competitiveness in games up until the last quarter has been an improvement on last year and definitely during the Bailey era. I laugh when our list and future prospects get compared to the Bailey era. I can count about 8-9 games in 2011 when we ended up getting beaten well where the game looked over at 3QT. We haven't lost a game this year where the game looked over at 3QT and we ended up getting beaten convincingly. I'm very confident on our future and I look forward to seeing the continual development of this team. I'm sure a lot of teams would take our crop of U23 players over their own.
There's a huge shift in the mindset when heading into a 3rd or last quarter of we are a good few goals down. Only a few years ago that would be the precursor to totally having our undies pulled down where now it doesn't mean much as we have proven that we can close that gap. Those close games will become Ws when we have some scoring power back.
We were exposed by height and a lack of F50 options with some unfavourable umpiring making it tough for us at times. Simple as that.

How does the list feel the same. 2011 team was a bunch of downhill skiers who beat up on easy teams and couldn't compete with the best. The current team just beat Adelaide, so I would say we can compete with the best.
Anyway take a look at the 2011 list

NumberNameGamesGoals
1Matthew Warnock40
2Nathan Jones2214
3Clint Bartram152
4Jack Watts2221
5Jordan Gysberts153
6Matthew Bate74
7Jamie Bennell165
8James Frawley211
9Jack Trengove1913
10Cale Morton145
12Colin Sylvia1925
13Jordie McKenzie152
14Lynden Dunn1116
15Ricky Petterd1518
16Jack Grimes61
18Brad Green2137
19Addam Maric98
20Colin Garland181
21Lucas Cook00
22Brent Moloney229
24Liam Jurrah1840
27Jared Rivers201
28Joel MacDonald100
31Tom Scully101
33Austin Wonaeamirri55
34Stefan Martin2110
35Luke Tapscott152
36Aaron Davey115
37Max Gawn41
38Jeremy Howe1318
39Neville Jetta95
40Mark Jamar154
41Troy Davis00
42Jake Spencer00
43Tom McDonald20
44Rohan Bail81
46Sam Blease50
47James Strauss90
48Jack Fitzpatrick10

Do you honestly think the current playing group has the same feel ?
Sculley, Martin and Howe all giving AA a good nudge this year.

Where is the four quarter effort!
MELBOURNE’S COSTLY QUARTERS

Round 1 v St Kilda: 15-38 (Q1)

Round 2 v Carlton: 9-20 (Q3)

Round 3 v Geelong: 8-40 (Q4)

Round 4 v Fremantle: 3-46 (Q3)

Round 5 v Richmond: 2-35 (Q4)

Round 6 v Essendon: 14-18 (Q2)

Round 7 v Hawthorn: 7-34 (Q1)

Round 8 v Adelaide: 19-33 (Q2)

Round 9 v North Melbourne: 17-43 (Q1)

Norf have been very competitive this year, except for last week and they were always going to respond to that and hit us hard. The fact that we weren't prepared for that, hadn't apparently learned from last week how important intensity and pressure are to winning, is far more disappointing than bad umpiring or looking ordinary with a couple of players missing.

I keep hoping that it's going to click and they'll string together some high intensity games, but it's wearing thin. Why is it too much to ask?

Last week was our worst effort for the season to date, I think the players would have been disappointed with it, even though we lost to the Eagles and Giants comfortably, the effort was there in those games, just lacked the personnel.

I don't think you can be too harsh on your players, they were a bit slow out of the blocks but they got to a winning position and fought it out. You still have a lot of young or inexperienced players, that consistency to play at a very high standard at a very high intensity is difficult when you have a lot of young bodies and minds. It becomes much easier to hunt and you have that sense of accomplishment like you would have after knocking off the Crows in Adelaide, a very tough ask. To get the mind back when someone else the following week hunts you instead is very tough. The Dogs are finding it much harder this year being the side that is constantly hunted.

It is easy to put together a team together that puts the effort in and becomes competitive, it is a lot harder to take it to the next level and it usually takes time.

I think the loss of Gawn has been significant, Dees have done a great job to be able to do so well at stoppages without a ruckman of note but it is quite taxing to play footy that way, it requires the team to make sacrifices that takes away from other parts of the game.

The last time we outscored the opposition in every quarter was Round 9 2016 against Brisbane. prior to that it was 2015 Round 1 against the Suns. Before that you have to go all the way back to round 7 2011 vs the Crows

Out of the last decade, we've won every quarter a total of 5 times

The last time we outscored the opposition in every quarter was Round 9 2016 against Brisbane. prior to that it was 2015 Round 1 against the Suns. Before that you have to go all the way back to round 7 2011 vs the Crows

Out of the last decade, we've won every quarter a total of 5 times

Gee that's damning.

I just feel like a lot of people are just hoping it clicks and pointing to our average age when asked why we are doing poorly. We are still a mentally soft side, we ALWAYS concede goals to a half decent KPF and our skills across the ground still aren't great. I'm not saying we are absolutely ****ed forever because the heat won't come for Goodwin till next year but at this stage we have stagnated at BEST.

The good:

Yakker's first post in the GDT - mate is that your place or are you on holis in Thailand or something?

What a bucket of s**t game of footy.

Yes, I am a lucky man to live in such a beautiful part of the world!

and yes, game was BOS

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee that's damning.

I just feel like a lot of people are just hoping it clicks and pointing to our average age when asked why we are doing poorly. We are still a mentally soft side, we ALWAYS concede goals to a half decent KPF and our skills across the ground still aren't great. I'm not saying we are absolutely ****** forever because the heat won't come for Goodwin till next year but at this stage we have stagnated at BEST.

Stagnated? You cant be serious? We are a better side than last year, easily. Look at the injury run (or lack of) we had last year and the results we were getting compared to the injuries this year and how we have been in every single game.

Im not saying we are going to be as good as Geelong or will win multiple premierships, dont get me wrong, but this team reminds me of Geelong in 06 before it all clicked for them in 07, they had all this potential but were up and down and had plenty of disappointing losses, underachieved in most peoples eyes, we just need another year, i want to make finals this year like everyone, and we still can, but its not the be all and end all. Our time is coming in 2018.

Yeah the injuries have not been kind, people forget 2016 we only really missed Salem for the year. Round 1 we were short on defenders, then we lost a key position player and his backup. Then our key forward

Stagnated? You cant be serious? We are a better side than last year, easily. Look at the injury run (or lack of) we had last year and the results we were getting compared to the injuries this year and how we have been in every single game.

Im not saying we are going to be as good as Geelong or will win multiple premierships, dont get me wrong, but this team reminds me of Geelong in 06 before it all clicked for them in 07, they had all this potential but were up and down and had plenty of disappointing losses, underachieved in most peoples eyes, we just need another year, i want to make finals this year like everyone, and we still can, but its not the be all and end all. Our time is coming in 2018.
I've heard Roosy say it a few times, that 2018 is the year for us to only make finals, but also to win finals, so while we may still make it this year, finals are better when you win them. While we didn't rule it out, seems as if 2018 has been seen as THE year for a while now.

We've definitely improved a lot on last year tho, that much is clear. How many games last year did we come out, and within a few minutes you knew we were off, and weren't going to get near it? That's exactly the way we started against Hawthorn and North, and Essendon and Carlton for that matter ... we can now turn it around in game.

I said when Max went down that this would probably be a frustrating "almost" kind of year, and it's followed script so far.

I've heard Roosy say it a few times, that 2018 is the year for us to only make finals, but also to win finals, so while we may still make it this year, finals are better when you win them. While we didn't rule it out, seems as if 2018 has been seen as THE year for a while now.

We've definitely improved a lot on last year tho, that much is clear. How many games last year did we come out, and within a few minutes you knew we were off, and weren't going to get near it? That's exactly the way we started against Hawthorn and North, and Essendon and Carlton for that matter ... we can now turn it around in game.

I said when Max went down that this would probably be a frustrating "almost" kind of year, and it's followed script so far.
Pretty fair assessment mate and I completely agree.
I've said it a few times that I think the fact we are getting closer and at times playing some good footy, makes you impatient and want it all the time.
Reality is we are still inconsistent but keeping ourselves in games as opposed to rolling over like we used to.
No point making finals and being the laughing stock ala Richmond's last 3 attempts.
Next year though, no more excuses.

How did Salem get a week? What happened?
elbowed swallow in the face whilst wrestling on the ground. I would have graded it intentional, high and insufficient force but god knows what that means for the match review panel these days

elbowed swallow in the face whilst wrestling on the ground. I would have graded it intentional, high and insufficient force but god knows what that means for the match review panel these days
It didn't look great tbf.
But anyone can "throw" a jumper punch, potentially break a jaw, and get a $1000 fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back