Review Dees v Norf: the Good, Bad and Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Needs to be dropped. But he was almost grabbing marks and busting through packs, they will probably persist.

Did some ok link work, but ultimately you could throw Sparrow as a tag and Harmes could be replaced by a better defender or outside player.
He'll probably make way for Viney next week. Jones (or Vanders) equally droppable off that game.

Watching Trac tonight I now know what its like to be a tigers supporter watching Martin or a cats fan watching Ablett or Danger.

Hes not up there with them yet, but he gives you that feeling that when he wants to impose his will on a game he just does it and no one can stop him.

You right. You right. That what it is. Amen. Hallelujah.

Good:
Petracca. He is becoming an absolute top shelf midfielder. Would love to see him play finals in his current form.
Oliver continuing on from last week. Back to his best.
Brayshaw looks a different player in the guts.
Beating North (particularly because they have our first).
Weid's marking in the first half was a huge positive. Gives us a real target. He'll have a day out soon.
Kossie, Jacko and Rivers. Building nicely.

Bad:
Kicking for goal. That really should've been 80+ points.
Brainfades from AVB.
Jones looking off the pace for the most part.

Ugly:
North. Others have said it but they really are putrid. Never looked like threatening tonight.

At least we are beating sides we are supposed to this year.

One day we'll finally get our goal kicking boots on and people will be able to class us as flat track bullies. Looking forward to it.

Bad: we have the most dominant tap ruckman in the game and we don't even miss him, such is our stoppage structures. Well we may miss his contested marking around the ground, but we need to get better at capitalising on his Rick dominance

Agree with Gus, showed what he is capable of played in the correct position, he needs to be played there from now on. Who do we remove from the midfield? Trac can play forward but is way to valuable following the ball, Viney is an inside mid, thats it. Harmes, I don't know what to think.

thats the issue Viney Oliver Trac Gus all thrive on being the man, who gives way

it’s amazing how Gus’ kicking has improved in the last game and half with more minutes

Bad: we have the most dominant tap ruckman in the game and we don't even miss him, such is our stoppage structures. Well we may miss his contested marking around the ground, but we need to get better at capitalising on his Rick dominance

Hmmmm trade bait? xD

Good:
- The form of our best players in Petracca & Oliver.
- Oliver improving his kicking
- Weid’s form, presenting really well
- Great signs from Jackson, Pickett, Rivers

Bad:
- Jones’ dump kicking, really needs to make his possessions count by using the ball well if he is any chance of another season
- Harmes’ form

Ugly:
- Bayley Fritsch’s kicking and decision making. Pretty avg few weeks, all things considered.

Oliver deciding to put his foot down and scoot away from packs is something I totally forgot he had until the past two weeks.

It's like watching a completely different player. I don't know who pointed it out to him but god bless you.

Last edited:
The "overpaid" Lever haters can put that game in your pipe and smoke it. He's slowly but surely getting back to the form he had with us before doing his knee vs the dogs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats the issue Viney Oliver Trac Gus all thrive on being the man, who gives way

it’s amazing how Gus’ kicking has improved in the last game and half with more minutes
It might not work but having Viney as a pressure forward for q few minutes could free up Brayshaw for some more centre minutes. It's tough because Viney has lifted and Oliver is looking really good hitting contests at pace.

Brayshaw ought to be the most versatile but probably is the least. But the lift we get from him playing well is pretty big*.

*Brayshaw's form could just be playing bad oppo

Not going to read too much into the game as North were atrocious but you can only beat who's in front of you..

- Jacko, Pickett, Rivers showed PLENTY.
- Brayshaw back in business, Oliver good again.
- Petracca is just a freak, another BOG performance.
- Levers best game of the year.
- Weid gives me full confidence that he'll be a good AFL forward for years to come.
- thought Spargo justified his selection and earned himself a spot next week.

- Harmes needs to be dropped for Viney, just in shocking touch.

Massive game next week, unfortunately we already know how these games turn out...

Shout-out to me for writing off Spargo, what a bell-end. Bloke looks like he's best 22 without a doubt. Vanders you're in trouble mate. Harley might be in the s**t too.

If we can beat one of the pies giants or saints. And beat everyone below us that gives us 10 wins. Our Percentage is decent too

Good: trade for our future pick that resulted in Pickett and Rivers.

Bad: the score line flattered North
I think the scoreline was probably what it should have been in the end. They were down to one rotation in the end but we definitely should have had the game won by 3qt.
He'll probably make way for Viney next week. Jones (or Vanders) equally droppable off that game.
Both Jones and Vanders have had a pretty good run but both aren't adding much. Jones I thought was more noticeable not in a good way unfortunately.

Good - getting the win, keeping north to two goals after quarter time. Our game style looks much better, we are actually hitting long passess to players in open space rather than our under pressure shuffle we are so use to seeing.

Bad - goal kicking weid seems to have the same problem as gone he just hooks his feet. Fritta the has a problem where he'll miss one way and then over compensate his next shot, he needs a routine and just be consistent each time.

Ugly - umpiring or more so htb, they miss some obvious ones players taking on tackles not disposing it properly play on then pay dubious frees when a contested ball is won by a player with no prior get piled on and get pinged for making no attempt.

I said this the other week after Port touched us up, can you pay a Million a season for difference of having bs not?

Good : Trac, Oliver , Lever, Brayshaw were excellent. Thought Spargo was good. Who would’ve thought a role player playing a role suited for him and not dumping an inside midfielder there would improve the team. Jackson competed really well in the ruck. Weids first half and Tmacs second half.

Bad : The umpiring in the first half and the holding the ball rule in general. 3 of North’s 5 goalscould of been avoided. Should’ve really won by 100

Fugly: Goalkicking and North

No excuse next week. Collingwood missing a few is really testing their depth. We should be basically full strength and have a 6 day break compared to 4. Should win this one if we have any expectations for 2020

It might not work but having Viney as a pressure forward for q few minutes could free up Brayshaw for some more centre minutes. It's tough because Viney has lifted and Oliver is looking really good hitting contests at pace.

Brayshaw ought to be the most versatile but probably is the least. But the lift we get from him playing well is pretty big*.

*Brayshaw's form could just be playing bad oppo

Floated this idea last week , I like it, worth a shot anyway, give Gus and Sparrow some more midfield minutes where possible.

Spargo doing what he did in 2018. Will always be a role player in a good side type, but in a good side it’s an important role in winning games.

Viney doesn’t need to be a ‘pressure forward’ so much as a wrecking ball up forward. Hit forward half stoppages hard,win the ball in a maul and get a kick away towards goal, dive into a pack and get a handball to someone clear, etc. He’s good enough to create or score a few goals a game doing that with his tackling to back up and if you’re an opposition defender you’d already be nervous knowing he’s looking to hit you. If we can repeatedly lock the ball inside 50 he’ll be dangerous and it allows someone like Gus to set up around half forward if it spills out. It’s more a matter of him learning how to spread after starting forward like Hannan or vandenBerg do but once the ball is in there he can play the same role he does now. And he’s still going to have a few spells at the centre bounce. If that doesn’t work, who knows what to do.

Floated this idea last week , I like it, worth a shot anyway, give Gus and Sparrow some more midfield minutes where possible.
Viney has found some goalkicking touch of late and he and Pickett would add a lot of pep up front for us. Even if he isn't a great crumber his form this season has been good and his presence should help lift our forward pressure.

I agree with everything already said. I would also like to add another good: Langdon and Tomlinson playing their roles very well.

For me, Jones, Harmes, and AVB out. Bring Gawn, Viney, and Bennell in. Lockhart did but I prefer Rivers back there. Could mount an argument for Lockhart for Sparrow as we won't need him with Viney back. Play TMac on a wing or CHF.

Ugly: Weid in the ruck right at the end. Yes Goody we saw it, DON'T DO IT AGAIN!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back