Review Dees v Norf - the Good, Bad & Fugly in the Quest for 10-0

Remove this Banner Ad

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Don’t care if we play rubbish against bottom 8 sides really. Team has shown they get motivated and switched on when coming up against decent opposition. Turn in multiple average H&A performances against Brisbane/Carlton/Freo and I’ll start to be concerned.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Dunstan, never again pls.
Reckon that's a horrible call, stepped into Vineys shoes and was involved in everything. The idiot commentators missed that most of his handballs were in front of teammates so they could run onto them. Was easily in our top 10 today.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Melksham got back into D50 to out number alot picked up a bit of Langdons slack. Bedford didn't get back into D50 much at all. Don't think disposals matters for our high half forwards it's pressure and having the tank to run into defence and back. I'm betting they don't trust Laurie and Bedford to do that yet.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Dunstan sucked.

Couldn't hit a target all day
Went at about the same disposal efficiency as Jordan/Sparrow/Brayshaw/Oliver

s**t commentary targeted him when there was heaps of crap from everyone.

Had 3 more defensive half pressure acts than anyone else in the team
Second for ground ball gets behind Oliver and double the 3rd best

Saying he was terrible was just getting sucked in by bad commentary, he filled in for Viney just fine.

Sure had some bad handballs, Trac kicked it on the full 3x, bad commentary too easily influences bigfooty opinion

Went at about the same disposal efficiency as Jordan/Sparrow/Brayshaw/Oliver

s**t commentary targeted him when there was heaps of crap from everyone.

Had 3 more defensive half pressure acts than anyone else in the team
Second for ground ball gets behind Oliver and double the 3rd best

Saying he was terrible was just getting sucked in by bad commentary, he filled in for Viney just fine.

Sure had some bad handballs, Trac kicked it on the full 3x, bad commentary too easily influences bigfooty opinion

lol, nah, he was s**t

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
lol, nah, he was s**t
Nah *******s give a bloke s**t for bad disposal efficiency in his first game back. Most here can't look past what they're told to think by the commentators. Have a look at the rubbish Gus and Trac served up. Brown was crap. Sparrows regressed. Kicking a role player for missing a couple handballs is laughable.

Nah *******s give a bloke s**t for bad disposal efficiency in his first game back. Most here can't look past what they're told to think by the commentators. Have a look at the rubbish Gus and Trac served up. Brown was crap. Sparrows regressed. Kicking a role player for missing a couple handballs is laughable.

I cant stand commentators and watch games on mute , he was s**t.

Youre just doing what you always do, jumping to the defense of a player you gave your stamp of approval to as a good get this offseason. :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
I thought Dunstan's game was pretty similar to his last. First possessions were a bit pox but he seemed to get better as the game wore on. Didn't watch too closely though.
Anyway.

I built a home gym, and I've started watching the Gus and Gawn podcast while I'm doing my cardio. I haven't watched it before.
I noticed on an episode yesterday (maybe the Fritsch one, maybe not) where they start talking about Melbourne's "expected score" and I think it was Gus who mentions that they are always under it but he casually mentions they'll fix it up later, and as we all know, they did.

Goal-kicking accuracy being garbage doesn't seem like the sort of thing you can adjust with a bit of extra training but that's kinda how it was made out (to me, anyway).

I thought that was interesting.
I'm also curious if we're doing the "heavy training load" thing now, from memory we were a bit underwhelming at this stage last year too.

Melksham was bad and I felt bad watching him.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I cant stand commentators and listen to games on mute , he was s**t.

Youre just doing what you always do, jumping to the defense of a player you gave your stamp of approval to as a good get this offseason. :tearsofjoy:
Haha piss off mate I wouldn't have mentioned Dunstan for more than a second in the offseason he was a depth midfielder. More like you blokes find the lowest hanging fruit to take a swing at because you read others comments on here and have no conviction in your own opinions

Haha piss off mate I wouldn't have mentioned Dunstan for more than a second in the offseason he was a depth midfielder. More like you blokes find the lowest hanging fruit to take a swing at because you read others comments on here and have no conviction in your own opinions

No conviction? I said he was s**t. Im not sure I can be any more clear where I stand.

Hes done nothing to impress me in any other games really, other then taking a big hit against Richmond and toughing out the game. Im always down for someone to change my mind about them, see Petty, Jetta, Pedo etc, but Dunstan has done nothing to convince me hes of any real benefit to the side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
No conviction? I said he was s**t. Im not sire I can be any more clear where I stand.

Hes done nothing to impress me in any other games really, other then taking a big hit against Richmond and toughing out the game. Im always down for someone to change my mind about them, see Petty, Jetta, Pedo etc, but Dunstan has done nothing to convince me hes of any real benefit to the side.
Hes a depth midfielder for Viney. His job is to get it and give it to the better players which sure he missed some handballs but he did his role. He's gonna be in the reserves if we don't have injuries. I don't see the need to kick a bloke who's filling in a role that can't be done by anyone else in our reserves.

Hes a depth midfielder for Viney. His job is to get it and give it to the better players which sure he missed some handballs but he did his role. He's gonna be in the reserves if we don't have injuries. I don't see the need to kick a bloke who's filling in a role that can't be done by anyone else in our reserves.
I love kicking Weid, Bedford and Melksham so why not Dunstan.
Gotta stay consistent.

Speaking of, Chandler should be absolutely getting a game over super scrubs Bedford and Melksham moving forward.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I love kicking Weid, Bedford and Melksham so why not Dunstan.
Gotta stay consistent.

Speaking of, Chandler should be absolutely getting a game over super scrubs Bedford and Melksham moving forward.
I don't watch any VFL but I can see Melksham gets a game because he knows the role, has the tank to get into defence and is normally good for a goal. I'm guessing that they don't think Chandler or Laurie have the defensive running yet for our system

Friends, I remember in the bad old days of Dean Bailey or Mark Neeld, Norf beat us by the usual margin in an ordinary game, prompting one of the Big Footy Norf guys to say "We got the Four Points, we have bigger fish to fry, we move on." It so stung me at the time - we were like Kansas, the Fly-Overs. I have remembered it down in time.

Now that the polarities have been reversed, I realise that such a comment is less pejorative than pragmatic. The real tests are to come.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Incredible:

I love Clayton Oliver. I was this close to voting for him in Higgins. Absolute freak.

Not great:

Otherwise that was a pretty s**t watch. It’s clearly the go for poor teams to scrag it up and attempt to bring the game down to a s**t level.

Awesome:

Change of government, even without Clarry in it, this has come as a relief. Overall a decent night and me and my berocca are having an ordinary morning

I know it's only because Gawn is carrying something but Jackson getting more responsibility in the ruck is awesome. Loves tapping it to himself and releasing to our mids to get it out the front.

Incredible:

I love Clayton Oliver. I was this close to voting for him in Higgins. Absolute freak.

Not great:

Otherwise that was a pretty s**t watch. It’s clearly the go for poor teams to scrag it up and attempt to bring the game down to a s**t level.

Awesome:

Change of government, even without Clarry in it, this has come as a relief. Overall a decent night and me and my berocca are having an ordinary morning

I did my part yesterday for the United Party, shoved flyers down peoples jackets who refused to take one and got in a couple of punch ups with the rowdy people who didnt appreciate it. Nice warm up for today when Theseventhhamster and me get down to business.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back