Review Dees v Orks: Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 5, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit loaded though,
What about

A- we beat the Tigers but the club loses the next 4 due to disgruntled players unhappy with us dropping Jones

B- we lose to the Tigers but the whole club comes together to celebrate and it gives us the momentum to carry us to a flag

Fair point. But we could also wonder what it does to the team if they pour all their effort into it and lose a close one, where Nate has cost us dearly in several spots. It’s not hard to imagine some resentment towards him. Especially from some of the younger guys who maybe don’t care what he did for the club. They just know the old guy cost them a win, when they left it all out on the ground.

I think it’s possible what I may be missing here is- why this game? I feel like as a fan of you all, and the sport, that I have happily signed on for getting Nate to this milestone. But why does it have to be this game?

Fair enough. You’d like to get that W though, and if it’s close you’d sure feel shitty knowing you didn’t have your best 22 out there. Or at least I would.

Dropping him would create massive headlines and completely embarrass the club. Jones will be doing interview circuits all week in the lead up to the game, if it was deflated by him being dropped on the eve of the match it would piss off many at the playing group and make for a massive distraction before the most important game the club has had in years. Players aren't robots, they can be galvanised or annoyed by things happening around their lives and at the club.

The worst loss the club has ever had in my life was after a week of upheaval at the club between the footy department and administration level.

Playing Jones this week is just one of those intangibles you don't want to mess with.

Fair point. But we could also wonder what it does to the team if they pour all their effort into it and lose a close one, where Nate has cost us dearly in several spots. It’s not hard to imagine some resentment towards him. Especially from some of the younger guys who maybe don’t care what he did for the club. They just know the old guy cost them a win, when they left it all out on the ground.

I think it’s possible what I may be missing here is- why this game? I feel like as a fan of you all, and the sport, that I have happily signed on for getting Nate to this milestone. But why does it have to be this game?
It’s a genuine ******* miracle that we are 5-0 going into this week’s game. Our first prime time match in two years and Richmond are ******* ferals. This is free real estate on an unprecedented scale. Would be difficult to conjure a bigger occasion for only our second 300 gamer ever

Dropping him would create massive headlines and completely embarrass the club. Jones will be doing interview circuits all week in the lead up to the game, if it was deflated by him being dropped on the eve of the match it would piss off many at the playing group and make for a massive distraction before the most important game the club has had in years. Players aren't robots, they can be galvanised or annoyed by things happening around their lives and at the club.

The worst loss the club has ever had in my life was after a week of upheaval at the club between the footy department and administration level.

Playing Jones this week is just one of those intangibles you don't want to mess with.

Yea I completely agree, if he doesn’t play it would have to come from Nate. He would have to willingly stand down. And what a gesture if he did.

It’s a genuine ******* miracle that we are 5-0 going into this week’s game. Our first prime time match in two years and Richmond are ******* ferals. This is free real estate on an unprecedented scale. Would be difficult to conjure a bigger occasion for only our second 300 gamer ever

I get it mate. But it wouldn’t be an awful thing if the club didn’t have that mentality.

I get it mate. But it wouldn’t be an awful thing if the club didn’t have that mentality.
It wouldn’t be an awful thing if we weren’t a huge disgrace and had multiple 300 gamers and flags in the last 50 years either, but if that was the case we wouldn’t be having this discussion

They all know. Everyone from Jetta to Rosman knows who Jones is and why he matters.He’s in rare air as a Melbourne player.

Its this game because it’s a huge game, in front of a packed MCG.But also you just don’t drop a guy on 299. Doing it in tassie next week would be a cultural wrecking ball. Jones is hardly much worse than the next mid in anyway (Sparrow),not like we’ve got an elite young mid waiting to play.

for more context, look up James McDonald and the time we sacked our Captain because we thought drafting was a silver bullet.

I don’t mean to sound disrespectful, but anyone who wasn’t there in 2011-2013 just can’t understand the way it felt waking into every game thinking a loss under 10 goals was a genuine improvement. It was horrible and Jones was the only one who really cared.

Also we have never won in Hobart before. It’s incredibly likely that if we drop Jones we lose this week anyway, and then lose again next week, in which case we’d somehow manage to be even more of a laughing stock

They all know. Everyone from Jetta to Rosman knows who Jones is and why he matters.He’s in rare air as a Melbourne player.

Its this game because it’s a huge game, in front of a packed MCG.But also you just don’t drop a guy on 299. Doing it in tassie next week would be a cultural wrecking ball. Jones is hardly much worse than the next mid in anyway (Sparrow),not like we’ve got an elite young mid waiting to play.

for more context, look up James McDonald and the time we sacked our Captain because we thought drafting was a silver bullet.

I don’t mean to sound disrespectful, but anyone who wasn’t there in 2011-2013 just can’t understand the way it felt waking into every game thinking a loss under 10 goals was a genuine improvement. It was horrible and Jones was the only one who really cared.

Next game in Tasmania is a problem, I admit that.

And no disrespect taken. I realize I don’t have the bona fides here and I’m probably talking out of line.

I just want to get the man his due, while also not hampering our chances this season.

Next game in Tasmania is a problem, I admit that.

And no disrespect taken. I realize I don’t have the bona fides here and I’m probably talking out of line.

I just want to get the man his due, while also not hampering our chances this season.
The club doesn’t have to win next week, it just has to show up and put up a damn good fight. To drop Jones would be to admit that we think we can’t do that with him, which would already be a huge concession. Good sides get it done no matter what

The club doesn’t have to win next week, it just has to show up and put up a damn good fight. To drop Jones would be to admit that we think we can’t do that with him, which would already be a huge concession. Good sides get it done no matter what

Or maybe the problem is it’s just admitting that they are carrying the guy. Which I get. And it why I have said it would need to come from Jones.

Listen, I love the guy as much as it’s possible to love him while watching him on the downside of his career the past few years.

This screenshot is provided only to illustrate how I feel about the guy. Anyone who knows the NFL and my city in particular will know how massive a compliment this was:

0E91CC47-AE43-4E90-AAD9-AA3B4A735491.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anzac Day , the day we remember our fallen service men and women and give thanks to those Veterans still living or those still serving . It’s quite possible he inspires the team just being out there , or not , doesn’t matter to me . That we are 5-0 coming into this game has taken the pressure off the selectors in regards to Jones position in the team . Plenty of time after this game to debate that . My only hope the occasion doesn’t over awe the team . Get into them lads !!!

Beers are on the American when jonesie kicks the winner after the siren.
Here’s a stat.
Melbourne have never (in VFL/AFL history) won a game on a kick after the siren.

Why this game?
It's probably the biggest marketing night of our year, it's the biggest game outside of finals for us all year. The crowds huge etc etc

It's the night he deserves to bring up his 300. Down in tassie in front of 15 people who give a s**t and on a Sunday arvo probably is just stinky.

Also I don't reckon there's any chance the young blokes don't idolizes Jones. Been one of the hardest working players and trainers weve had.

Here’s a stat.
Melbourne have never (in VFL/AFL history) won a game on a kick after the siren.
When we've been kicking at least. Tom Lynch a few years back missed with a kick after the siren which won us the game.

If Jones was significantly worse than our next mid I'd feel torn, but the intangibles of a packed MCG, his 300th and making it that far after a reign of awfulness... it'd be a brave selector who dropped him

He really was the only player on our list who gave 100% every single game, whether we were down by 100 or not. That is a rare trait in a losing side, so I for one want to see that character celebrated, and signal to everyone on the list that you'll be rewarded for having it.

He'll retire immediately and book in for back surgery after carrying us for most of a decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back