Review Dees v Orks: Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought it was a pretty strong game across the board.

We gave up some momentum early in second through sloppy play forward/back, but never looked in serious trouble.

Roo was a little quiet on the stat sheet but I thought he competed really well around the ground in his 2nd ruck stints, and good to see him lead at the ball a bit better.

Trac was terrific, best game he has played in a while re: disposal of the footy.

Howes & McVee are two gems down back, Billings has fit in really well and is a great / reliable pro.

Thought Riv was fairly off his game, one of the few today (probably include Salo in that).

He's kicked 146.93 in the last 3 years, bit of a myth based on one stinker he had against us years ago
I'll disagree slightly, Daniher has butchered the ball multiple times during his career. He's the sort of guy who will miss from 15 metres out but kick straight from 50 on the boundary line. He is more good than bad but when he is bad it's shocking.

I'll disagree slightly, Daniher has butchered the ball multiple times during his career. He's the sort of guy who will miss from 15 metres out but kick straight from 50 on the boundary line. He is more good than bad but when he is bad it's shocking.
He only kicked more behinds than goals 6 out of his 26 games last year. He's not Tony Lockett but his kicking is a bit overblown because he has the odd shocker in him. He's also massive and athletic.

Feel like I spent most of my 20s going to early season games vs Hawthorn at the G where they’d ******* annihilate us and make us look like a suburban team. It’s been nice to get a smidge of payback for that these last few years.
Hawthorn's first quarter reminded me of Melbourne vs hawthorn 2014, that was roos let's not lose by a lot esq.

He only kicked more behinds than goals 6 out of his 26 games last year. He's not Tony Lockett but his kicking is a bit overblown because he has the odd shocker in him. He's also massive and athletic.
I agree I'll never forget that 2016 game where he dragged the Bombers over the line. Maybe 2015 as well, he is a headache.

Good, bad, and fugly, hawks fist pumping the crowd and getting overly excited kicking their 5 goals on a dry day at the mcg with Melbourne missing 2 of their best defenders most of the game. Only good because it made me laugh...

Fugly; Commentating as a whole is getting worse.
I actually enjoyed the commentary against the Bulldogs last week watching the replay. Watching the replay this morning, i had to turn it off at quarter time. Just awful. Dwayne is a terrible commentator and Healy needs to retire. It must have killed him when we won the flag. BT is a shocker too. The whole commentating thing needs an overhaul. We need actual professional commentators not ex players commentating. Keep the players to just special comments or boundary rider stuff. I'm not sure what the fascination is with having ex players commentating.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good, bad, and fugly, hawks fist pumping the crowd and getting overly excited kicking their 5 goals on a dry day at the mcg with Melbourne missing 2 of their best defenders most of the game. Only good because it made me laugh...
I was sitting with his Eastern Ranges team mates who bagged him all day. Good lads. The fist pump was for those guys. Still cringe, but the banter was fun all day and they genuinely were giving it to him at the game.

Feel like I spent most of my 20s going to early season games vs Hawthorn at the G where they’d ******* annihilate us and make us look like a suburban team. It’s been nice to get a smidge of payback for that these last few years.
It really was like that. We'd been blown out early with either them being really good or us just being horrid, sometimes both. Fight and scrag for a little bit, then let them walk all over us

It was quite like one of those games we used to play but the roles switched for sure

I actually enjoyed the commentary against the Bulldogs last week watching the replay. Watching the replay this morning, i had to turn it off at quarter time. Just awful. Dwayne is a terrible commentator and Healy needs to retire. It must have killed him when we won the flag. BT is a shocker too. The whole commentating thing needs an overhaul. We need actual professional commentators not ex players commentating. Keep the players to just special comments or boundary rider stuff. I'm not sure what the fascination is with having ex players commentating.
Melbourne v Bulldogs commentary last week was the best I’ve heard in a while. Not because it was incredible, but they called the game rather than just dribbling, and with about the right injection of excitement / drama rather than manufactured screaming, and the special comments were more or less game related rather than historical uninteresting stats, in group back-patting or some idiot predicting the crowd size.

Makes me furious - this stuff shouldn’t be difficult

My favourite crowd comment from yesterday about Nick Watson after spraying another behind “he’s not used to kicking the adult ball”

Gawn's handball to Sparrow for the goal assist wasnt quite as good as Slick's to Trac last week but still very good. Nice to see two long perfectly weighted handballs set up goals, feel like the 10 metre handball is a bit of a lost art these days. Used to get some rippers exactly like those from players like Diesel and Scott West back in the day.

Melbourne v Bulldogs commentary last week was the best I’ve heard in a while. Not because it was incredible, but they called the game rather than just dribbling, and with about the right injection of excitement / drama rather than manufactured screaming, and the special comments were more or less game related rather than historical uninteresting stats, in group back-patting or some idiot predicting the crowd size.

It's why American sports will always be very watchable. The commentary is superb generally. The radio is arguably worse than tv commentary. Far too many voices with far too many opinions. Just because they were great players doesn't mean they'll be good commentators. Selwood was unlistenable. Dangerfield in finals. Terrible. Darcy. Dwayne. etc etc. Get a pro commentator with a good ex player and that's all you need. VFL has always been a better mix. Cut to a panel of ex players at the breaks to talk about the game. Don't have them in the commentary box. It's not that difficult and would improve the tv spectacle ten fold.

I was sitting with his Eastern Ranges team mates who bagged him all day. Good lads. The fist pump was for those guys. Still cringe, but the banter was fun all day and they genuinely were giving it to him at the game.
Wasn't just Watson though, Mitch Lewis looked like he'd kicked a game winner in third, just to get them back to a 30 point deficit with their 4th goal for the match. I get it for your first afl goal, but Lewis? Anyway, it's enjoyable seeing how far they've regressed :)

I hate the commentary, 7 hired JB and BT then told them to be exactly nothing like how they are on radio which is what made them popular. Hamish who tries to insert some bullshit elitist analogy that doesn't wash with common folk or just downright weird s**t like wanting to watch the Jones brothers jelly wrestle each other.

Then fox. Huddo used to be good but ever since the commetti nailed the one liner commentary they all want their 'moment' like quarters Leo Barry you star! Ignoring that it was organic and not pre written

I swear Derwayne, Huddo, Hamish Kelli all of em pre write some dumb as * lines that they squeeze into the game.

Channel 10 had the best formula. Even Eddie McGuire was better because atleast his passion for footy came across genuine in the commentary

Joey about the only one palatable ATM from fox.

Wasn't just Watson though, Mitch Lewis looked like he'd kicked a game winner in third, just to get them back to a 30 point deficit with their 4th goal for the match. I get it for your first afl goal, but Lewis? Anyway, it's enjoyable seeing how far they've regressed :)
Even Dwayne on commentary made it was like a big thing with Lewis, me and the watch party I was with meme'd on it for the rest of the day

"It was a 32 point margin at half time! It's a 30 point margin now!"

Wow Dwayne, a big ******* two point change right there

Gawn's handball to Sparrow for the goal assist wasnt quite as good as Slick's to Trac last week but still very good. Nice to see two long perfectly weighted handballs set up goals, feel like the 10 metre handball is a bit of a lost art these days. Used to get some rippers exactly like those from players like Diesel and Scott West back in the day.
Yes 😍 miss the days of someone like cousins with that long wind up handball with the ball right in front of him before hitting a 15m bullet.
Guys just look for the nearest option now

They went fat too defensive. They are a young side. They'll be more than ok. Lewis needs a decent 2nd tall. Chol isn't it. I'm glad we stayed away. They are missing defenders atm and their best player in Will Day who changes the whole stoppage dynamic. Newcombe is a good player, but Day is the star. They'll have a good patch this year, but they are still a ways off it. Another draft or two and they'll be very good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back