Review Dees v Orks in the Cold: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 18

Remove this Banner Ad

Like it or not, the days of coaching hard are gone, this generation don't respond well to criticism, you've gotta handle them with kid gloves.

It's up to player on player feedback for the most to part to determine the fancy sh*t needs to go.

Clarko as a motivator and innovator I think is far better than Goody, wanting him to coach them hard is for the wrong reason.

I don’t know where I mentioned the need to coach “hard”. Just intelligently and forthrightly. Goodwin hasn’t properly addressed Oliver’s ridiculous showboating in six seasons. Whether he hasn’t grasped the need to or the player is not listening, either way it’s an indictment on his coaching ability.

The best coaches find a way to get through to players and exact necessary changes. If they can’t do that they should clean out their desk.

I don’t know where I mentioned the need to coach “hard”. Just intelligently and forthrightly. Goodwin hasn’t properly addressed Oliver’s ridiculous showboating in six seasons. Whether he hasn’t grasped the need to or the player is not listening, either way it’s an indictment on his coaching ability.

The best coaches find a way to get through to players and exact necessary changes. If they can’t do that they should clean out their desk.

How do you know he hasnt tho? Maybe he did and Oliver got the sooks up. Without being on the inside it's hard to say.

Dont disagree with the last about the best coaches finding a way to get thru. It's just not as easy as it used to be. Youre always in danger of losing gthe playing group if you don't push precisely the right buttons.

Fritsch also had a potential shot from the boundary with 5 mins to go. I was yelling at the TV for him to have a shot and a least get a point, decides to place 15 metres in front of the goals where Tom Mitchell takes an uncontested mark.
Yep, spot on. Was an absolute nest of Hawks and all our guys were on the goal line, no where near it. Howler.

How do you know he hasnt tho? Maybe he did and Oliver got the sooks up. Without being on the inside it's hard to say.

Dont disagree with the last about the best coaches finding a way to get thru. It's just not as easy as it used to be. Youre always in danger of losing gthe playing group if you don't push precisely the right buttons.
Tom Mitchell hasn't really developed any extra strings to his bow at the Hawks. It's more complicated than that.

Backline was way off last night. If they'd played to their usual standard we win. Not that it should come to them having to every single week. Us scoring 100 points in a game is a dream I'm determined to not let go of. One day it will happen. :rainbow:

I think you’re being far too forgiving. There will always be a time and place for discipline in coaching. If the senior coach commands so little respect that players feel free ignore his advice and directives, it’s a huge problem.

Most bad habits aren’t altered with a friendly pat on the back.

Tom Mitchell hasn't really developed any extra strings to his bow at the Hawks. It's more complicated than that.
Mitchell was best on last night. Amazes me the s**t he cops, brownlow medallist for a reason.

Australian Rules Football - Choose Your Own Adventure

The ball is in dispute, you see your teammate in a good position to pick it up or get it out but there are several opposition players around the contest. Do you:

A) Run in to block/shepherd one of the opposition players, potentially clearing a path out of the congestion for your teammate… (turn to page 13)

B) Trust your teammate to flick the ball out to you or another teammate and get on your bike to a dangerous position clear of the maul… (turn to page 13)

C) Think defensively and get yourself to a position where you can tackle/cut off the opposition, should they emerge out of the crushes with the ball… (turn to page 13)

PAGE 13

Uh oh! Turns out that you’re Clayton Oliver so what you actually did was none of the above. You ran into the congestion looking for a contested possession, knocking both yourself and your teammate over. When the opposition players stopped laughing they casually strolled the ball down the field under no pressure for a scoring opportunity while your whole team was hopelessly out of position.

Last edited:
Didn’t catch the whole game, but looked like the hawks had 1-2 players extra in D50 a lost of the last qtr? So presumably we did at our end too. We’re not good enough ball users to not even them up when going for the win.

Australian Rules Football - Choose Your Own Adventure

The ball is in dispute, you see your teammate in a good position to pick it up or get it out but there are several opposition players around the contest. Do you:

A) Run in to block/shepherd one of the opposition players, potentially clearing a path out of the congestion for your teammate… (turn to page 13)

B) Trust your teammate to flick the ball out to you or another teammate and get on your bike to a dangerous position clear of the maul… (turn to page 13)

C) Think defensively and get yourself to a position where you can tackle/cut off the opposition, should they emerge out of the crushes with the ball… (turn to page 13)

PAGE 13

Uh oh! Turns out that you’re Clayton Oliver so what you actually did was none of the above. You ran into the congestion looking for a contested possession, knocking both yourself and your teammate over. When the opposition players stopped laughing they casually strolled the ball down the field under no pressure for a scoring opportunity while your whole team hopelessly out of position.
I love choose your own adventure books. I.feel like I've played this one before though, and keep on picking page 13 hoping for a different result.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dunno about most of you, but I'm still livid about last night's game. Really hard to take positives out of such a limp soft performance.
I've moved on, I'm at peace 🤗

Well 90% of bigfooty is pissants sooking about umps, so why would an award voted on them mean a single thing
Do you not rate Mitchell?
I really like him, good player.

I think he's a very good but limited player. Clayton Oliver is quickly heading down that path.
Oh yeah definitely, very poor kick and not powerful or quick but his ability to win it in tight and get past the inner circle of a stoppage is second to none. I have Oliver and Mitchell around equal, I don't rate Oliver as high as many.

Oh yeah definitely, very poor kick and not powerful or quick but his ability to win it in tight and get past the inner circle of a stoppage is second to none. I have Oliver and Mitchell around equal, I don't rate Oliver as high as many.
Libba is better than both at getting it from in to out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back