Review Dees v Orks: The Good, Bad, Fugly & Biblical

Remove this Banner Ad

I just wanted to come and say well done. Your club maintained composure early in the fourth when the Hawks aided by some damn atrocious umpiring (I mean seriously that below the knees contact rule needs to be looked at) made a strong push, which is something i was glad to see, because I didn't believe Hawks were good enough this year and that meant I want your mob to go all the way. To do that they will have to play even better again, and then even better again. Regardless the outcome from here out, this finals has been valuable experience for your mob, I just hope they can complete the cinderella story.

Good luck next week Dees.

5 and half years ago on a Friday night I watched this clubs almost disappear into oblivion losing by 150 points. Now we are intona prelim, this isnaa confident as I’ve ever felt we can genuinely win a flag. In 1998 it was the older brigade from 1994 that had one last crack. 2000 we had some youngesters who burst into the scene only to meet and unstoppable force. 2004-2006. We lacked the outright star power and consistency. Now we have everything we need even the belief we can win the premiership. (If not this year in the next 3 seasons)

The good;
Jack Viney - just willed himself at every contest.
Harmes - 11 tackles
Oliver - winning clearances we it was desperately required
Trac - showing his true potential
Tmac - just clunks them
Spago - just a clever footballer
Gus & Weid - quieter games but stepped up and had two big moments infront of goal
Jetta - we are not worthy
Pig - desperate
Melksham - massive last quarter
Lewis - ferocious

I will save my fav good till last. Max Gawn, anyone criticising players of not caring well this bloke went on holidays to the USA for 6 weeks and trained everyday. He lost 8kgs leading into pre season, he took his game to another level.

Watch the Gunston poster, Salem kicks in and you can eee Big Max takes off from CHB and bursts to the members wing. He doesn’t win a possession but takes out 3 hawks. Big boy trailed him like a caravan hooked upto a car. It goes down the end and nibbler goals.

That is type of stuff that has taken us from 9th to a prelim

Fugly;
Hawks nuffie calling sen after the game and complaining about the umpires
Heard that. I mean, it makes you question whether you’re anything even close to objective when it comes to complaining about umpires...but seriously what a ******* tool.

How good is it seeing players fist pumping from the bench (third quarter) and past players carrying on like pork chops in the crowd. Makes you realise it's so much more than a job for them.
Was also a massive pay packet

Congratulations on reaching your first prelim in almost 20 years. Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match - if you haven't seen a previous post this is an overall summary of how often players were lining up as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 30 bounces

Oliver 28
Jones 25 wing (4i)
Tyson 20 wing (1i)
Harmes 19 (1w)
Viney 19
Brayshaw 19 (1w)
vandenBerg 16 wing (1i)
Petracca 2 (1i, 1w)
Lewis 1 wing
Fritsch 1 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 25
Weideman 5

With fewer games I'm experimenting a bit...

1st Quarter - 7 Bounces

Jones 7 (6w, 1i)
Oliver 6
Brayshaw 6 (5i, 1w)
Harmes 5
vandenBerg 4 wing
Viney 3
Tyson 2 wing
Petracca 2 (1i, 1w)

Rucks:
Gawn 6
Weideman 1

2nd Quarter - 4 Bounces

Oliver 4
Tyson 4 wing
Jones 3 (2w, 1i)
Harmes 3
Viney 2
Brayshaw 2
vandenBerg 2 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 4

3rd Quarter - 10 Bounces

Oliver 10
Jones 8 wing
Tyson 8 wing
Harmes 8
Viney 8
Brayshaw 4
vandenBerg 4 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 8
Weideman 2

Final Term - 9 Bounces

Oliver 8
Jones 7 (5w, 2i)
Brayshaw 7
Tyson 6 (5w, 1i)
vandenBerg (5w, 1i)
Harmes (2i, 1w)
Lewis 1 wing
Fritsch 1 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 7
Weideman 2

Notes:
- Harmes's tag was shifted from Mitchell to Smith after his goal in the last. As Smith mainly wasn't starting as a mid, this meant Harmes was alternatively starting as a back or as a 7th forward to man Smith who was sometimes starting in the back of the square then general mid role.

Pretty much sums it up..

qxmni9.jpg

Yeah, not great actually. Had far too many celebratory sherbets.

Frosty's torp to set up our first was easily my favourite part of the night. I don't care who goes out for Lever as long as it isn't Frost. He's chaos ball personified.

Frost is like a bull at a gate, gets it runs and slams it on his boot, doesn't always come off, but when it does it's spectacular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put me in the minority but I reckon the below the knees frees were there. Blame the rule, not the umpiring.

I'd like to see Burgoyne come in an just kick Brayshaw so hard in the head next time he dies and see if they wanna pay a free. If that's what the AFL wants as a rule combined with stricter holding the ball you may aswell not even bother getting the footy in anymore

The hilarious and fugly:

I have been spotted in the crowd on Friday night and the picture has been sent to Nuffies on AFL Pages

I'd like to see Burgoyne come in an just kick Brayshaw so hard in the head next time he dies and see if they wanna pay a free. If that's what the AFL wants as a rule combined with stricter holding the ball you may aswell not even bother getting the footy in anymore

This is just so you can be proven right about him not being on a list in three years, isn’t it?

Nathan jones did one in the last quarter last week that took someone’s legs out which was far worse than both of Friday nights and it didn’t even get paid. The rule is a mess

Last two weeks I have heard some pretty average things in the crowd from Hawthorn supporters. Carrying on like entitled spoilt brats really. Tell 'em to GGF.
Have read some respectful comments on here from Hawks supporters congratulating us on the win, so well done to those posters. Always tough after a loss to do.

But...in the crowd on Friday night i heard some really horrible stuff coming from Hawthorn supporters. I had my 8 year old with me, and it was like a lot of the Hawks supporters still thought they were playing a Dees side on the bottom of the ladder. Zero respect given and some really horrible comments about the club and players. In fact, the last few times I've been to see the Hawks vs Dees, it's been a similar story. Even a mate who sat with me who is a Hawks supporter told another couple of Hawks fans to cool it.

I had to read this one several times

My sister and I sat next to an elderly lady in the Members. She had seen all the great premierships of ours. She told us that during the second quarter of the 1964 GF, the gentleman sitting next to her (his name was Brian), so overcome by the stress of it all, lent forward in his seat and died on the spot. The authorities did not wait until Half-Time: the ambulance guys took him away in a stretcher after covering him up. I wanted to record this story somewhere - and that is what i have done.

My sister and I sat next to an elderly lady in the Members. She had seen all the great premierships of ours. She told us that during the second quarter of the 1964 GF, the gentleman sitting next to her (his name was Brian), so overcome by the stress of it all, lent forward in his seat and died on the spot. The authorities did not wait until Half-Time: the ambulance guys took him away in a stretcher after covering him up. I wanted to record this story somewhere - and that is what i have done.

Was probably her husband and had nothing to do with what was happening on the field.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back