Review Dees v Orks & the Satan Bug: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah doesn't bother me in the slightest when May or Oliver stuff a kick because they're both going for it. I'm way more angry at kicks like Petraccas in the first who just bombed it over everyone's head to the square for a point.

I wonder how much time the players spend on dribble kicks and round the corner kicks from the boundary . Casey sprayed them as well today .

In hindsight this is a very solid win imo. Not often you make 5 forced changes and still win the game.
Yeah, and the self-flagellation from Hawks supporters was over the top. They're a well-run club who can take it up to most sides on their day.

Bloody annoying. Was cheering from the rooftop when they bungled Clarko's departure. Thought it was going to hound them for a while but they haven't skipped a beat.

Hawks look good but it’s v difficult to win three finals with that half back elite kicking game style and without an elite contested midfield. WCE did it in 2018 but they were lucky to avoid Richmond and there’s a reason they got jumped in that GF. That’s part of the reason they haven’t been a threat in other finals series in 2019/2020. Also why Adelaide always finished high on the ladder from 2005 to 2017 but never won a flag. Similarly Port. Doesn’t hold up. Newcombe is a great fan but they need to bottom out.
I agree with this, but they're not the finished product - they'll obviously be looking to develop some more inside talent (Josh Ward who they drafted last year wasn't out there, who could be a real gun) and potentially trade in another star mid.

Just thinking stylistically, you have to develop a gamestyle that will win flags against the current dominant style - and I think that to beat us you have to have pretty impressive ball movement with good bounce from half back and elite kicks across the park who aren't afraid to take corridor kicks when they're there. Easier said then done under finals pressure, of course, but I don't see a team out-contesting us at the moment.

Yeah, and the self-flagellation from Hawks supporters was over the top. They're a well-run club who can take it up to most sides on their day.

Bloody annoying. Was cheering from the rooftop when they bungled Clarko's departure. Thought it was going to hound them for a while but they haven't skipped a beat.

Yep, they’ve significantly improved on last year. Will be a borderline finals team in the 7-12 bracket I’d say.

I agree with this, but they're not the finished product - they'll obviously be looking to develop some more inside talent (Josh Ward who they drafted last year wasn't out there, who could be a real gun) and potentially trade in another star mid.

Just thinking stylistically, you have to develop a gamestyle that will win flags against the current dominant style - and I think that to beat us you have to have pretty impressive ball movement with good bounce from half back and elite kicks across the park who aren't afraid to take corridor kicks when they're there. Easier said then done under finals pressure, of course, but I don't see a team out-contesting us at the moment.

Gotta say, we didn't defend particularly well - it's no surprise given Viney was 8 days off COVID, Dunston doesn't appear to have the defence down pat and some great runners in Sparrow/Koz/Jacko/ANB were out.

The Hawks took the game on, but we were uncharacteristically sloppy / slow to defend the turnover (& kick out).

Gotta say, we didn't defend particularly well - it's no surprise given Viney was 8 days off COVID, Dunston doesn't appear to have the defence down pat and some great runners in Sparrow/Koz/Jacko/ANB were out.

The Hawks took the game on, but we were uncharacteristically sloppy / slow to defend the turnover (& kick out).
Yeah, and the back 6 was pretty unsettled with Lever looking like he still had brain fog, Joel Smith getting injured and having to throw Tmac down there and Rivers making some key defensive slip ups. Hunt, Brayshaw and Bowey were solid to good. But the team defence was definitely lacking and the Hawks threw everything at us.

Josh Ward isn't it. Very boring vanilla mid, he's basically just Liam Shiels. They need a couple damaging mids, like your Petracca mold strikers

Yeah, and the back 6 was pretty unsettled with Lever looking like he still had brain fog, Joel Smith getting injured and having to throw Tmac down there and Rivers making some key defensive slip ups. Hunt, Brayshaw and Bowey were solid to good. But the team defence was definitely lacking and the Hawks threw everything at us.
Langdon being blanketed also important imo, he's always a safe option coming out of defence or setting up an attack. As the game went on we settled down but the first quarter was very rusty with setting up our defence. Hawthorn also kept a forward or two deeper to try and make May/Lever a bit more accountable.

Overall I feel like this was a pretty strong win by us, missing several key players or blokes underdone, against an organised and aggressive opponent. Flexed our muscle around the ball when we needed to with Gawn/Trac/Oliver.

Meh I don't think team defence was an issue. I think if any side plays all out attack and gets a bit of luck they can trouble any team in history. We still won, Hawks went all out attack and it helped them score but it's not like we had trouble the other way. Basically we play at a 7 every quarter and occasionally flick it to a 10. The hawks style will never win consistently because for every 10 quarter they play they also play a 4 quarter.

Langdon being blanketed also important imo, he's always a safe option coming out of defence or setting up an attack. As the game went on we settled down but the first quarter was very rusty with setting up our defence. Hawthorn also kept a forward or two deeper to try and make May/Lever a bit more accountable.

Overall I feel like this was a pretty strong win by us, missing several key players or blokes underdone, against an organised and aggressive opponent. Flexed our muscle around the ball when we needed to with Gawn/Trac/Oliver.
I think if Langdon gets tagged again then we can move him to the half back line. Because if they want to play a defensive fwd on him then so be it, it would take a fwd out of their game. Then our wingman (sparrow or Jordon) can switch with Langdon at certain times during the game and get Langdon back on the wing again.

I think if Langdon gets tagged again then we can move him to the half back line. Because if they want to play a defensive fwd on him then so be it, it would take a fwd out of their game. Then our wingman (sparrow or Jordon) can switch with Langdon at certain times during the game and get Langdon back on the wing again.
not a bad idea danster, start a fake wingman. I feel it's a bit of a quick fix and might work for only a couple quarters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not a bad idea danster, start a fake wingman. I feel it's a bit of a quick fix and might work for only a couple quarters.
Yeah. I mean it only needs to be done if Langdon is actually tagged though. I think it would be hard to defend if you have 2 people switching positions at every 2nd stoppage or something.

Yeah. I mean it only needs to be done if Langdon is actually tagged though. I think it would be hard to defend if you have 2 people switching positions at every 2nd stoppage or something.

Mind blowing genius, 100% problem solved, someone send a fax to Goody in case hes coming up blanks.

Seriously brilliant mate. :thumbsu:

Josh Ward isn't it. Very boring vanilla mid, he's basically just Liam Shiels. They need a couple damaging mids, like your Petracca mold strikers
My guy is comparing Ward to Shiels. I’ve seen everything now. 😂 but yes every team needs to follow in the direction of players like Petracca Dusty who can win games and finals off their own boots. Newcombe could turn into this but who knows.

My guy is comparing Ward to Shiels. I’ve seen everything now. 😂 but yes every team needs to follow in the direction of players like Petracca Dusty who can win games and finals off their own boots. Newcombe could turn into this but who knows.
If Ward wasn't a high draft pick you'd assume he was a 4th rounder. Shiels is miles ahead of Ward.

No. Wrong. 😂 anyway good wins you guys and 7-0 again going along way to back to back.

Mate, our football opinions are always right, we support the premiership winning team. Thats the way it works on big footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back