Review Dees v Orks & the Satan Bug: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m not disappointed with yesterday’s game because 5 good Premiership role players out playing a decent young side having a real crack is a big danger game, and we still got the job done.

I think the game style over the course of this season is trending way too much towards ‘kick it long to BBB/Weid in a pack with 4 defenders’ as the main type of forward entry.

Fritsch almost never gets a look 1v1, our crumbers have 0 space to work in and it’s pretty hard for the talls to take grabs as well.

Would love to see us play through the middle more, play fast when the opportunity is there and look for the leads. The balance is out at the moment
This. Our forward "connection" has been pox most weeks. It will cost us games if we don't fix it.

Tom McDonald should be dropped for that selfish bit of play in the goal square alone.

Good ; 7-0 start to the season .
; Not spraying our shots on goal like last week .
; Bedford getting a run .
Not so good ; Looking very unorganised down back early
; Our forward 50 entries .
Ugly ; Prior opportunity = a matter of opinion
; Hands in the back = depends .
; Insufficient intent = ? horrible rule ( Ruck can bash ball back over the boundary and that is ok apparently )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The most frustrating thing was some basic errors by players who are normally better - Trac, Oliver, May, Brayshaw all fumbly with plenty of friends there.

Gawn was great, Hunt was good, Bedford good, Bowey good, Viney / Lever - good to have them back but Lever especially was rusty.

TMac - what a dawg, Harmesy will be filthy with that mark on the line.

BBrown - 4 goals is great but he wasn't in great position up fwd, hard to tell if his fault or the mids without being there.

We played a decent game as a unit, the Hawks were very impressive also - they've been a dangerous team all year.

All in all, good win & especially good to keep the W's coming early given we've got a fairly tough draw (play Bris/Freo/Coll/WB twice). The comp looks much more even this year than 2-3 years ago so every win is valuable.

No one's saying he was great then. Just slightly better than now.

Disagree actually, with ball in hand he is similar (sure, no dashing runs)

But he's great defensively, uses his athleticism really well to defend these days.

Bit of credit to the Hawks too . They had a plan to combat our defence and i think had they converted better we could of been in a bit of trouble . Then not scoring a goal in the last let them in and it all could of ended differently . But we won so stuff them.

James Jordon has to be one of the fumbliest players in the competition right now. It's a shame, because he does an absolute power of running and his defensive work is really good, but he manages to undo a lot of his hard work to get into space by fumbling and poor decision making.

Overall I can't be too excited about the win, but it's good to keep ticking them off. Would have liked to see us take our chances early in the last and finish them off, a better side may have punished us (tbf Hawthorn were decent most of the game). Bowey a massive good again.

James Jordon has to be one of the fumbliest players in the competition right now. It's a shame, because he does an absolute power of running and his defensive work is really good, but he manages to undo a lot of his hard work to get into space by fumbling and poor decision making.

Overall I can't be too excited about the win, but it's good to keep ticking them off. Would have liked to see us take our chances early in the last and finish them off, a better side may have punished us (tbf Hawthorn were decent most of the game). Bowey a massive good again.

Fumbles killed ANB for years and whilst he hasn't been amazing this year he seems to have removed this from his game, hopefully Jordon can do the same.

There was an incredible bit of play on the wing yesterday where Jordon put in a huge effort to win a very contested ball in heavy traffic right on the boundary and keep it in and then immediately fumbled it and Bowey came in and cleaned it up with some one touch work which I think we ended up scoring from. Very heavy contrast. Crazy how ******* good Bowey is, everyone else seemed to have multiple fumbles yesterday but he was so clean

Just watched the replay. Hawks played really well without their first choice ruck or FF (as well as missing CJ). Stylistically a tough matchup for us with their elite kicking off half back and bold use of the corridor. On another day where Gunston and Breust kick straighter they might have snatched that. Super impressed with Newcombe, looks a player. This game style is what will eventually break us down I think - as we can crush almost any team on our day in the contest and defensively. Was a good matchup.

Gawny was huge. Sometimes I feel he doesn't punish the 2nd rate ruckmen but he really went to town. What a star he is. Strangely kinda forget that hes potentially the best ruck of the modern day and he continues to add strings to his bow - never would I have thought I'd see him consistently bomb set shots from 55 on the angle. Great showman too.

Clarry was excellent too. Sprayed one kick inside 50 but I'm continually impressed with his improvement of his kicking. Trusts himself to hit low darts that travel quickly inside 50 now - that one to Trac in the first Q was real nice. Doesn't sell people into trouble and has amazing awareness. Him and Trac took turns to stand up when needed.

Stoked for Bedford and showed some skill that I hadn't seen previously with that half volley. Great to see young kids come in after being stuck as the sub and play so confidently. Reckon a few clubs will be calling him as there's a real lack of smalls with pace and endurance that can kick a goal.

Defence as a whole was good but not great. Lever will be better for the run, one of the worst games ive seen him play. May was solid defensively but his kicking was oddly off. Brayshaw and Bowey so consistent back there. Rivers needs some Casey time. Too many defensive lapses and aren't getting any drive from half back from him as hes clearly carrying something and is labouring out there. Hunt continues to improve defensively, has had a solid month of good footy now.

Kinda liked Weid's game as second ruck. Was only against Callow at times but he stuck a few good grabs, was clean and brought good pressure at ground level. If Jacko goes home he's a good option in there for a goal a game/10 effective possies and some marks. Connection with the forwards was largely off, Tmac looked better after a week at Casey at BBB milked some good frees but wasn't overly involved outside of that. Langdon well held on the outer wing which stifled our ball movement and didnt give the forwards much look. Scrimshaw/Day/Sicily played very very well giving up quite a bit of height.

Tmac is a dog

Fumbles killed ANB for years and whilst he hasn't been amazing this year he seems to have removed this from his game, hopefully Jordon can do the same.
ANB is a small forward who drifts inside though. Jordan fumbles loose balls on the wings. He kills like 3 attacks a game

Clarry was excellent too. Sprayed one kick inside 50 but I'm continually impressed with his improvement of his kicking. Trusts himself to hit low darts that travel quickly inside 50 now - that one to Trac in the first Q was real nice. Doesn't sell people into trouble and has amazing awareness. Him and Trac took turns to stand up when needed.

1. Doesn't sell people into trouble - Nearly killed Dunstan last week with a hospital handball
2. What about his two kicks coming out of defense that missed the target by a mile

Anyway.

I like how hes more aggressive with his kicks this year, always looking to hit up a player in the corridor first most of the time rather the the timid chip kicks that accomplish nothing that he used to do.

Just watched the replay. Hawks played really well without their first choice ruck or FF (as well as missing CJ). Stylistically a tough matchup for us with their elite kicking off half back and bold use of the corridor. On another day where Gunston and Breust kick straighter they might have snatched that. Super impressed with Newcombe, looks a player. This game style is what will eventually break us down I think - as we can crush almost any team on our day in the contest and defensively. Was a good matchup.

Gawny was huge. Sometimes I feel he doesn't punish the 2nd rate ruckmen but he really went to town. What a star he is. Strangely kinda forget that hes potentially the best ruck of the modern day and he continues to add strings to his bow - never would I have thought I'd see him consistently bomb set shots from 55 on the angle. Great showman too.

Stoked for Bedford and showed some skill that I hadn't seen previously with that half volley. Great to see young kids come in after being stuck as the sub and play so confidently. Reckon a few clubs will be calling him as there's a real lack of smalls with pace and endurance that can kick a goal.

Defence as a whole was good but not great. Lever will be better for the run, one of the worst games ive seen him play. May was solid defensively but his kicking was oddly off. Brayshaw and Bowey so consistent back there. Rivers needs some Casey time. Too many defensive lapses and aren't getting any drive from half back from him as hes clearly carrying something and is labouring out there. Hunt continues to improve defensively, has had a solid month of good footy now.

Kinda liked Weid's game as second ruck. Was only against Callow at times but he stuck a few good grabs, was clean and brought good pressure at ground level. If Jacko goes home he's a good option in there for a goal a game/10 effective possies and some marks. Connection with the forwards was largely off, Tmac looked better after a week at Casey at BBB milked some good frees but wasn't overly involved outside of that. Langdon well held on the outer wing which stifled our ball movement and didnt give the forwards much look. Scrimshaw/Day/Sicily played very very well giving up quite a bit of height.

Tmac is a dog
Hawks look good but it’s v difficult to win three finals with that half back elite kicking game style and without an elite contested midfield. WCE did it in 2018 but they were lucky to avoid Richmond and there’s a reason they got jumped in that GF. That’s part of the reason they haven’t been a threat in other finals series in 2019/2020. Also why Adelaide always finished high on the ladder from 2005 to 2017 but never won a flag. Similarly Port. Doesn’t hold up. Newcombe is a great fan but they need to bottom out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back