Review Dees v Poort in the Jack Watts Cup: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Worried now about screwing the season by losing too many early games due to fitness

Nobody likes to go and play at Geelong, but they don’t have a good ruckman and I can see Gawn bouncing back.

Jones and Viney especially looked like they were still 2 games away from being ready but let’s hope they lift.

May back to take Hawkins might also help..

We lost the ruck, We didn't win our own footy, which is usually our only saving grace from getting a smacking on the outside. So really we we're incompetent in all facets of the game

Our response after that round 21 loss to Sydney shows that we shouldn't melt too hard yet, save judgment till round 5.

Still a really deflating loss, particularly round 1 at the MCG, membership push etc, and we serve that up, we're really our own worst enemy.

Our response after that round 21 loss to Sydney shows that we shouldn't melt too hard yet, save judgment till round 5.

Still a really deflating loss, particularly round 1 at the MCG, membership push etc, and we serve that up, we're really our own worst enemy.
As with anything it presents an opportunity. Back up against the wall heading to the Cattery to play a red-hot Geelong. Win that and we go into the Friday night home game v Essendon with a good narrative. Lose...and the Essendon game is going to be v problematic.

We lost the ruck, We didn't win our own footy, which is usually our only saving grace from getting a smacking on the outside. So really we we're incompetent in all facets of the game
It was annoying. We need more than one strength because whenever a team manages to neutralise it we have no other options. Listening to Goody’s weird message where he just witters on about it not being our ‘brand’ and not winning stoppage or being a forward half team my teeth were grinding.

As with anything it presents an opportunity. Back up against the wall heading to the Cattery to play a red-hot Geelong. Win that and we go into the Friday night home game v Essendon with a good narrative. Lose...and the Essendon game is going to be v problematic.
we've shown over the last few years that we can beat anyone/anywhere, there aren't any games I'd mark down as a definite loss, it's just the sort of games like yesterday that frustrate more.

I reckon we will play much better but lose in a close one (Again). We play small grounds well and match up well on the Cats.

A lot of players looking underdone, but I'm not sure we have the depth with our injury list to be giving Jones, Viney, May etc. more time to get fit.

Still have the same issue of too many players getting sucked to the ball, as soon as Port got it to the outside we were toast.

We have a seriously hard draw, we'll need to be significantly better than last season just to make the 8, can't afford many more performances like that.

I'm certain there are other factors. Playing unfit players though would be pretty high up on the list though
Yeah misson is supposed to get them fit, but he isn't selecting them to play.
Nor does he have anything to do with, for example, whether our players can kick or mark the ball, or whether they decide to take a bounce while being a quarter of a second from barreling headlong into three oppo players.

I like the Goody video to the fans reckon he should do one at 1/4 time, 1/2 time and 3/4 time also .

Perhaps one or two during the week when he's on the crapper as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its seems like once the momentum went against us self preservation/instinct kicked in and players do what they do, focus on what they're good at. We have a midfield full of inside mids who only wanted to get inside and try to either 1. have a good game for themselves or 2. glass half full, lift the team. Problem is we have no one who instinctively stays outside so if they're all trying to take the game on this will continue to happen. Until we can instill that into some of our mids, especially when the pressure is on this will keep on happening.

I saw the Jones dropped mark 'highlight'. Meh, guy has been a legend of the club so let it pass. Its not like we see it happen often. Did cost us dearly though.

I haven't seen the game so am going on what has been said here. Planned to watch the game when I got home but couldn't put myself through it. Gone are the days 09-10 and 12-13 where I could watch a replay of a bad loss looking for glimmers of hope and the potential players have. Don't have the time or inclination when thats not the team we should be any longer.

I couldn't believe the change in momentum. I was able to listen to the first quarter before going into a meeting and the commentators were saying the game had a 'stench' to it such was the disparity of skill and desire in the first 25 minutes of the game. They thought Port were out of the game already. Then we get what we got. Port took less than a quarter to work us out them took over.

I actually think we are a chance next week at Kardinia Park. Cats play there well but so do we and we match up well against them. By the sounds of it though we have a number underdone so might not be a true reflection.

I actually had something else I wanted to say but after descending into this post I forgot.

No doubt teams will continue to do what port did to us on the MCG, just spread the ball out to the wings coming out of defensive 50 and easily take it the length of the ground. Very concerning that we appeared to have no defensive mechanisms to at least try and combat this at any point.

No doubt teams will continue to do what port did to us on the MCG, just spread the ball out to the wings coming out of defensive 50 and easily take it the length of the ground. Very concerning that we appeared to have no defensive mechanisms to at least try and combat this at any point.
Port pretty much did what Geelong did to us in round 1 of last year and the same rhetoric was made then.

We just got a bit too far ahead of ourselves imo. Port knocked us back to reality. Gotta work hard this week and come out better on Saturday. Time to wake up and find the form that got us into that prelim to begin with.

Nobody likes to go and play at Geelong, but they don’t have a good ruckman and I can see Gawn bouncing back.

Jones and Viney especially looked like they were still 2 games away from being ready but let’s hope they lift.

May back to take Hawkins might also help..
Did you watch the Cats/Pies game? Cats ruckman Stanley smashed AA Grundy. The thing thats worrying is that Stanley plays similar to Lycett who smashed Gawn. So don't fall into the trap of thinking Max is going to have an easy one this week. Stanley beat him last year as well, or at least nullified Max.

Ive seen some shockers by this team over the years, but i can't recall a worse game by a leadership group in a long long time. Maybe ever. Jones was embarrassing tbh. Wtf was that?? Some of those mistakes had nothing to do with fitness. Career looks just about done unfortunately. Viney just had zero impact. Where was the intensity? He couldn't run which didn't help, so put up your hand and say i need another week or two to get fit! And Gawn was putrid. That effort in the 2nd quarter which cost a goal was soft, lazy and weak. Couldn't jump at contests, wasn't running with his opponents. Got bullied all game and literally gave nothing back.

How can we expect our younger blokes to lift if our leaders put on a display like that? Compare that to Boak, Westhoff, Ryder(who had a broken cheekbone) and Robbie Gray and you can see where the difference is. Those saying we'll get close against the Cats have no idea. We will cop an absolute belting..

I wanna know what we plan to do about the ruck situation.
Weidemans poor fitness and understanding of the rules cost us 2 of their first 5 goals.
Their first goal came from Weid failing to even make the ruck contest which was tapped to Boak, He goaled from 45

2nd he took out of the ruck, s**t himself and handed straight to a Port player who flicked it onto Butters I think for their 5th goal.
There was a couple more times he didn't even make it to the ruck.
They scored heavily from stoppages and I guess the majority was in the time Weid was rucking.

Doesn't necessarily have to Preuss, but Weid cant keep dishing up s**t like that.

Did you watch the Cats/Pies game? Cats ruckman Stanley smashed AA Grundy. The thing thats worrying is that Stanley plays similar to Lycett who smashed Gawn. So don't fall into the trap of thinking Max is going to have an easy one this week. Stanley beat him last year as well, or at least nullified Max.

Fair enough - I don’t assume anything, Gawn could have another poor game and Stanley could have a ripper.

I would rather a good game from Gawn against Stanley than a poor game from Gawn against Ryder and Lycett though.

We should have brought in Preuss for Lewis - but that’s just hindshight.

I wanna know what we plan to do about the ruck situation.
Weidemans poor fitness and understanding of the rules cost us 2 of their first 5 goals.
Their first goal came from Weid failing to even make the ruck contest which was tapped to Boak, He goaled from 45

2nd he took out of the ruck, s**t himself and handed straight to a Port player who flicked it onto Butters I think for their 5th goal.
There was a couple more times he didn't even make it to the ruck.
They scored heavily from stoppages and I guess the majority was in the time Weid was rucking.

Doesn't necessarily have to Preuss, but Weid cant keep dishing up s**t like that.
Besides a ripping tackle and a huge contested mark, Weid was pretty useless. Didn't help our mids were belted i know, but to not get to several ruck contests is not good enough if thats your role. I think we have to try the two ruck experiment at some point sooner rather than later. Or get Keilty into the side? Everytime I've seen him play, he looks bloody decent and competes really well in the ruck. Teams are just going to hit Gawn at every opportunity and have their rucks run him into the ground.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back