Review Dees v Richmond: the Good, Bad & Up the Clacker

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the match, first live for the year.
Melbourne started well, fast ball movement was unnerving.
Certainly, the Dees were not disgraced.
In particular, I liked the move of Petracca to the centre.
Fritsch is excellent, hard to match up on, tall and agile.
Gawn was superb, needless to say.
Richmond physically targets Viney each time, obviously he is respected as a playmaker.
The building blocks of success for Melbourne are there.

Lack of replies here tell the story. Lost in the same manner we have all season, effort was there, but our forward entires were awful and we get killed on the rebound and allow ample space for Richmond’s forwards.

It’s actually impressive just how awful we’ve been this season, I didn’t expect us to finish top 4, but to solidify 17th spot is something else.

Maybe if we play half a season in the NT we could afford to pay out Goodwin haha.

I haven't watched that many of our games this year thankfully, but the first half was surprisingly good. We matched them for a lot of it, even with a decimated forward line and back line. Lynch won't always bomb a goal from outside 50 on the boundary on the wrong side for a right footer (very similar spot v us when we played GC a few yrs back!) and Soldo basically tripped over the rubbish boundary throw in that went in as a goal. They were all in the first half or early 3rd I'm pretty sure. We were matching them in the air too, especially Gawny and Petty.
But as soon as the rain came down, we changed nothing. The Tigers are built for wet weather. Normally rain makes it more even, but the Tigers just loved it. It makes it easier to turn over and lock a ball in.
Overall, I'm not too disappointed with that effort. On paper we should've lost that game by 80 points.

Complaning about their lucky goals? Seriously? They missed about 6 absolute sodas right in front!

Man, even when we get a fast break our forwards all essentially just jog back into our 50 with their hand up, pointing to nothing, it makes my blood boil

Even though our mids aren't the best kicks, the forwards regularly give them NOTHING to kick to, they're all wanting a cheapy out the back or some perfect kick to break the game open for them.

A fit and firing TMAC actually getting on his bike and using his athleticism to make multiple leads is so important for 2020

Commiserations on the loss.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Harmes 21
Dunkley 20 wing
Oliver 17
JKH 17 wing
Viney 16
Baker 14 wing
Brayshaw 12
Petracca 10
Lewis 1 wing
Hunt 1
Melksham 1

Rucks:
Gawn 19
Preuss 7

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Viney 4
Petracca 2
Oliver 2
JKH 2
Harmes 2
Brayshaw 1
Jones 1

1st Half - 14

Dunkley 11 wing
Harmes 9
Oliver 9
Brayshaw 9
JKH 8 wing
Baker 8 wing
Petracca 8
Lewis 1 wing

Gawn 9
Preuss 5

2nd Half - 12

Harmes 12
Dunkley 9 wing
JKH 9 wing
Viney 9
Oliver 8
Baker 6 wing
Brayshaw 3
Petracca 2
Hunt 1
Melksham 1

Gawn 12
Preuss 2

Notes - pertain to the 13 analysed games this season and those from previous seasons:
- Most ever starts for Dunkley
- Equal most starts for Petracca this season (with Rd 2)
- Most starts for Baker since Queen's Birthday
- Hunt's debut start as an inside mid
- Brayshaw didn't receive a start in the last

Complaning about their lucky goals? Seriously? They missed about 6 absolute sodas right in front!
Nah no complaints, just a few observations. They missed a few sitters, kicked a few insane ones. I'll get on with my life. Just not sure what you're doing on here? Good luck in finals. Hope you kick straight.

Called us irrelevant on FC. Which is fine, who cares. but she said the same thing on 3aw last week, which makes me wonder what her motive is. Just seems cold and calculated
No, we just suck and have a weak CEO, coach and captain who are incapable of driving standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%, but Caro can fu** off too
I like her. She's usually pretty happy to attack any and all clubs if they deserve it. We definitely do, but Crazy Goody is totally convinced that everything is fine. I guarantee you Roos is just as angry.

I like her. She's usually pretty happy to attack any and all clubs if they deserve it. We definitely do, but Crazy Goody is totally convinced that everything is fine. I guarantee you Roos is just as angry.

Yeah but Roosy would never say that 'nobody cares' about us, as he has witnessed first hand how passionate the supporters are particularly last years finals series with back to back 90k+ crowds. and i agree she should give it to Bartlett and Goody with both battles i dont give a s**t, but to have a crack at the supporter base as she is seemingly doing, and on multiple media platforms is just cheap and just nasty

Ew.
She solely exists for controversy and doesn't have an actual opinion on the sport. Her only role is to make life s**t for other people. Scum

Ew.
She solely exists for controversy and doesn't have an actual opinion on the sport. Her only role is to make life s**t for other people. Scum
She’s a journalist. Her role is to ask questions. Her bent is football operations rather than on field stuff. She does her job well. Deal with it.

She’s a journalist. Her role is to ask questions. Her bent is football operations rather than on field stuff. She does her job well. Deal with it.

Then she should be asking the right tough questions, like: Why haven't we been able to turn things around? What has Goodwin done to turn things around? Why was Goodwin given a 3-year extension given he had a flawed gameplan that only really clicked for one month and, apparently, had no plan to evolve anything this season?

Calling a club irrelevant is just a blatant, attention-grabbing shot at the supporters, who are already hurting and, more importantly, wanting to know the answers to the questions that SHE ISN'T ASKING!

She hasn’t really asked questions, done research or credible reporting, for some years now though. She’s just an opinion shock jock these days. Say something controversial in a firm voice then sit back and let the reactions become the story.

I have no issue with her preference for examining club structures, footy departments and internal politics and personalities that impede a clubs performance. It’s a good line of enquiry and should be mined.

I do take issue these days with the way she does it, which seems to me to be entirely lazy - no real reporting and no demonstrable evidence for her negative proclamations.

That nice Essendon supporter who pops in these threads said:
Here are the midfield frequency stats from the game. If you haven't seen a previous post, this is an overall summary of how often your players were lining up as one of the 5 mids at bounces.

Overall Summary - 26 Bounces

Harmes 21
Dunkley 20 wing
Oliver 17
JKH 17 wing
Viney 16
Baker 14 wing
Brayshaw 12
Petracca 10
Lewis 1 wing
Hunt 1
Melksham 1

Rucks:
Gawn 19
Preuss 7

Centre Clearances (as per Champion Data/AFL.com.au)
Viney 4
Petracca 2
Oliver 2
JKH 2
Harmes 2
Brayshaw 1
Jones 1

1st Half - 14

Dunkley 11 wing
Harmes 9
Oliver 9
Brayshaw 9
JKH 8 wing
Baker 8 wing
Petracca 8
Lewis 1 wing

Gawn 9
Preuss 5

2nd Half - 12

Harmes 12
Dunkley 9 wing
JKH 9 wing
Viney 9
Oliver 8
Baker 6 wing
Brayshaw 3
Petracca 2
Hunt 1
Melksham 1

Gawn 12
Preuss 2

Notes - pertain to the 13 analysed games this season and those from previous seasons:
- Most ever starts for Dunkley
- Equal most starts for Petracca this season (with Rd 2)
- Most starts for Baker since Queen's Birthday
- Hunt's debut start as an inside mid
- Brayshaw didn't receive a start in the last
Didn't watch the game, but would someone mind offering some insight as to why JKH was in at the centre bounces more often than Viney, Brayshaw and Trac?

I mean fair enough give some of the young kids a run in the middle, why not, who cares about winning games or anything like that. But we're apparently a chance to win and we come out in the second half and throw a potatoe in the centre more often than Clayton Oliver?

Bit confused on that one.

Didn't watch the game, but would someone mind offering some insight as to why JKH was in at the centre bounces more often than Viney, Brayshaw and Trac?

I mean fair enough give some of the young kids a run in the middle, why not, who cares about winning games or anything like that. But we're apparently a chance to win and we come out in the second half and throw a potatoe in the centre more often than Clayton Oliver?

Bit confused on that one.

One thing i noticed with JKH was the way he literally gets the ball in a pack situation and sort of jumps and loops a high handball to a team mate standing half a metre away from him with about 5 opponents around him, he can get the ball but isn't damaging in any way shape or form.

So how is it going fellow Melbourne supporters? I haven't watched an entire game now in 10 weeks.. Fair performance by the club to turn me off my own team by that much.

Haven't missed one of Simon Goodwin's after the siren segments tho, riveting stuff, you never know what he's going say each week but you can bet it will be one of

A) we're all hurting just like you, the players and the coaches
B) we are sick of losing, it's time to start winning or
C) there was some real improvement for <enter quarter or half when opposition decided to go easy on us>

Great club, great players, great coaches. 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back