Review Dees v Roy-Bears: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Potentially unpopular opinion, but when we got 5 goals up, I think we put the cue in the rack, and went into self preservation mode, looking to next week with a 6 day break, expecting the Lions to have just rolled over and to do the rest of the qrt pretty easy. There was a big drop in intensity, and to their credit, Brisbane lifted a gear and made us earn it.

If true, its disappointing as we could have made it very difficult to drop out of the 8 win lose or draw next week, but I'm not overly upset (having won the game in the end anyway) that focus was turned to next week, as if that intensity and pressure is there for most of the game against the Pies, percentage won't be a factor.

Yeah, we always have to keep things in perspective. I think if we'd been offered the chance to be in this position before the season, we would have taken it, especially since basically all of our best players have had interrupted years and missed a lot of games. Still, I'm not sure that means we should be comfortable with just how easily Brisbane got back into the game in the last, helped along by some shocking kicks and our inability to counter the spread. If we're not 20% better next week then I think Collingwood will probably beat us, and if we make it to finals then we'll get ripped apart allowing opposition teams that much time and space on the counter.

Anyway.

Good:

- Pedo again. Critical for team structure and 24 disposals with 3 goals is amazing for ruck / forward swingman.
- Petracca had his best game for a while.
- Oliver had a mediocre game, but still managed 30 disposals, remarkable for a 19 year old. I can't think of any word which means "something which has never happened before", but Oliver is definitely that.
- Hogan obviously. Amazing, given the year he's had, to come back after a broken collar bone and put in a performance like that.
- Melksham has been brilliant over the last couple of months, and his first half today was easily the best he's produced for the club. Hope the haters are enjoying their humble pie.
- Lewis / Hibberd / Jetta all solid down back.

Bad:

- Wagner and Stretch. Wrong time of the year to be giving fringe players a shot at finding form. There is hope for both of them yet, but they shouldn't be in the team right now.
- Vince is playing as many shckers as good games at the moment. A concern.
- Gawn is winning hitouts but doesn't seem to be giving us any advantage at the stoppages. Beaten comfortably for the second week in a row.
- As I said above, we were carved up on the counter. If Brisbane won the ball at half back, they were able to stroll it to their forward 50 basically every time. Good teams will eat us alive if we give them that sort of freedom.
- Small forwards (Melksham excepted) have been down for a few weeks now. I like Hannan's hustle, but he needs to make an impact more consistently. Garlett's had a few down weeks as well.

Ugly:

- Rhyce Mathieson. Biggest cheat in the AFL. What a utensil.
Unprecedented

Good:

I was sitting in the front row of Olympic so got wedged in by families waiting for kick-to-kick. So since I couldn't leave and was stuck there singing the song multiple times, I had my first and last opportunity to participate in the High-five random player as they run past the stand.

My tally is:

Max Gawn (two hands actually, double-high-five - very big hands. Quite tough, like a carpenter)
Hibberd (left hand - firm slap with a bit of sting)
Dom Tyson (don't remember his hands but I yelled 'nice hair Dom' at him and he looked puzzled)
Harmes (pretty much as you would expect a Harmes hand to be)
Brayshaw (large hands - yelled 'thanks' at back at the crowd)
Jayden Hunt (interesting - quite a warm, squooshy hand - sort of like a reasonably clean child when you have to take them across a road).

That's all the hands I remember.

Edit: I forgot Jones. I can't remember his hand particularly but I feel sure it was a mature, captain sort of hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:

I was sitting in the front row of Olympic so got wedged in by families waiting for kick-to-kick. So since I couldn't leave and was stuck there singing the song multiple times, I had my first and last opportunity to participate in the High-five random player as they run past the stand.

My tally is:

Max Gawn (two hands actually, double-high-five - very big hands. Quite tough, like a carpenter)
Hibberd (left hand - firm slap with a bit of sting)
Dom Tyson (don't remember his hands but I yelled 'nice hair Dom' at him and he looked puzzled)
Harmes (pretty much as you would expect a Harmes hand to be)
background-avta-77.png

The bad:

All the goals on the MFC website, I swear they use to show The passage of play that lead to the goal but now it's just 3 seconds of lead up play and then then kick on goal itself.

The bad:

All the goals on the MFC website, I swear they use to show The passage of play that lead to the goal but now it's just 3 seconds of lead up play and then then kick on goal itself.

Its funny how they've done it, originally they showed all the goals, then they tried to make it a 'best of' the goals (So it'd only show like 5-6 goals from the game) until people complained and they brought back all the goals. I think the AFL limits just how much footage they can use from games, so they have to be under a certain time or something

Potentially unpopular opinion, but when we got 5 goals up, I think we put the cue in the rack, and went into self preservation mode, looking to next week with a 6 day break, expecting the Lions to have just rolled over and to do the rest of the qrt pretty easy. There was a big drop in intensity, and to their credit, Brisbane lifted a gear and made us earn it.

If true, its disappointing as we could have made it very difficult to drop out of the 8 win lose or draw next week, but I'm not overly upset (having won the game in the end anyway) that focus was turned to next week, as if that intensity and pressure is there for most of the game against the Pies, percentage won't be a factor.

This is our psychological problem all season, against teams 'we should beat' we aren't focused for large chunks of the game, until there's a freak out maybe we'll lose this moment, and we turn it on for a few minutes here and there. Problem is we've dropped games against the hawks, freo and north that we shouldn't have, and struggled past brisbane and carlton.

They only good team we didn't turn up at all against was Sydney, and that was the back of all those 6 days breaks and injuries. It seemingly doesn't matter who we are playing, just expect it to be a tight game. Gives me a strange confidence that we won't get smashed in a final, we will be more than competitive.

This is our psychological problem all season, against teams 'we should beat' we aren't focused for large chunks of the game, until there's a freak out maybe we'll lose this moment, and we turn it on for a few minutes here and there. Problem is we've dropped games against the hawks, freo and north that we shouldn't have, and struggled past brisbane and carlton.

They only good team we didn't turn up at all against was Sydney, and that was the back of all those 6 days breaks and injuries. It seemingly doesn't matter who we are playing, just expect it to be a tight game. Gives me a strange confidence that we won't get smashed in a final, we will be more than competitive.
Yep, it's definitely something we need to move past. I'm hopeful that its one of the last signs of our young, immature list, and next year we'll have moved passed it, and we'll beat these teams that we should, and put the foot to the throat when we get on top, rather than getting comfortable.

Oh forgot to mention, saw Beamer and Col Sylvia walking into a function at half time. Good to see them still caring about us. Beamer was in an MFC tie. They are both absolute units. We don't miss either of them on the field though!
Have they both been in a good padock?

Do you have level 2 reserved seating?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back