Review Dees v Scraggers: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly - dedicated to Yze Magic

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone who thinks we're better without Hogan is a moron.
Stronly this, but also we will look so much better in the medium term for having to play much of the season without Hogan.

Our forwards look great at the moment but the reality is that it has taken a good 7-8 matches to develop some continuity and knowledge of each other without Hogan there to build the forward line around. Look back a couple of games and it was a hot mess. The first half against the Suns was farcical - too congested, over-possession of the ball, no synergy between the players, wasteful entries into the 50, intercept marks galore.

The last few weeks has seen a massive change. Bugg has really grown into the small forward role, save for his goal-kicking at times. Harmes and ANB likewise have benefitted from a run of games to carve out a role and a position. Garlett is obviously having a career season. Having Pedo play more forward and TMac more ruck has also helped, as Pedo has some grasp on forward craft whereas Tom runs around like a headless chook. Petracca is an absolute weapon - as has been said, what a luxury to have him able to play FF, flank or as a genuine mid and have a huge impact either way. Watts is a gun.

Hogan's return will be long-awaited and anyone with half a football brain will be glad to see him out there for a host of reasons. He will give us the ability to go long at times when needed, but the important part of his absence has been how our makeshift forward line has learned to work together and find a variety of avenues to goal. Much like at Hawthorn in 2012, when Buddy had one foot out the door, it's invaluable to have a multi-pronged attack that isn't too focused on one gun tall.

Good:
Where do you start?
Best game I've seen Salem play and is becoming the player we hoped he would. Sublime kick.
Tyson first half great again - changing opinion.
Omac - crikey. This kid will be fine!
Hibberd - #1 recruit of the year. Will win our b&f.
Hannan - #2 recruit of the year.
Bugg - prepared to put himself out there knowing he'd cop a heap of s**t if we lost or he played a stinker. Germ - love it.
Jetta - AA.
Backing up.
We are a genuinely tough football team.

Bad:
Western Bulldogs.
Captain Wood getting sucked in.

Fugly:
Jake Stringer, JJ, Tom Boyd.

Hibberd was good too, as was Salem, though he did make some occasional errors overall I thought he was a big contributor. So life gets better when you have a bunch of defenders play well.

Good:
Best game I've seen Salem play and is becoming the player we hoped he would. Sublime kick.

These are both good comments, and although they look contradictory, they're the two sides of the same coin. I'm loving the way Salem's going about it this year, really taking the game on a lot more and going for a lot higher degree of difficulty, so there are bound to be times when it backfires. But we are so much better when he's taking the game on, and that's exactly what he needs to do. He's got such good skills already, but they'll only get better over time.

Great
- The first time we've outscored the opposition in every quarter since 2015 Round 1
- The first time we've held a team goaless for a quarter since 2015 Round 2

Good
- Watts
- Jetta is seriously a gun
- Bugg with a mindgames pregame and during
- Said it last week, but got more friends this week, omac was good
- Hibberd and Hannan are both great pickups
- Boss Baby

Bad
- NIB wasn't awful, but he was average, his disposals aren't great. needs a spell imo

Fugly
- Sooks

These are both good comments, and although they look contradictory, they're the two sides of the same coin. I'm loving the way Salem's going about it this year, really taking the game on a lot more and going for a lot higher degree of difficulty, so there are bound to be times when it backfires. But we are so much better when he's taking the game on, and that's exactly what he needs to do. He's got such good skills already, but they'll only get better over time.

Ive loved his pressure, not a side of his game that's been huge in the past, his tackling has been magnificent this year.

Stronly this, but also we will look so much better in the medium term for having to play much of the season without Hogan.

You and G2B are both kidding yourselves. Hogan will be twiddling his thumbs in the magoos while Spencil noodles his way to a casual 100 sausage rolls during the second half of the season.

Good
- Finally played 4 quarters of footy in a match.
- Salem is classy as *. Really hope all the injury and illness issues are behind him

Bad
- Maybe Docklands isn't all that terrible a stadium after all

Fugly
- The ways I'm envisioning this team bottling the season

Docklands is still s**t. I ******* hate that place. It's a cold concrete mess and every seat is a bad one. The only positive is being able to close the roof so it's not as s**t as it is normally during day games

Docklands is still s**t. I ******* hate that place. It's a cold concrete mess and every seat is a bad one. The only positive is being able to close the roof so it's not as s**t as it is normally during day games

How dare you speak about our ground like that...You shut your god damn whore mouth.

Good:
- Our tackling. I know everyone has been saying 'pressure' was good, but our tackling was as ferocious and precise as I've seen. Unlucky not to be rewarded even more than we were. We've come a looong way from where we were in this regard. Salem's tackling has improved out of sight. Pedersen laid some bone crunching, chase-down tackles that stuck too. Bulldogs rarely had an easy minute or two on the ball.
- The best part of the game for me though, was when it threatened to get really niggly with spotfires breaking out at every stoppage. In years gone by it would have been us who gave away the double goal and then a stupid 50 to lose all momentum. I was afraid it would happen yesterday as well, but we didn't get sucked in too much and it all ended with Watts draining another beautiful set shot from the boundary on half time. Just awesome stuff
- Not many have mentioned him but Oliver was still great again. This bloke has played what, 25 games?? We've got a bloody well superstar there. Couple of nice kicks too.
- Sinking the boot in and not letting them get cheap goals to lessen the margin.

Bad:
Their supporters turned a bit feral. For a bunch who just won a flag, pretty classless in patches. I pretty much just do laps of the ground level concourse at etihad games because i can't stand the 3rd level. Walking behind the dogs' end goals when Watts was lining up...
"YOU'RE SH*** WATTS, YOU'RE SHHIIIIIII****!!! WATTS, YOU'RE SHIIIIIIIII****" - like this bloke was leaning as far as he could over the fence up the back to scream this with veins popping out everywhere. Even after it sailed through.
We probably do the same thing with umpires at our home games, but we don't get the run that they do (and did all the way to a flag). Some of the howling at just 100% correct free kicks was reminiscent of last week. I don't mind people going off when it's a shocker or even a 50-50, but some of the ones they got upset about were just not incorrect ffs.

Fugly:
When standing behind the seats, you can't see a scoreboard at that hellhole. The TVs have just normal TV sized scoreboards on them so you can barely see it, and on the grandstands they choose to display (5 minutes too old) interchange information. Show the bloody score. First season of living on the west side, and I'm trying to warm to etihad because it's 15 minutes' closer to home now but ughhh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SUPER UGLY: Being forced to sit through the abortion of a program that is he Bounce to near the song..
I tried to wait for the song, but I couldn't do it. Fortunately, you know it will always be up on the MFC app and website to watch on repeat.

That Bounce 'show' is an abomination.

How on god's green earth can anyone not enjoy the loveable larrikin's Spud, Moons and Gazey on a Sunday night? HILARITY at its finest! #mustwatchtv

Last edited:
So, I've had some time to think about this now and here we go:
Good
  • Fully executing our game plan for the first time and seeing it destroy a good team
  • Winning 4 quarters for the first time in years
  • Our tackling was precise, ferocious and relentless
  • Backs, mids and forwards all played well and linked together
  • Too many individuals to name, pretty much the entire team
  • Finally having enough players at an AFL standard that there is actual competition for a spot in the 22
Bad
  • Jong's ACL
  • Bugg's set shots
Fugly
  • The umpiring. We flogged them by enough it doesn't enter into it, and it's always nice when we get a lucky one our way, but I think that there are parts of the game where the rules are so convoluted it's impossible to umpire. Things like deliberate put the umpires in an impossible position unless they are telepathic, and don't get me started on the mess that is tackling (unless you enjoy hearing a crazy person ranting - in which case grab a six pack and start me off with a question about prior opportunity. If I start to fade just mention ducking into the tackle and I'll keep going for hours...). The AFL has made their job impossible, recent rule changes/interpretations have made it worse, then they fine anyone who says anything the tiniest bit negative which means people can't even talk about the problem. If the AFL wants people to respect umpires there's no point just putting more of them out on the ground, they need to have a long hard look at some of the rules to make it workable for them.

Made the mistake of watching both FTA footy shows (ha) last nite , "Talking Crap" made we wonder if we actually played in that game, no discussion about the WINNERS , no credit for us dismantling last years premiers , nadah , s**t stain of a show.
"The Hutchy Show " was a bit better until hutchy decided to re-invent the wheel , like no-one has ever thought of calling them the "Kangas" and shipping them off somewhere . To make it worse Buggs Instagram pic got more discussion than our performance .
Although watching Carey when they were discussing North talk about every thing but his contribution to Norf's demise (when he was there) was mildly amusing. Will not watch that crap again.

Made the mistake of watching both FTA footy shows (ha) last nite , "Talking Crap" made we wonder if we actually played in that game, no discussion about the WINNERS , no credit for us dismantling last years premiers , nadah , s**t stain of a show.
"The Hutchy Show " was a bit better until hutchy decided to re-invent the wheel , like no-one has ever thought of calling them the "Kangas" and shipping them off somewhere . To make it worse Buggs Instagram pic got more discussion than our performance .
Although watching Carey when they were discussing North talk about every thing but his contribution to Norf's demise (when he was there) was mildly amusing. Will not watch that crap again.
Yeah watched the first one and I don't think they even mentioned Melbourne

It really annoys me that the only real talk I've heard from the media about us since Sunday have been stupid platitudes like 'premiership contender' Setting us up to fail so they can just follow it up by calling us 'teasers'

It really annoys me that the only real talk I've heard from the media about us since Sunday have been stupid platitudes like 'premiership contender' Setting us up to fail so they can just follow it up by calling us 'teasers'
The hyperbole that permeates the footy media just shits me, but it's all just clickbait s**t to get traffic to their website for the almighty dollar.
If it was accurately reported they would just say that it seems Melbourne is finally playing a consistent brand of football that could see them play finals this year and contend in the future, but they'd prefer to put us up on a pedestal this week so they can tear us back down when we have an off week (which will happen at some point)
ah well, * 'em

Remove this Banner Ad

Back