Review Dees v Suns: the Good, Bad & Fugly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bad: JKH's hospital kick across half forward in the 2nd quarter that almost got his captain killed. I honestly feared for Nath's life while that ball hung in the air and he had two GC players barring down on him at full pelt from both directions.

I see your little game JKH, the more people you send to the sidelines with injury the more senior games you get. Is that it?

Get your ******* s**t together man!@
He literally tried to kick that one to the moon.

To be fair he had a few good moments but that was ass

OMac lacks urgency for mine. Not soft, just lackadaisical. It shits me!

Also what has happened to TMac the deadeye? He was always going to fall back eventually but I wouldn't have him kicking for my life. Hogan at the moment.

Oliver was just taking the piss in that first quarter like an 18 year old playing in the under 10s.
On this, before his 2nd set shot he had his knee wrenched in the contest and was hobbling back to take the kick. Reckon it messed with his movement.

He’ll be right

Bad: JKH's hospital kick across half forward in the 2nd quarter that almost got his captain killed. I honestly feared for Nath's life while that ball hung in the air and he had two GC players barring down on him at full pelt from both directions.

I see your little game JKH, the more people you send to the sidelines with injury the more senior games you get. Is that it?

Get your ******* s**t together man!@

Legit too because Jonesy has had neck damage over the years and the one GC bloke left an elbow in the side of his head.

Midfield frequency stats for the match. For those that haven't seen one of these posts before, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of your 5 mids at bounces.

There were 31 bounces

Jones 27 (14i, 13w)
Harmes 27
Oliver 21 (1w)
Tyson 20 (15w, 5i)
Brayshaw 19
JKH 17 wing
Fritsch 12 wing
Petracca 8
Vince 4 wing

Rucks:
Gawn 23
T.McDonald 8

Notes:
- Normal structure again this week with the small forwards rotating through the back of the square starting role.
- Of the 11 Melbourne games analysed, this is an equal most use of the back-up ruck, probably not surprisingly tying with the Alice Springs match.
- Most ever starts for JKH in analysed games surpassing the 16 in Rd 18 last year
- Another new benchmark for 2nd most inside starts for Tyson in analysed games this season - he's now had 7 starts in the last 2 games, compared to 1 in the 4 analysed games before this (Rds 7-8, 14 & 16)

Last edited:
Been A huge Tyson hater but his composure and then vision for the Salem goal from 50 was brilliant. Moments like that give you hope he could still have some value.

He has a good two weeks playing more inside mid, got his confidence up and he started to look better on the outside as well. Laced out hogan in the 3rd with a brilliant kick to space

Been A huge Tyson hater but his composure and then vision for the Salem goal from 50 was brilliant. Moments like that give you hope he could still have some value.
I reckon he's been pretty good the last few weeks in general. Still the odd horrendous kick, but there has been much less, and he seems to have realised he doesn't have anywhere near as much time with the ball as he thought.

I reckon he's been pretty good the last few weeks in general. Still the odd horrendous kick, but there has been much less, and he seems to have realised he doesn't have anywhere near as much time with the ball as he thought.
He's got great value, just not as big of a centrepiece that he was when we had no midfield. No we have guns, he's just there.

FB: Jetta, O.McDonald, Lever
HB: Hibberd, Frost, Hunt
C: Salem, Jones, Fritsch
HF: Petracca, Hogan, Melksham
FF: Garlett, T.McDonald, Spargo
R: Gawn, Oliver, Brayshaw
IC: Viney, Tyson, Harmes, Lewis
E: ANB, Pedersen, Kent, vandenBerg

If everyone was fit and firing, this would be my 22 for next week. Thoughts? Borderline on the four bench spots, with ANB very unlucky given he's played every game.

If everyone was fit and firing, this would be my 22 for next week. Thoughts? Borderline on the four bench spots, with ANB very unlucky given he's played every game.

Absolutely no way ANB misses for mine. ANB on the wing. Salem back. Hunt emergency.

ANB has to be in the team, Spargo out for him for mine.

Absolutely no way ANB misses for mine. ANB on the wing. Salem back. Hunt emergency.
I think that Hunt is more valuable if everyone is fit and in form, only because our lack of run concerns me against high pressure teams that mark up well and gobble up our ball use in the corridor, forcing us wide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that Hunt is more valuable if everyone is fit and in form, only because our lack of run concerns me against high pressure teams that mark up well and gobble up our ball use in the corridor, forcing us wide.

ANB is a better footballer than Hunt and one of our best at linking attacks that start deep in defence with his work rate.

I'd drop Tyson before ANB. If Hunt must play he goes back and Salem goes into the midfield

I agree. If Hunt gets back to the kind of form he was last year he needs to come in. I'd have Spargo out before ANB in that case. Spargo is a goer but not as accomplished as ANB yet.

Dom is so much better in the middle rather than on a wing. His long handball out to Salem on the 50 was a highlight of mine as well as his kick to Hogan. He almost turned it over a few times in the middle but thats because he was doing everything he could not to kick it, which in his case i am usually happy with.

Oliver resting forward is allowing Tyson more time in the middle, so he should be thanking him. Crazy that our best mid can also give us that option, at the start of the year i thought he must always start at the bounces.

Listen no one will have the exact same sides but Tyson over ANB with Viney back is bizarre.

Also, without reading all of this thread because I can't be stuffed, how good was Salem! I loved him. He's a gun. If he can do this consistently and I guess against teams with a bit more going for them then the Suns, then that's massive.

Also, without reading all of this thread because I can't be stuffed, how good was Salem! I loved him. He's a gun. If he can do this consistently and I guess against teams with a bit more going for them then the Suns, then that's massive.

I still think naturally he needs to play further up the ground. This idea that he's a beautiful kick from the back half so he should play backline doesn't wash with me. He's a competitor and a natural footballer and he always looks comfortable around the goals. He's always forgotten when people talk about our young talent but I think eventually he moves onto a wing and becomes a very good player.

I don't mind it.

Though if we are going with fantasy Melbourne 22 then I would have:

FB: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver
HB: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver
C: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver
HF: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver
FF: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver
R: Gawn, Oliver, Oliver
IC: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, Oliver,
E: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver, OMac

I've been too lazy to do a GBU post, but he would be near the top of it. He's playing with a lot of confidence at the moment, and has a real competitive, physical mindset as well. 26 disposals at 92.3% with 19 kicks is very handy, was the 3rd best player of the round by the AFL Player Ratings behind Josh Kelly and Buddy.

I don't mind it.

Though if we are going with fantasy Melbourne 22 then I would have:

FF: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver
It's a good team, but lacks balance.

FF: Oliver, Tmac, Oliver.

OMac lacks urgency for mine. Not soft, just lackadaisical. It shits me!

Also what has happened to TMac the deadeye? He was always going to fall back eventually but I wouldn't have him kicking for my life. Hogan at the moment.

Oliver was just taking the piss in that first quarter like an 18 year old playing in the under 10s.

This has come to mind a few times watching him and i ******* love it. The bloke trolls AFL footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back