Review Dees v Sydney: the Good, Bad and Cosmically Indifferent.

What an awful, awful game to watch. Laughably bad skills, zero effort from most players.

While I think we may be able to rebound next year with the talent on the list, I'm not sold we'll make finals. I see us returning to the late Bailey era of flogging crap sides because we are talented, but turning to slop under pressure from good teams. Standard Melbourne, really.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Makes sense. I think Brayshaw will bounce back.
The whole team needs to bounce back. I'm starting to have doubts about Brayshaw, I'm starting to feel the players around him were making him look better because the team was playing better as a whole. I think his poor skills have been hidden because the team were in great form last year. This year he's been badly exposed. But ok I'll forgive that sometimes theres not much you can do with that but his lack of hunger is what is most disappointing. He makes weak efforts at tackling he just doesn't look like he hunts the ball or is desperate enough to win it back which is his best asset. Shouldn't need a poor season to bounce back.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Chandler had as many tackles lastnight asJones hashadsince round 11 dont give a * what role Jones or Chandler are doing but thats ******* pathetic

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Dunkley ANB and Chandler were our hardest workers against Sydney. Shows how disgraceful the work rate was when debutants can out run seasoned professionals
Its a ******* joke in second quarter i seen like 6 dees in the picture all flat footed doing * all just b4 it got kicked 15m to ANB who also wasnt moving who ****ed the kick at goal. * me players should always be on the move. Doesnt matter who we add if the standard is this ******* low with work rate. Its like all the players get to the ball then think the jobs done just stand around playing hot potato then dump kick the campaigner. Oliver is so good at hitting players with the handball but he looks so much shitter this year because the players around him arent moving to exit the contest just standing still and get tackled. So im losing my s**t at Oliver going just kick the campaigner when if he had team mates moving to dangerous spots he'd look like a genius. We need outside players for oliver to hit as he cops the heat releasing them

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Dunkley ANB and Chandler were our hardest workers against Sydney. Shows how disgraceful the work rate was when debutants can out run seasoned professionals

This is what you really hate to see, and it’s why they just have to suck it up and eat the rest of Goodys contract.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It’s pathetic. The player was not named but Dermot Brereton said that he observed one of our players effectively rotate himself off when the ball was on the wing to cover the fact that they didn’t want to chase. They’ve given up.

I’m scathing on Goodwin and it’s impossible to definitively know what is going on behind closed doors. However, where is the players’ self-pride? They are professional footballers who get paid more money in one year than a lot of us would earn in 5-10 and they’re not trying.

With seldom few exceptions, this group of players disgust me.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
It’s pathetic. The player was not named but Dermot Brereton said that he observed one of our players effectively rotate himself off when the ball was on the wing to cover the fact that they didn’t want to chase. They’ve given up.

I’m scathing on Goodwin and it’s impossible to definitively know what is going on behind closed doors. However, where is the players’ self-pride? They are professional footballers who get paid more money in one year than a lot of us would earn in 5-10 and they’re not trying.

With seldom few exceptions, this group of players disgust me.
I watched a passage where the ball went from a stoppage to the wing and then spread around and Brayshaw just walked a small channel in the centre square without an opponent. No doubt I notice his laziness more than others but it shits me still

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
To me either Goodwin has listened to his assistant coaches and we have this mess , or he has ignored them and we have this mess. He says he has learnt a lot this season yet appears to be making the same decisions over and over again . Bringing players back when clearly underdone springs to mind , dropping some players after a game or 2 but letting others stay in the team when they clearly should be dropped . His last press conference after the game tells me he is rattled , on radio when asked what has gone wrong he apparently avoided answering the question but instead waffled on about him taking responsibility . Nothing but mission statements. In truth i don't see Goodwin being able to fire up a BBQ , let alone a football team .

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Everytime I hear goody he sounds like he's reading from a pre prepared list of statements some media person taught him. It doesn't feel genuine at all. Pre and post match was all about the 'learnings' it's the most uninspiring crap ever

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
To me either Goodwin has listened to his assistant coaches and we have this mess , or he has ignored them and we have this mess. He says he has learnt a lot this season yet appears to be making the same decisions over and over again . Bringing players back when clearly underdone springs to mind , dropping some players after a game or 2 but letting others stay in the team when they clearly should be dropped . His last press conference after the game tells me he is rattled , on radio when asked what has gone wrong he apparently avoided answering the question but instead waffled on about him taking responsibility . Nothing but mission statements. In truth i don't see Goodwin being able to fire up a BBQ , let alone a football team .
From the outside it looks a lot like a coach who has lost the team, there was talk of this before 2018 with the stupid camp, the blokes won 47% of his games the list is more talented than that he just comes across as a bloke completely out of his depth

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's got to stage now where I can no longer blame Goodwin, sure, he and medical staff set our season on course for disaster but at what point does the players self pride kick in? Our senior players and so called "stars" are a genuine disgrace. Anyone who thinks this just turn around next year has their head up their arse.

Is there a leader amongst the whole group? how you can have 42 players on a list without 1 leader? Impossible! Nah mate, it can happen at Melbourne. Let's roll with Nathan Jones and Jack Viney as captain's again next year? Lol...Max Gawn? Yea Nah.... TMac or Steven May? GTFO.

Brayshaw, Oliver and Petracca all showed at various points this year how immature and selfish they are. And they have got away with it without facing any consequences or criticism for the most part. Ridiculous.

How sad is it that I genuinely think Melksham is our best leader.

This club needs a head to toe review by an outsider. Wouldn't trust the MFC to do an internal review at all. Just a bunch of blokes covering their own arses with the token firing/resignation here or there to shift focus.

Kyle Dunkley genuinely the only positive to come out of this season. Apart from him, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. What an irrelevant embarrassment you've become in 12 months.

It's got to stage now where I can no longer blame Goodwin, sure, he and medical staff set our season on course for disaster but at what point does the players self pride kick in? Our senior and so called "stars" are a genuine disgrace. Anyone who thinks this just turn around next year has their head up their arse.

Is there a leader amongst the whole group? how you can have 42 players on a list without 1 leader? Impossible! Nah mate, it can happen at Melbourne. Let's roll with Nathan Jones and Jack Viney as captain's again next year? Lol...Max Gawn? Yea Nah.... TMac or Steven May? GTFO.

Brayshaw, Oliver and Petracca all showed at various points this year how immature and selfish they are. And they have got away with it without facing any consequences or criticism for the most part. Ridiculous.

How sad is it that I genuinely think Melksham is our best leader.

This club needs a head to toe review by an outsider. Wouldn't trust the MFC to do an internal review at all. Just a bunch of blokes covering their own arses with the token firing/resignation here or there to shift focus.

Kyle Dunkley genuinely the only positive to come out of this season. Apart from him, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. What an irrelevant embarrassment you've become in 12 months.
Gawny has been really good tbf

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's not a leader tho mate. That's all I meant by it.

He's very tall though, and in most organisations that equates to just about the same thing. Follow the tall person.

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Everytime I hear goody he sounds like he's reading from a pre prepared list of statements some media person taught him. It doesn't feel genuine at all. Pre and post match was all about the 'learnings' it's the most uninspiring crap ever
“Fitter, happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
Regular exercise at the gym, three days a week
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
At ease
Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats
A patient, better driver
A safer car, baby smiling in back seat
Sleeping well, no bad dreams
No paranoia
Careful to all animals, never washing spiders down the plughole
Keep in contact with old friends, enjoy a drink now and then
Will frequently check credit at moral bank, hole in wall
Favours for favours, fond but not in love
Charity standing orders on sundays, ring-road supermarket
No killing moths or putting boiling water on the ants
Car wash, also on sundays
No longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows, nothing so ridiculously teenage and desperate
Nothing so childish
At a better pace, slower and more calculated
No chance of escape
Now self-employed
Concerned, but powerless
An empowered and informed member of societ, pragmatism not idealism
Will not cry in public
Less chance of illness
Tires that grip in the wet, shot of baby strapped in backseat
A good memory
Still cries at a good film
Still kisses with saliva
No longer empty and frantic
Like a cat
Tied to a stick
That's driven into
Frozen winter s**t, the ability to laugh at weakness
Calm, fitter, healthier and more productive
A pig in a cage on antibiotics.”

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
“Fitter, happier
More productive
Comfortable
Not drinking too much
Regular exercise at the gym, three days a week
Getting on better with your associate employee contemporaries
At ease
Eating well, no more microwave dinners and saturated fats
A patient, better driver
A safer car, baby smiling in back seat
Sleeping well, no bad dreams
No paranoia
Careful to all animals, never washing spiders down the plughole
Keep in contact with old friends, enjoy a drink now and then
Will frequently check credit at moral bank, hole in wall
Favours for favours, fond but not in love
Charity standing orders on sundays, ring-road supermarket
No killing moths or putting boiling water on the ants
Car wash, also on sundays
No longer afraid of the dark or midday shadows, nothing so ridiculously teenage and desperate
Nothing so childish
At a better pace, slower and more calculated
No chance of escape
Now self-employed
Concerned, but powerless
An empowered and informed member of societ, pragmatism not idealism
Will not cry in public
Less chance of illness
Tires that grip in the wet, shot of baby strapped in backseat
A good memory
Still cries at a good film
Still kisses with saliva