saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I feel like a prick, but I was having a read on the suns board and there is a bit of salt on there about the umpiring and they should have won. 16 free each. The suns defend well and counter attacked well but;

Melbourne;
+ 50 disposals
+15 contested possession
+ 50 Uncontested possessions
+15 clearneces
+ 38 tackles (+20 inside 50)
+24 inside 50s
21 Scoring shots vs 15

You are lucky to be in the game with those numbers

Bazza97

Premiership Player
Nov 17, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I feel like a prick, but I was having a read on the suns board and there is a bit of salt on there about the umpiring and they should have won. 16 free each. The suns defend well and counter attacked well but;

Melbourne;
+ 50 disposals
+15 contested possession
+ 50 Uncontested possessions
+15 clearneces
+ 38 tackles (+20 inside 50)
+24 inside 50s
21 Scoring shots vs 15

You are lucky to be in the game with those numbers
Yeah I felt we were the better team in most facets of the game which is what got us in the position to get the win. Complaining about the umpiring as if it had a big say in the result is a cop out. Really we should have won comfortably but in the end, the game happened to be decided literally in the last few seconds and we managed to pinch it. It was overall a frustrating game but we ultimately deserved the win IMO.

Darhkuan

Senior List
Oct 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The good:
Another win!
Hore is really coming along, some much needed composure in the backline, totally different player to his first game.
Frost - again some really solid 1% and decision making, lowered his eyes and found a few targets as well
Olive beginning to really get going again, just needs some others in the mid to join him
Viney wasnt a massive let down, thought he had come back a week early but was fine.

The bad:
OMac wasnt disastrous but really didnt have a huge impact
Stretch still isnt feeling it at this level
Keilty looks like he needs some more time in the 2's especially if preuss is fit

The fugly:
Our f50 entries. Holy s**t. Nuff said about it, now do something about it.
Still too easy to score against straight down the middle, we get MURDERED on opposition transition football.
Injuries. Jesus. Omac copped a hit late so hopefully he pulls up fine, otherwise out of our "back 7" we have hore and frost looking likely for next week. 5 of our top 7 backs out is just disastrous.

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Can't understand the love for Frost. Yeah he always tries hard, but the good doesn't always outweigh the bad... That handball with 1:30 to go almost cost us the game.

That said stocks are pretty thin back there and only seem to be getting thinner. Plus I have no faith in Oscar either. So I'm sure he'll keep getting opportunities in the hope he might stop playing like a headless chook one day.

My non-Melbourne supporting friends look at me funny when I say this club is slowly killing me.

They don't understand. They'll never understand.

I hate to nominate one player but Brayshaw was garbage tonight, no intensity at the ball, goes one handed (not soft but playing Hollywood football) dump kicks and panic handballs

I thought that last week, and it was much more of the same tonight. The garbage disposal is one thing, but the lack of intensity is altogether worse. A couple of really poor missed tackles tonight, along with a couple of rather dubious chasing attempts. Not good.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Eww......

Disgusting game, Id have rather we lost.
Nothing to be happy about in that game and the wins a win attitude is dumb. Assess the performance not the result, you cant ignore the crap show because we got lucky at the end, the 99% of the game before the point was pox ridden.
Same crap every week but against different opposition, wasted inside 50s from composure less mids happy to stat pad. A forward line without functioning keys and with bloody average crumbers.

Hibberd, Melksham and Lewis all look certain to miss weeks and we had 6 men in the VFL last week. Rough

Oscar Mcdonald is a waste of a man on the ground another 8 disposal game and 0 contested marks 0 intercept marks, 3 for the season
Billy Stretch should enjoy it while it lasts, hes a nothing AFL player.
Declan Keilty wont play much more AFL footy
Jordan Lewis hopefully never plays again
Jack Viney shouldnt have played, didnt need him and he was useless.
Olivers 38 disposals were some of the most useless wasteful disposals you are ever likely to see, almost picks the wrong option everytime at the moment.
Brayshaw and Fritsch are lazy as * without the ball

May 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Eww......

Disgusting game, Id have rather we lost.
Nothing to be happy about in that game and the wins a win attitude is dumb. Assess the performance not the result, you cant ignore the crap show because we got lucky at the end, the 99% of the game before the point was pox ridden.
Same crap every week but against different opposition, wasted inside 50s from composure less mids happy to stat pad. A forward line without functioning keys and with bloody average crumbers.
Meh. Just take the win. We haven't learnt anything in the past two seasons so I don't think another loss would teach us anything that we don't already know.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Losses force change, wins reinforce mistakes

I’m sure as a more astute observer of the game you’ve already concluded that this season is over. As I’m not quite there yet, I’ll take the W and hold out some hope that there’s still time for us to get our act together and make a run at finals- as unlikely as that appears even from here.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’m sure as a more astute observer of the game you’ve already concluded that this season is over. As I’m not quite there yet, I’ll take the W and hold out some hope that there’s still time for us to get our act together and make a run at finals- as unlikely as that appears even from here.

We have beaten Sydney and GC who will finish bottom 4 at this rate and Hawthorn who won't make finals.

We lose to WC next week and then we are 3-6 and would need to win 9 of the last 13. Not only that but our percentage is an extra loss so we would to win 10 of the last 13 probably

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
We have beaten Sydney and GC who will finish bottom 4 at this rate and Hawthorn who won't make finals.

We lose to WC next week and then we are 3-6 and would need to win 9 of the last 13. Not only that but our percentage is an extra loss so we would to win 10 of the last 13 probably

I get it. But we haven’t lost to WC yet, so the chance remains that we exit that game 4-5.

No matter how unlikely a win is next week I’m just not going to throw dirt on them at 3-5 with 14 left to play, even admitting how bad we have been thus far.

I guess ignorance is bliss.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I get it. But we haven’t lost to WC yet, so the chance remains that we exit that game 4-5.

No matter how unlikely a win is next week I’m just not going to throw dirt on them at 3-5 with 14 left to play, even admitting how bad we have been thus far.

I guess ignorance is bliss.

3-5 isn't the important part.
It's that we are comfortably the worst side in the AFL at scoring from inside 50s statistically.

WC have the best intercept markers

Plus we will also lose Hibberd and potentially Melksham and Lewis and we have no one left in the reserves.

You can enjoy the what if if you would like but that was won of the worst wins in years. It's very unlikely we magically fix our season at the hardest place to win in the AFL.

Oct 11, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ugly:
Percentage.
Injuries.
Getting nowhere near 100pts again despite no real injuries to 'best 22' forwards.
The next 4 weeks - WC away, giants, Adelaide, Collingwood...

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!

Just enjoy footy life for once, please :p

Back