Review Dees v the Aureus Coast: the Good, the Bad & the Fugly

Jaras1

Senior List
May 8, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Eww......

Disgusting game, Id have rather we lost.
Nothing to be happy about in that game and the wins a win attitude is dumb....

I actually think your attitude is dumb. They won just about every stat and in the end they won the most important stat on the scoreboard.

Was it ugly football? Yes. Will we make finals playing like that? No. Do we happily take the 4 points and have another go on the training track and go again next week? Yes.

Do I ask another question? No.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I'll enjoy it when Melbourne aren't terrible.

I hear you, but you also didn’t enjoy the 90 point thrashings last year.

I look forward to the time we are just a solid reliable team. That turns up and gets the job done without the heart ache/panic.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I hear you, but you also didn’t enjoy the 90 point thrashings last year.

I look forward to the time we are just a solid reliable team. That turns up and gets the job done without the heart ache/panic.

I didn't enjoy the thrashings against bottom teams except Carlton. I wanted to see us test ourselves against the best more often.

This 'win' will be completely forgotten in a week when we inevitably lose by 10 goals to the eagles and everyone will return to the woe is me.

We literally played 4 quarters of the exact same rubbish unable to change it at all. Had the 6 rule not come in we would have lost.

I didn't enjoy the thrashings against bottom teams except Carlton. I wanted to see us test ourselves against the best more often.

This 'win' will be completely forgotten in a week when we inevitably lose by 10 goals to the eagles and everyone will return to the woe is me.

We literally played 4 quarters of the exact same rubbish unable to change it at all. Had the 6 rule not come in we would have lost.
On that last point if you're of the belief that the new rules have had a significant impact on our performances then without 6-6-6 maybe we win by 8 goals.

Anyway, thought we played okay in the midfield aside from our forward 50 entries.

Biggest worry is our depth. Outside of Marty Hore we've had nothing decent coming through. Keilty, Lockhart, both Wagner's are all ordinary. Garlett is cooked, Omac sucks, Tmac still moving like a glacier. Preuss would be a good inclusion but knowing us we'll probably bring in Tim Smith.

Our ball movement was a huge improvement on the first few weeks of the year, but our inability to convert our dominance remained. The Suns were exceptional at taking most chances they got. Worth mentioning that we were down to 2 rotations most of the game, and down to 1 for much of the last quarter. The one thing I'll take out of that game is that TMac is taking marks again.

Lockhart isn't ordinary though
Yep, terribly unfair comment. Has played about five games, but he's absolutely everywhere. Probably not going to be a world beater, but he and Stretch are actually running outside the contest and running both ways.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
On that last point if you're of the belief that the new rules have had a significant impact on our performances then without 6-6-6 maybe we win by 8 goals.

Anyway, thought we played okay in the midfield aside from our forward 50 entries.

Biggest worry is our depth. Outside of Marty Hore we've had nothing decent coming through. Keilty, Lockhart, both Wagner's are all ordinary. Garlett is cooked, Omac sucks, Tmac still moving like a glacier. Preuss would be a good inclusion but knowing us we'll probably bring in Tim Smith.

I think our midfield is a huge concern. Oliver is playing rubbish but his stats mean no one is noticing, Brayshaw is playing lazy and Viney just isn't a very good footballer. Somehow we have no midfield depth despite some thinking we were the best midfield in the game (ludicrous)

Oliver: 38 disposals, 15 tackles, 8 inside 50s, 5 marks, 9 clearances

Topkent I agree that stats don't tell the full picture, but if you genuinely believe that was an average game, let alone 'rubbish', you need to adjust your specs.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Our ball movement was a huge improvement on the first few weeks of the year, but our inability to convert our dominance remained. The Suns were exceptional at taking most chances they got. Worth mentioning that we were down to 2 rotations most of the game, and down to 1 for much of the last quarter. The one thing I'll take out of that game is that TMac is taking marks again.

How do you think our ball movement was a huge improvement? Our inside 50s were diabolical

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Oliver: 38 disposals, 15 tackles, 8 inside 50s, 5 marks, 9 clearances

Topkent I agree that stats don't tell the full picture, but if you genuinely believe that was an average game, let alone 'rubbish', you need to adjust your specs.

His disposals are the worst of his career at the moment. He's panicked, he is making terrible decisions with the ball and isn't effective. Hasnt kicked a single goal this year either.
Burned us with terrible advantages twice aswell.

I've seen the best of Oliver last year, he isn't close to that this year.

How do you think our ball movement was a huge improvement? Our inside 50s were diabolical
We moved well from coast to coast, but as I said we burned our I50s.

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Great to get the win. Three areas for instant improvement.
1. On entering forward 50 try to pass to an opposition player - much better chance of a Dee marking it.
2. Whenever the ball goes anywhere into their forward line, we kick a behind for them, this is better than the inevitable goal.
3. Any passes to Trac must only be when he is beyond 45m

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bit rich people saying just be happy with the four points. It was a diabolical game to watch and we would have been lucky to tie it, let alone win it. If you're only interested in the points, why not just check the results after the game and work out whether you're happy / raging? Obviously the game itself doesn't matter...

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ll happily take the 4 points but it was possibly the worst game of footy I’ve ever seen.

Looked like 2 average VFL sides out there.

Our foot skills were deplorable all over the ground and we fumbled quite a lot as well.

West Coast are going to destroy us.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Oliver’s 38 possession game was average for someone getting 38 touches. He has a concentration span of 0.3 of a second. But I liked he had 15 tackles.

Our ball movement from back half to forward half was good, anything inside 70m was atrocious.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
If we play like that next week ir could be 2007 all over again.

I hope we do, then. I've got some things I'd do differently, given the benefit of hindsight.

Does anyone have to run 88 miles per hour near an electrical storm? If so, I nominate Milkshakes.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'll take the win but I'm already worried about next week. Book in McGovern to have 60 disposals and won't their forward line have a day out. I thought they fixed the problem where teams score so easily against us, they didn't we were lucky gold coast were just incompetent. They still scored 4 goals from 6 entries or something like that in the last quarter. Our game plan relies heavily on our ability to score, yet we are the worse team at converting our inside 50s into goals. Credit to the gold coast they did defend really well, laid some crucial tackles when needed. Maybe it's just a few moments I noticed but Brayshaw was ordinary imo. One was when he just tapped the ball straight to the gold coast player for a goal. The other was his laziness costed an easy goal. Firstly he didn't go at the ball when it was there to be won and secondly he didn't even look like laying a tackle or even any pressure at all, the gold coast player just walzed into the goal square for an easy goal. I'm sure he missed a lot of handballs too.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Melbourne I50 this year = 409
Melbourne goals this year = 81

Every time a ball goes into 50 we have a 19% chance of kicking a goal. 81% of the time it’s a point, no score, or a defensive exit.

Basically we have no issues GETTING it forward, but, we have the following to address;

1. Delivery in terms of efficiency
2. Forward pressure
3. Forward set up

I am solely convinced this is the issue our backline is getting a hammering. With fast movement out, our defence is copping the heat. I am also going to get behind Frost here, I think he has been really good considering these stats.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Melbourne I50 this year = 409
Melbourne goals this year = 81

Every time a ball goes into 50 we have a 19% chance of kicking a goal. 81% of the time it’s a point, no score, or a defensive exit.

Basically we have no issues GETTING it forward, but, we have the following to address;

1. Delivery in terms of efficiency
2. Forward pressure
3. Forward set up

I am solely convinced this is the issue our backline is getting a hammering. With fast movement out, our defence is copping the heat. I am also going to get behind Frost here, I think he has been really good considering these stats.

Fox footy showed a stat saying we only manage a score from 33% of our entries. The next worse was the dogs with 37%

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
The Good
Liked the game from Frost.
Liked the game from Lockhart.
Tom McDonald, Melksham, Salem, Hore and Petracca I felt put in solid performances. I did not really watch Oscar play but I felt Peter Wright had little impact on the game and he seemed to be running with him a bit.

The Bad
Garlett is so out of form at this point in his career.
Brayshaw. Maybe all the concussions have dented his play style (which is fair enough). But his awareness and general play is not AFL standard.
Lewis well it looks like the three year contract might have been 1 year too long.
Stretch. Just disappears he needs to have more impact but I don't know if he has another gear.

The Fugly
The lack of skills (basic) from so many players. And they need to bring in a team rule that if you have time go to a one on one low and fast in the F50.

At the end of the day it was a win. I certainly hope just getting a win does not translate "into a bad day at the office we will be right next week". I doubt they (coaches) think like that.

Back