Review Dees v the Bloods - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we call Brayshaw a draft bust?
He's complete sh*t, but the 2014 first round might be the worst ever.
McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw, Pickett, De Goey, Marchbank, Ahern, Wright, Moore (F/S), Cockatoo was the top 10. 7 still playing, wright, cocky, Marchbank, Brayshaw all sh*t. De goey is good at times, Moore is a gun and Tracc is a superstar. So really, I'd say recruiters were only looking at the top ten for pick 3. Meaning we really only missed out on De Goey.
De Goey is a total f***head though, so I'm not to upset about missing out on him.

But yeah, it's a pretty poor draft overall.

De Goey is a total f***head though, so I'm not to upset about missing out on him.

But yeah, it's a pretty poor draft overall.
Not really, just the top 10 are shite. Jack Steele, Langdon, Lever, heck even ANB has ended up better than most of them.
But there aren’t many drafts where 5 of the top 10 are virtually cooked before the end of year 7...

Brayshaw bringing nothing to the wing. Made more errors than Baker did the week before. At least Baker is still young & can hopefully improve. Compared to Gus he's Stephen Tingay.

Not really, just the top 10 are sh*te. Jack Steele, Langdon, Lever, heck even ANB has ended up better than most of them.
But there aren’t many drafts where 5 of the top 10 are virtually cooked before the end of year 7...
Nobody would've considered any at pick 3 anyways. Weird draft.

If he played for us you'd love him so stop it, does every opposition player who is fiery have to be bland to not offend you?
It doesn't offend me that he is a flog and a campaigner, just facts. Yes every opposition player is a flog and a campaigner. Ben Brown was a flog and a campaigner, but now he is awesome. That is the way it is. They are enemy. You are right he is talented and I would love him if he played for us.

Not really, just the top 10 are sh*te. Jack Steele, Langdon, Lever, heck even ANB has ended up better than most of them.
2013 was similar: Boyd, KK, Scharenberg and Freeman all gone. Aish has become a journeyman. Injury was mostly to blame for those failures though, rather than poor selections per se.

Biggest positive out of last night is the proof that we are now a team full of genuine ‘senior footballers’ rather than kids with promise. The kids we do have can all hold their own physically (and in time will all be powerful units). It’s a pleasure to watch the likes of Spargo become a really powerful tackler, Neal-Bullen can stick his tackles now, and pretty much everyone in the team can be trusted to bodyline the ball and stop the momentum of the opposition when it’s their turn.

Noticeable moments where some of our poorer players on the night like Brayshaw and Hunt had big one on one wins and turned the ball over. As much as I complain about it you can sort of see why our style lends itself better to having Brayshaw, Melksham, ANB, Jones instead of Chandler/Baker/Bowey.

Havinng said that I still think Melksham should go, would prefer almost anyone else.

Hunts form has fallen away badly the past few weeks, don't know if he's being asking to do more defensively and stay closer to home but we are missing his link up through the middle.

Not a drop yet, but he needs to lift and start playing with a bit more dare if possible.

Loads of players down on form at the moment, but that’s really exciting imo. you never know who is gonna stand up and play a blinder!

Big Benny obviously needs a little more match fitness but he was huge in the first two quarters. Kicked half our goals. Nice having a forward who can clunk marks like that.

Felt like we were closer to blowing them apart than them winning the game, hopefully we save our best game for the GF if we keep winning playing like dogshit

Felt like we were closer to blowing them apart than them winning the game, hopefully we save our best game for the GF if we keep winning playing like dogshit

Interesting. I never once felt comfortable. Kudos to the Swans, they fought tooth and nail. I expect they’re going to win a lot of game this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We were lucky to get away with that, it goes down as a win but I wouldn't walk away pumped with what the team produced especially a few individuals.
Agreed. Some might call this a ‘mature’ win that shows we’ve come of age as a team but I’d say the last two weeks were more fortunate wins. Against the Roos we just had the ability to run out the game. Last night neither team took their chances. The swans had all the momentum in the 4th and had they managed to get in front I think they get the win. I think a ’mature’ win would have seen us use the control early in the 3rd to secure a winning lead, not give it up in the last 7 minutes of the quarter.

The game had a real finals like pressure at times so I’ll take that as a positive, we got the win despite not having momentum Late in the game.

Last edited:
Ugly: franklin.

He does this weird thing where if there's a tiny bit of a pull in a marking contest he literally flings himself backwards into his man arms outstretched begging for a free. Fortunately the umpires seem to be aware of it but it he was almost falling backwards over may sometimes instead of getting the ball.

Agreed. Some might call this a ‘mature’ win that shows we’ve come of age as a team but I’d say the last two weeks were more fortunate wins. Against the Roos we just had the ability to run out the game. Last night neither team took their chances. The swans had all the momentum in the 4th and had they managed to get in front I think they get the win. I think a ’mature’ win would have seems us use the control early in the 3rd to secure a winning lead, not give it up in the last 7 minutes of the quarter.

The game had a real finals like pressure at times so I’ll take that as a positive, we got the win despite not having momentum Late in the game.

Completely agree, it was def a finals type game and it showed that our pressure can hold up in that environment. Our skills didn't though and if not for Mcdonald turning into pre knee Ox we lose that game.

We got lucky that the swans didn't know how to capitalise late and blazed away. Easy to say cause ill inevitably be right but feels like a loss is around the corner.

Hunts form has fallen away badly the past few weeks, don't know if he's being asking to do more defensively and stay closer to home but we are missing his link up through the middle.

Not a drop yet, but he needs to lift and start playing with a bit more dare if possible.

Definitely agree about Hunt’s form. Suppose my thinking at the moment is that every team has to have a bottom four players and it’s not a bad strategy for your bottom 4 to be decent players out of form like Brayshaw, Hunt, Harmes etc than have a handful of kids or VFL players who aren’t quite up to it who might let you down in a key contest.

Not that that’s a leave pass for ongoing terrible form but I don’t mind it while we’re winning.

Chandler for Melksham would have to be a very good chance of improving the team though if Chandler shows anything at all.

Not going to buy into the Brayshaw hate, he is the personification of Goodies Melgorithm’ Adj: Game plan + brand x incredible effort = Learnings

He does everything he is asked in a position he’s not suited to and his effort is unquestionable. Perhaps rewatch a few of the contests on our forward flank when the ball was rebounded straight out, hard at the man and the ball and at least halves the contests.

I am by no means his champion, but he’s got whipping buy status at the moment which creates a pile on.

Harmes as an example has been lauded by some. Yes, first game back but he was a liability in the first half. Went straight back into his ‘I’m Dusty’ mindset and tried to do everything and cost us big time. Then gets lauded for his 2nd half which was at best serviceable.

while I’m at it, Trac, 3 x htb is unacceptable, although I do think the umpires went early adjudicating the rule last night.

He ain’t as bad as some are making out.

Not going to buy into the Brayshaw hate, he is the personification of Goodies Melgorithm’ Adj: Game plan + brand x incredible effort = Learnings

He does everything he is asked in a position he’s not suited to and his effort is unquestionable. Perhaps rewatch a few of the contests on our forward flank when the ball was rebounded straight out, hard at the man and the ball and at least halves the contests.

I am by no means his champion, but he’s got whipping buy status at the moment which creates a pile on.

Harmes as an example has been lauded by some. Yes, first game back but he was a liability in the first half. Went straight back into his ‘I’m Dusty’ mindset and tried to do everything and cost us big time. Then gets lauded for his 2nd half which was at best serviceable.

while I’m at it, Trac, 3 x htb is unacceptable, although I do think the umpires went early adjudicating the rule last night.

harmes was shitloads better than Gus. Shitloads

None of our players are as bad as we think. If they were we would be 7-1, 6-2, 5-3, 4-4, 3-5, 2-6, 1-7 or 0-8.

None of our players are as bad as we think. If they were we would be 7-1, 6-2, 5-3, 4-4, 3-5, 2-6, 1-7 or 0-8.
I’d go 1-7, the only two (kozzie and goat) who can do no wrong would get us a win.

Hopefully some of the naysayers can already see how useful Brown is. Can’t believe how everyone lost their shot because of a week of bad forward entries in his first game back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back