Review Dees v the Bloods - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 8 2021

Brayshaw bringing nothing to the wing. Made more errors than Baker did the week before. At least Baker is still young & can hopefully improve. Compared to Gus he's Stephen Tingay.
Lol. Baker was dreadful but had a decent last quarter. Brayshaw was terrible yesterday but you need to recognise the individual standards you set.

Hopefully some of the naysayers can already see how useful Brown is. Can’t believe how everyone lost their shot because of a week of bad forward entries in his first game back.

Oct 9, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hopefully some of the naysayers can already see how useful Brown is. Can’t believe how everyone lost their shot because of a week of bad forward entries in his first game back.

People could not see the value of getting Jackson AND people could not see the potential of Pickett last season. People are going to People.

I have been a critic of Brayshaw in previous years, but I think he is playing a super defensive role this year. So he will not stand out as much. AND had an absolute nightmare of a game. I remember Oliver having a full four quarters of a game of mistake after mistake last year, so it happens. For myself I would only be concerned if this became a pattern. Which I don't think it is.

Hickey at his current form level, to me, is what peak Jackson will be but a little better hehe. That was my takeaway from the game.

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne

Hold up a little bit. It’s not like Weideman has never kicked 3 goals in a game before. He’s sitting in the 2s because we got Brown.

Also don’t think anybody could argue that our forward line has been at its most effective the last 2 weeks. Last night understandable because of weather but it’s hardly a proven combination yet. Brown kicked hundreds of goals for North but they never had a balanced forward line while he was there.

Nobody has said Brown isn’t a good goal kicker, but the jury remains well and truly out on what we’ve gained.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Brown is hilarious. I am really, really getting behind his 3k run up. I used to find it utterly weird but now it’s OUR utterly weird and I love it.

Sydney supporters are a bunch that I quite like I think. Or maybe I just got lucky with the people sitting around me. Lots of yelling and cheering and sledging, but none of the mental case, umpire bitching throughout that you sometimes get. Plus they were being driven mad by BBB run up, which was funny, and one guy lost it utterly and was screaming “kick it to Buddy “ in a weird falsetto literally every time they had the ball, which was funny to start but quickly became entirely hilarious. I came in quite flat but really got into it. I even would have coped with a loss - just had a good time.

Can we call Brayshaw a draft bust?
He's complete sh*t, but the 2014 first round might be the worst ever.
McCartin, Petracca, Brayshaw, Pickett, De Goey, Marchbank, Ahern, Wright, Moore (F/S), Cockatoo was the top 10. 7 still playing, wright, cocky, Marchbank, Brayshaw all sh*t. De goey is good at times, Moore is a gun and Tracc is a superstar. So really, I'd say recruiters were only looking at the top ten for pick 3. Meaning we really only missed out on De Goey.

I'd much rather Brayshaw than De Goey, you call Brayshaw a nothing player but De Goey is nothing AND lazy.

harmes was shitloads better than Gus. Shitloads
Harmes had 21 contested possessions. That's incredible, dare say that it might be his pb.

De Goey kicked 3 of the better GF goals you'll ever see. Fallen away not but done more than Gus has ever done.

Not by any real measurable.

Gus finished 3rd in the Brownlow, I know you've questioned that but you've got different revisionist approaches for De Goey & Gus here.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Strange take, we've probably played our two worst games since he's come back in.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not by any real measurable.

Gus finished 3rd in the Brownlow, I know you've questioned that but you've got different revisionist approaches for De Goey & Gus here.
De Goey kicked 48 goals in 2018 and kicked 12 goals in the finals as I said including 3 great goals in the GF.

Brayshaw finished 6th in our best and fairest. Using his Brownlow finish is just embarassing

Mar 13, 2005
Geelong
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea, Oakland Raiders, Celtics
The Good:
Another ugly win which in the past we would have lost and sitting on top of the ladder at 8-0.
TMac - We're so lucky not to have lost him in last year's trade season. He's been great all season and last night was his best game yet. Scoring goals, setting up goals, doing a lot of great work further up the ground and finally sealing the game with a goal from a fantastic mark. Hard to know what went wrong the past couple of years - maybe it was the constant embarrassment of watching his brother spud it up down back.
May - No doubt Buddy's under-done, but May completely blanketed him and still got a lot of the ball himself. In all-Australian form.
Hibberd - While not as obvious as May, his job on Papley was excellent. So good to have him him back playing at his best.
Oliver - Disposal questionable at times, but his ball handling and ability to clear the ball from dangerous situations while those around him were fumbling probably kept us in the game.
Jordon - Can see why he's been so highly regarded at the club. Still lacks a bit of polish but is a tireless worker and seems to have the knack of getting into the right places. Will improve further with experience, but last night was probably his best game to date.
Harmes - Back to the role he played so well in 2018 and seems to have his confidence back. So important to our midfield balance. Even gave us a couple of his trademark "don't argues" (Dusty who?)
Salem - Another calm and cool display across half back. He's playing at this high level so consistently it's easy to overlook him, but he was vital again.
Spargo - Quiet early but never stopped working and was pivotal to our going on to win the game. Most improved player in the team.

The Bad:
Max - Did some good work around the ground but his ruck work was terrible. He's looked like he may be carrying an injury as he's not moving to get into position for the tap and not jumping at all. When he did tap the ball it was usually to the opposition's advantage. Something's not right.
Jackson - Was given a bit of a lesson in the ruck and didn't really do much around the ground either. Still, he's a young player and he's earned a down game.
Kozzi - Didn't seem to be able to get into the game much at all and was often in the wrong position. Maybe we're just expecting too much from him after the electric form he's been in.

The Ugly:
Fritsch - No idea how he overturned his suspension, but he may as well have not played. It was just a horror game for him where nothing went his way.

The Hiddeous:
Gus - He's been getting worse by the week and hit rock bottom (I hope) last nighty. Rarely touched the ball and when he did he either gave it straight back to the opposition or put it OOB on the full. Needs to be dropped to find form at the lower level.

De Goey kicked 48 goals in 2018 and kicked 12 goals in the finals as I said including 3 great goals in the GF.

Brayshaw finished 6th in our best and fairest. Using his Brownlow finish is just embarassing

Gus finished 6th in a team which made a Prelim, De Goey finished 8th in a team that made the GF - care to explain the difference to me here mate?

Goals in finals aren't really a fair measure when comparing a midfielder to a forward.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Gus finished 6th in a team which made a Prelim, De Goey finished 8th in a team that made the GF - care to explain the difference to me here mate?

Goals in finals aren't really a fair measure when comparing a midfielder to a forward.
Well hold you're the one who said Gus was clearly better?
De Goey was very good that year and stood up in finals. Played a very good grand final
Brayshaw had about 10-15 week golden run in the midfield.

De Goey was Collingwood's leading goalkicker that year aswell.

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Would be nice if we could stop giving two goals to the opposition in the first minutes of a game, 2nd week in a row where we've conceded from the centre while barely touching the ball, confident we can iron that out, but it is frustrating. Centre work in general needs a massive lift, our defence must get pissed off with how quick and easy the ball is coming in from the centre bounce.

But, better to have those problems now than the pointy end of the season, 8-0 baby, feels good.

Back