Review Dees v the Bloods - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 8 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Well hold you're the one who said Gus was clearly better?
De Goey was very good that year and stood up in finals. Played a very good grand final
Brayshaw had about 10-15 week golden run in the midfield.

De Goey was Collingwood's leading goalkicker that year aswell.

I guess they're separate arguments really mate.

Who had the better exposed form? Arguably they're equal, both have had their moments.

Who is better value for a team now? I'd say Brayshaw without a doubt, De Goey is lazy and unfit.

Watched the replay today after going to the game last night.

TMac clear BOG. I was tempted to have him play back but good call from coaches. He is in great form.

I thought Brown, Hibberd, May, Salem, Landgdon and Spargo had good games without many mistakes. Salem set up a few goals with great kicks inside 50, doesn't need to play wing to do it. Brown looked a lot better not going to ground and getting up and down the ground a lot. He looked better in the air despite unideal conditions.

It also rained more frequently then what was visible on TV, thats one thing I noticed. Marks in our D50 down a lot as a result, so we did well considering thats our usual game.

The rest of the team had solid to average games, with lots of players doing some things well but other things pretty poorly. The whole midfield disposal by foot was pretty poor, but all chipped in and won their fair share at different times. Gawn was way down on his usual self but lifted a bit at times around the ground and laid some big tackles. Petty wasn't that bad, defenders will make a few mistakes, I think he will settle. Pickett and Fritsch were well defended.

Basically, we defended the corridor and ground balls incredibly well. It made the game a scrap and the mids disposal was poor as a result, but they got about one passage of play through the corridor for an easy shot on goal, which is awesome. Brayshaw stopped a lot of kicks into the corridor and halfed lots of contests. I don't think he was that bad.

The one thing we can 100% improve are centre clearances. Give our tall forwards a few easier looks inside 50 and take the pressure off our defenders. They hardly scored from centre clearances but the extra scoring opportunities we could have gotten from evening them up would have helped a lot.

Was sad to lose this one. Thought our effort was tremendous but your unbelievable defence + playing an injured forward and another two barely standard forwards in the rain just meant we couldnt finish any hard work.

May and Lever are a force and flags are built from defence. 8-0 is no fluke, best of luck this year.

Brown is hilarious. I am really, really getting behind his 3k run up. I used to find it utterly weird but now it’s OUR utterly weird and I love it.

Sydney supporters are a bunch that I quite like I think. Or maybe I just got lucky with the people sitting around me. Lots of yelling and cheering and sledging, but none of the mental case, umpire bitching throughout that you sometimes get. Plus they were being driven mad by BBB run up, which was funny, and one guy lost it utterly and was screaming “kick it to Buddy “ in a weird falsetto literally every time they had the ball, which was funny to start but quickly became entirely hilarious. I came in quite flat but really got into it. I even would have coped with a loss - just had a good time.
You should start a blog. A demonblog if you will.

Tmac being shown the door for peanuts only to turn into one of the premier forwards of the comp would have been the most Melbourne thing ever. The fact that it didn't helps the belief immensely

Tmac being shown the door for peanuts only to turn into one of the premier forwards of the comp would have been the most Melbourne thing ever. The fact that it didn't helps the belief immensely
It just means that we’re being set up for a greater fall

Not really, just the top 10 are sh*te. Jack Steele, Langdon, Lever, heck even ANB has ended up better than most of them.
But there aren’t many drafts where 5 of the top 10 are virtually cooked before the end of year 7...
Yes, my comments were regarding the proposition that the top 10 of that draft being weak. I wasn't making any statement on lower draft picks.

Lucky, too, because he's quite tall.
I was going to do a gag like that but couldn’t work out how it should go. And I was overworking it - trying to work in Victorian architecture or aircraft hangers but it got complicated and not funny. I’ll follow your lead next time

Watched the replay today as I was out last night and only caught the last 15 minutes.

Don't get the Petty hate, he had a nervous first kick but after that was solid. Should settle in over the next few weeks. Lol at campaigners wanting Joel Smith in. Even if he was fit that'd be a terrible move.
Our defense was good again. Hibberd and May especially cut off a lot of attacks and spoiled well. The Swans got around Lever well but he still stayed involved.

Jordon also looked good imo. A couple of shanks (not alone there), but his hands were clean and he put on plenty of pressure.

Our midfield was poor, however, especially at centre bounces. Hickey has always been good against Gawn and we couldn't really get going without Max dominating. A bit too ball focussed again.

TMc and Brown worked pretty well for most of the night. Tom has really come good this year and his hands were excellent last night. Brown presented well and worked up the ground nicely.

Harmes had a solid return. I was sceptical but he did well. Hunt got into ok spots a few times but wasn't used. Did have some nice runs with Langdon though.

Gus was ok until the last. Shat the bed to give Sinclair the early goal and seemed nervy. Not a big night but until then had done his job. Could be in line for dropping, although I think Melk should go out first. Don't think we need wholesale changes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also ImissFrosty you ready to admit I was right and the new man on the mark rule hasn't made footy any better at all to watch. Been sh*t as again last month
I would like everyone to come in here and tell you that you are right about all things. And maybe to apologise to you a bit. Doesn’t have to be true. In fact it often won’t be. But I would like it all the same.

Also ImissFrosty you ready to admit I was right and the new man on the mark rule hasn't made footy any better at all to watch. Been sh*t as again last month
Yeah that's fair. Been a few good games this round though. Dogs and blues right now is a rippa

I guess they're separate arguments really mate.

Who had the better exposed form? Arguably they're equal, both have had their moments.

Who is better value for a team now? I'd say Brayshaw without a doubt, De Goey is lazy and unfit.
Maybe today isn't the best day to mount this argument - he did kick 6 goals yesterday.

My main beef with De Goey is that he's a dickhead, not that he's worse than Gus.

Last edited:
Maybe today isn't the best day to mount this argument - he did kick 6 goals yesterday.

My main beef with De Grey is that he's a dickhead, not that he's worse than Gus.

Against a mob who are Neeld era bad though.

I agree with you, which I why I wouldn't want him in my team .... as well as a string of mediocre performances for 3 years.

Yeah that's fair. Been a few good games this round though. Dogs and blues right now is a rippa
But actually it was almost the most brilliant bit of marketing ever. They just flat out told everyone it would be better and players just started playing on thinking it was this key to success. Once again the coaches absolutely ****ed it.

But actually it was almost the most brilliant bit of marketing ever. They just flat out told everyone it would be better and players just started playing on thinking it was this key to success. Once again the coaches absolutely f’ed it.
It has made games a bit better for sure but not as much as was expected. Reckon the AFL will have a word to coaches to try sort something out

It has made games a bit better for sure but not as much as was expected. Reckon the AFL will have a word to coaches to try sort something out
They already tried that and the coaches told them get stuffed.

Only way any sort of progress will be made will be to drop it to 16 on the field. Or set up zones from kick ins and forward 50 stoppages.

Saw a few too many contests with all of Gawn, Jackson and Brown flying for the same mark, not sure Brown needs to get all the way up to the half back line if Jackson and Gawn are already there. Brown even ended up in the defensive 50 in the first quarter at one point, that felt like a structural break down. Reckon Brown just needs to anchor himself back a bit more because a few of our dump kicks under pressure went straight to Sydney players just sitting back.

Probably just take a little time for them to gel together I suppose.

Yeh Harmes was solid last night, wasn't sure about him being rushed in but the amount of times he used his strength to keep the ball in front of himself and little knocks away from Sydney players etc was really important.

They already tried that and the coaches told them get stuffed.

Only way any sort of progress will be made will be to drop it to 16 on the field. Or set up zones from kick ins and forward 50 stoppages.
16 won't happen. AFLPA has the AFL by the balls. Zones would cop so much heat, too hard to get up. Can see a SANFLesque last touch rule being implemented but that wouldn't be too dramatic I don't think.

16 won't happen. AFLPA has the AFL by the balls. Zones would cop so much heat, too hard to get up. Can see a SANFLesque last touch rule being implemented but that wouldn't be too dramatic I don't think.
Last touch doesn't solve the fundamental problem which is why I told you the man on the mark rule won't work.
You can add a million new rules, none of it matters when the coach asks the full forward to run to the defensive goalsquare and back again. Teams have it on a fast break, they look up and their FF is 10m infront of them running back towards goal. They stop prop go sideways or just bomb it back to the opposition. That's why scoring falls apart.
Jordan at one point was going inside 50 and just kicked it over the boundary line because there was no forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back