Review Dees v the Bloods - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 8 2021

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Saw a few too many contests with all of Gawn, Jackson and Brown flying for the same mark, not sure Brown needs to get all the way up to the half back line if Jackson and Gawn are already there. Brown even ended up in the defensive 50 in the first quarter at one point, that felt like a structural break down. Reckon Brown just needs to anchor himself back a bit more because a few of our dump kicks under pressure went straight to Sydney players just sitting back.

Probably just take a little time for them to gel together I suppose.
Gawn guilty of unnecessarily spoiling some pack marks we look well positioned for as well

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Last touch doesn't solve the fundamental problem which is why I told you the man on the mark rule won't work.
You can add a million new rules, none of it matters when the coach asks the full forward to run to the defensive goalsquare and back again. Teams have it on a fast break, they look up and their FF is 10m infront of them running back towards goal. They stop prop go sideways or just bomb it back to the opposition. That's why scoring falls apart.
Jordan at one point was going inside 50 and just kicked it over the boundary line because there was no forwards.
Would be nice if the umps called ball ups quicker to prevent all the forwards to get into defence. It felt like they were balling it up quicker slightly earlier in the season.

When Trac got holding the ball after being wrapped up for 5 seconds and everyone stopped waiting for a ball up was a good example of how long they take.

Tmac being shown the door for peanuts only to turn into one of the premier forwards of the comp would have been the most Melbourne thing ever. The fact that it didn't helps the belief immensely
Wonder what all the teams that said no thanks are thinking now. Would be like buying a Stradivarius from the op shop for $2.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Ahh the internet , bit like splitting the Atom . Every one thought that was a great idea until they invented the Atom Bomb . I think there is no-one here that saw T-Mac going as good as he is . I didn't . Just hope he keeps it going because i don't want him down back. 8-0 mother*ers

stabler

Premiership Player
Feb 7, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
swan.PNG

blackholesun.PNG

birdo.PNG

knackers29

Senior List
Jun 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good: Harmes. Having watched him in the VFL I didn't think he was ready for a straight recall, but he was really good first game back. Thought he played the Viney bull role well, taking on the tackle, breaking lines and creating space for the other mids. A heap of CP. Keep that up.
Had been very fumbly the last few times I saw him play. Was very clean on the weekend, and that makes a huge difference.

Forgot to add - Bad: John Longmire's blood pressure.

Bloke look liked he was ready to murder someone everytime we kicked a goal. Settle down Horse
You can see where Papley and Gulden get it from.

Get ready for lots of other teams to leave it all on the field when they play us this season. At least until we start losing anyway. Playing the undefeated side is a free hit. Even if you lose by 10 goals nobody really speaks about you.

Not sure about Harmes, call me a hater but, we got slaughtered out of centre bounces against Freo too in round 1 when he was in there, small sample size I know but something about the midfield just seems out of whack when he's around.

Outside of that thought he was fine.

Not sure about Harmes, call me a hater but, we got slaughtered out of centre bounces against Freo too in round 1 when he was in there, small sample size I know but something about the midfield just seems out of whack when he's around.

Viney missing in both games too.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Player 1, Oliver and Petracca also played as did Gawn.

Player 1, Oliver and Petracca also played as did Gawn.

Yea, I don't know, just seems the balance is off, too many see ball get ball types perhaps, not enough worrying about their bloke.

Goody saying we need to address it in his presser was good though, makes me think he noticed a few blokes weren't particularly playing their role or a team game this week.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Why don't we play Kozzy in there more? It seems we only play him there for the first bounce each quarter and that's it. I'd try ANB in there a bit more too.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Yea, I don't know, just seems the balance is off, too many see ball get ball types perhaps, not enough worrying about their bloke.

Goody saying we need to address it in his presser was good though, makes me think he noticed a few blokes weren't particularly playing their role or a team game this week.
I don't think it's one particular thing. Oliver and Trac aren't particularly defensive.
Jordans played 8 games
No Viney who's the defensive one. Gawns just not a good tap ruck. We have more success when Jackson rucks to himself.

One thing Ive noticed is Gawn will tap to the defensive side, the bloke misses it and there goes our defensive coverage at the stoppage

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
One thing Ive noticed is Gawn will tap to the defensive side, the bloke misses it and there goes our defensive coverage at the stoppage

If you’re a mid on the defensive side of the tap, wouldn’t a prime responsibility be to make sure this doesn’t happen? Seemed most noticeable to me with Clayton.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If you’re a mid on the defensive side of the tap, wouldn’t a prime responsibility be to make sure this doesn’t happen? Seemed most noticeable to me with Clayton.
Generally yes but we seem to attack from that side with Gawns taps. Not sure why but Gawn doesn't love the aggressive tap over the top

Back