Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I was just thinking back to a kick out in the game, I'm pretty sure it was in the last quarter when we couldn't get it out of the back half. There was a player free in the corridor, slightly risky but an easy enough pass to hit and May completely ignored it and bombed it long down the line. I was sitting at that end so had a perfect view, we just didn't look like scoring but just did the same thing. May hits that short pass and it completely opens the ground. Can't remember the player but I reckon they could have ran it straight through the middle, worse case scenario is long bomb to nothing which is what we were doing but atleast it's now in our forward half. (Actually worse case scenario is a turn over in the centre if the kick misses ala owies to Saad but we were behind). Also some point in the game maybe half time a fellow Melbourne said to me in while we were both at the pisser, any chance of a switch. Apparently we've being going like this since round 16. I didn't realise that it had been going that long, thought maybe since the Doggies game we've been way to conservative but it's been longer. We seem to go into our shells once getting a lead or we are willing to just be really defensive and scrap for wins like Geelong circa 19/20. Defence is great but too defensive won't win premierships as Geelong have proven, that's why Geelong has adapted.
I think I know the moment you were talking about aswell, it was up the corridor bloke was just inside 50 I reckon.
Its funny cause when May intercepts he's not against a short switch inside the D50, turned the one over against the dogs and made the same kick against Collingwood.
But from the kick in, nothing

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think I know the moment you were talking about aswell, it was up the corridor bloke was just inside 50 I reckon.
Its funny cause when May intercepts he's not against a short switch inside the D50, turned the one over against the dogs and made the same kick against Collingwood.
Yep would have been on just inside the 50 but definitely would have created something. Easier to see from where I was sitting and I actually forgot about the Doggies one so that would have played on his mind. The only difference was we were behind at that point, and didn't look like scoring.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Went through the whole last quarter and this is the only one you can see on tv

IMG_20220816_183800425.jpg

Salem doesn't even look

Does my head in.

May gets the ball in the square, looks to his right then angles out of the goalsquare and kicks to 55m out on the flank where brown and or Jackson are also with gawn. Like, not even an occasional kick right to switch it up. In the last quarter he did it 4 straight times. The first 10 minutes or so and Carlton kicked 2.5 from repeat entries on the back of this.

It's something that annoys me no end.
To compound this, last year’s gut running from the half forwards to provide the next kick on the wing isn’t there. Spargo in particular has dropped the ball here, and the loss of McDonald has been a factor too. Even if the run goes unrewarded, you still drag a man away from the inevitable pack of talls 60 metres from goal at the next kick and give the KPF a chance for a 1v1.

Reckon that was the hardest I've celebrated a win for as long as I can remember, the match being horrible to watch for 99% of it, followed by a ridiculous finish probably helped. Also having top 4 lost, only to steal that chance back. Just an incredible atmosphere at the ground, dees supporters were going mental everywhere.
It was genuinely incredible. Hugging strangers.

KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Went through the whole last quarter and this is the only one you can see on tv

Salem doesn't even lo

There was one in the 3rd quarter where May was kicking out and sparrow was about 50 out all alone. Rather than leading and calling for the ball he turned his back on May and ran towards to inevitable kick long towards Gawn area. Just no plan to do any alternative from anyone.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Confusing thing is with our first kick out against Freo over in Freo May kicks it up the guts to a Gawn lead.
both against Freo 2nd time around and Brisbane, we looked to be a bit more imaginative with kick ins, and what do you know, we won pretty convincingly both times. Lord only knows why we aren't maintaining it

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think it's energy levels and our team's response to when the other team gets on top.

I've heard players mention 'turning it into a grind'. Going back to our "1 wood" and "winning contests".

When the other team gets on top we stop taking risks with our ball movement and instead go for predictability and (hopefully) go back to winning contests, pressuring etc. So we are down and May pumps it back in and back in because Gawny is there and he'll provide a contest, we can lock it in and hopefully grind the other team down and move it forward (somehow).

Except our energy levels are sapped, other team has momentum so they're hunting the ball and player and we look on the ropes, sluggish and out of ideas. Their defence would lick their lips if they saw it being bombed to the same spot every time, as it's so easy to defend.

Psychologically it's sapping to see the same thing play out over and over. Nobody seems to want to take responsibility to take a risk out of defence.

Can’t stop watching this. It’s like that Watts moment. Felt as good as a premiership (or I had to make do, because we were no chance of winning one).
We were ninth on the ladder heading into that game. Spent ten of the subsequent 12 rounds inside the 8 only to drop out of it. Fifth after R16. Such a tease. Very appropriate theme for Watts’ finish to the year. Looked like it was all coming good, and then was unceremoniously dumped.

That North loss by 4 points in Hobart was honestly more diabolical than the R23 Collingwood game. They were 17th on the ladder heading into it. Should have had seventh spot very much stitched up before we played the Pies.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We were ninth on the ladder heading into that game. Spent ten of the subsequent 12 rounds inside the 8 only to drop out of it. Fifth after R16. Such a tease. Very appropriate theme for Watts’ finish to the year. Looked like it was all coming good, and then was unceremoniously dumped.

That North loss by 4 points in Hobart was honestly more diabolical than the R23 Collingwood game. They were 17th on the ladder heading into it. Should have had seventh spot very much stitched up before we played the Pies.
I reckon round 22 against brisbane was bad, had a great lead and they kicked 5 of the last 6 something like that so our percentage took a hit, instead of a 6 goal win we ended up winning by 2 goals. Losing to freo and hawthorn earlier in the year also hurt. The other thing was Collingwood started to find some form towards the back end of the season and ended up almost winning the premiership the very next year.

I reckon round 22 against brisbane was bad, had a great lead and they kicked 5 of the last 6 something like that so our percentage took a hit, instead of a 6 goal win we ended up winning by 2 goals. Losing to freo and hawthorn earlier in the year also hurt. The other thing was Collingwood started to find some form towards the back end of the season and ended up almost winning the premiership the very next year.
Yeah that’s why I’m not too phased by that Collingwood game. We were already stumbling to the finish line with injuries and then lost Hogan during the game. We were truly no chance of beating either Port or Sydney in an EF, would have copped a flogging.

Conceding late goals to the wooden spooners and undermining our percentage? Giving up a big lead to Freo? Conceding 5.5 to 0.2 in the fifth quarter against Richmond to lose by 13? Priceless :$

At least in the Hawthorn and Collingwood losses we were outplayed for most of the game.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah that’s why I’m not too phased by that Collingwood game. We were already stumbling to the finish line with injuries and then lost Hogan during the game. We were truly no chance of beating either Port or Sydney in an EF, would have copped a flogging.

Conceding late goals to the wooden spooners and undermining our percentage? Giving up a big lead to Freo? Conceding 5.5 to 0.2 in the fifth quarter against Richmond to lose by 13? Priceless :$

At least in the Hawthorn and Collingwood losses we were outplayed for most of the game.
The 3rd quarter against Freo was hard to watch 21 points up at half time and then the 3rd quarter was virtually played in freos 50m. I was on the Olympic stand end and I could barely see the play, it just did not come to this end. It was as if they forgot to take down an auskick field at that end and that's where they played.

The 3rd quarter against Freo was hard to watch 21 points up at half time and then the 3rd quarter was virtually played in freos 50m. I was on the Olympic stand end and I could barely see the play, it just did not come to this end. It was as if they forgot to take down an auskick field at that end and that's where they played.
Fyfe just went nuclear in that second half. Didn’t help that Gawn was out either and Sandilands just completely got on top.

A very fun year but my god was it frustrating. So many wins gone begging - the Geelong game another. That’s immaturity though - flip side is the way we ground out wins v Pies, WCE and Carlton.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Would have comfortably beaten Port that year. They lost a home final to the Eagles who literally limped in

Would have comfortably beaten Port that year. They lost a home final to the Eagles who literally limped in
I considered that too, but we were truly limping to the end of the year list wise, very well set up for a belting away. I don’t have your optimism

Goodwin to may: we need to kick it down the line again.
May, it's been 7 games, we've done it, it's been done.
Goodwin: but we need to do it from different camera angles, again and again and again and again.

Game strategy meeting with Goody, May and Gawn.

Back