Review Dees v the Dogs - End of Days indeed: the Good and Bad, Fugly and Calamitous

Remove this Banner Ad

I cannot even remember the glories of the Prelim Final as I write, let alone the victory over Brisbane. The Onslaught eclipses everything.

I cannot even remember the glories of the Prelim Final as I write, let alone the victory over Brisbane. The Onslaught eclipses everything.
Trust me, it was pretty sweet. ;)

The comeback against Geelong in r23 ranks very highly too - without that, we don't finish top, and maybe the confidence isn't so high going into finals.

Mate the fact he even snagged 3 might haunt me to the grave

what was the avatar you changed to by the way, meant to ask but was too caught up in the game

FB: 29 - 6 - 10/16 (+37*)

HB: 21 - 37* - 9

C : 3 - 2 - 30

HF: 12 - 53 - R

FF: 40 - 33 - 31

R : 34 - 4 - 26

IC: 3 - 29 - 32 - 27 - (33)

Interesting exercise here. Where did we draft/trade for Premiership players. Been some media coverage around the batch of high picks, turns out most of them were gone by the time we played. Those in red were traded in.

Hey guys, I've had my account suspended for a week because I told the dogs fans that I didn't rate them so this is the first chance I've had to post about the game. I've missed the party so please take your time to reply if desired so I can make up for lost time and feel part of it :)

My thoughts on the game:

Petracca and Oliver: No-one has the power of these guys.I think they'll change the way teams draft players such is their dominance.

Neale-Bullen: This guy just had 24 touches and a goal in a granny! Many fans wanted this guy dropped a couple seasons ago but I've always loved his game. Aggressive, elite work rate and has a knack for the goals.

Jackson:We need to sign him up for 7-8 years as soon as possible. He could be All-Australian as early as next year. Having an extra midfielder at the stoppages is a massive advantage.

Sparrow: Developing at the rate of knots. He's actually a really straight kick for goal and he's built like a fridge. Needs to continue building speed as he gets bigger but I'm loving his game. A great overhead mark too.

Bowey: Even though Basil called him Jack on the medal presentations (come on mate) this guy is going to be a 12 year player and another Jason Taylor steal. 17 composed touches in a granny and kept Weightman quiet. I'm still convinced that he can't handball on his left but every other part of his game is elite. If he can continue to work on the defensive part of his game it will help us greatly as we don't have too many small defensive mids (if any legit ones in the 22). Lockhart was one but has just been delisted.

Salem: Making the Josh Kelly trade just about even now. What a gun. And was our best in the opening quarter by a long way.

May:I heard the doggies fans say that May is going to be so nervous about Naughton. The AA fb doesn't get nervous. And he didn't. Great game on Naughton.

Lever:Below his best but he did what he needed to.

Viney: I'll put my hand up and say that he was doing my head in with his disposals during the year. I even wanted him dropped. But when the finals arrived he's the guy that makes me relax because he always cracks in. 12 clearances. One of our best on the day.

Brayshaw:Even though he had 5 of the worst kicking errors of the day (2 on the full and about 3 grubbers) he made up for it with going back with the flight to take the sliding mark and most importantly converted. A big heart and crashed in hard.

Petty: What a great game he played. No-one really noticed this but he took an intercept mark when we were about 5 goals up in the last (and when I was still really nervous that we could lose haha). I recall his intercept mark alleviating all my stress. I still think that when Tomlinson returns Petty can go forward but Lever loves Petty so I think Petty will always play back.

Fritsch: Yay, he's kicking straight! He's such a tough match up. Too tall for smalls and too nimble for tall defenders. Embarrassed Easton Wood but to be fair I think Wood had a broken wrist. 2nd in norm and will go down as one of the best demons games in history.

Langdon: Was very quiet before 3/4 time but had 11 touches and kicked a goal in the important last quarter where admittedly I was still very nervous. He set neale-bullen up for what was the sealer! I could do with another one of these guys!

Ben Brown: I was annoyed that he missed his first 2 shots but he kicked big goals. Especially the first goal of the last quarter. He got some generous whistles (4 frees for the game) but that's what happens when you're 200cm and have long arms.

Hibberd: I don't give a stuff how many touches he got, that 1 on 1 win vs Johannison inside 50m was HUUUGGGE. He didn't go to ground, used his strength and used all of his defensive iQ to stop a goal. The Hunt vs Hibberd debate was justified in that contest alone.

T.Mcdonald: He's definitely not playing with confidence. He opted to take chest marks over stretching his arms out for the mark and that cost him arguably 1 goal as well as a couple of marks around the ground. I was glad on a personal level that he got 2 goals next to his name but I do feel that Weideman may pass him next season unless McDonald works on his speed even more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whatever may come our way in life, are we not so much happier from all the heroics on Saturday Night?

Hey all! Hope you don't mind me popping in to say congrats.

I was umming and ahhing over who to go for this GF as I think prior to the game both teams had an equally compelling storyline. In my eyes, there wasn't a traditional villain in the mix. The breaking of the drought and the long way there, respectifully. However, now that all's said and done, it's clear to see that things went as they should have. And what a way to do it! I'm sure you're sick of any comparisons but I have to speak from my own experience and say that it really did remind me of 2017. Although this was a far more dominating margin. The look of joy on everyone in the dee's camp, as well as the celebrations from people I know. It's all been very nice to watch play out, and good to see Goodwin lift the ultimate prize after so much criticism.

Enjoy your moment and the year ahead, there's something fun about being the hunted. Gives the season an "us against them" aura which is great to revel in. Celebrate to your heart's content and best of luck for 2022.

When Bontempelli snapped that goal 12 minutes into the 3rd quarter, they had a stranglehold on the game. They were polished with their disposal whereas we were fumbling the ball. To preserve my emotions, I was more or less ready to add it to the pile of missed opportunities for this club.

We weren’t out of the game but there was absolutely no indication we were a couple of minutes away from absolutely dominating. Whatever happens from here, I’ve got nothing but love for this team of 2021. Not only were they premiers, they showed remarkable resilience in crunch games and even in the matches they lost, they were balls deeps in games in the final quarter. You can’t ask for much more from a team in one season.

Good
Three days later and it's beginning to dawn that this isn't a dream. The boys really did win the thing. Incredible. And after I'd finally made peace with never seeing a flag in my lifetime.

Bad
How sick I felt on Sunday. Lad can't hold his liquor.

Ugly
Not having the guts to drive to my brother's place to watch the game. Wait decades each for this to finally happen and I sit at home alone and miss the euphoria of celebrating with my family. I'll regret that for a long time.

Good
Three days later and it's beginning to dawn that this isn't a dream. The boys really did win the thing. Incredible. And after I'd finally made peace with never seeing a flag in my lifetime.

Bad
How sick I felt on Sunday. Lad can't hold his liquor.

Ugly
Not having the guts to drive to my brother's place to watch the game. Wait decades each for this to finally happen and I sit at home alone and miss the euphoria of celebrating with my family. I'll regret that for a long time.
Didn’t know whether to give this a love react or a sad react for the last bit. We decided to do the right thing and stay at home rather than go to an illicit gathering, but I’m still not certain that was the right decision.

Didn’t know whether to give this a love react or a sad react for the last bit. We decided to do the right thing and stay at home rather than go to an illicit gathering, but I’m still not certain that was the right decision.
This is why they have to go back to back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back