Review Dees v the Dogs - End of Days indeed: the Good and Bad, Fugly and Calamitous

Remove this Banner Ad

Thinking about ways we might find improvement next year... finally training on a ground the size of the MCG is going to help.

Thinking about ways we might find improvement next year... finally training on a ground the size of the MCG is going to help.
Sleeping in our own beds before game day.
Having the MCG roaring at them again.

Question.
1:13 to play, Q3, just before the blitz.
BBB gets the free for HTM.
Cordy stands right over BBB with a hand in his back keeping him down.
How is that not time wasting/50m?

Not complaining about what happened in the next 1:13 but seems obvious.

players do that all the time when given the chance, pretty sure we did it against Essendon this year (cant remember the player)

Glad stuff like that isn't given 50

players do that all the time when given the chance, pretty sure we did it against Essendon this year (cant remember the player)
Yeah ok just never seen the hand in the back like that before

Our best is good enough to beat anyone and our 70-80% is still good enough to beat most teams. No reason we don't go into next year confident we should at least make a prelim.

Still, I'll think more about next year in February.

fu** you Basil, why is this football club and the AFL allowing this clown a chance to ruin something else? Keep that clown away from everything..

love you Gazz

Gazza nailed it. Already hated Basil but hate him even more after the calamitous f*** up during the post game celebrations. Whatever they do back in Melbourne when they can, please make sure Gaz is hosting. That was brilliant...

That MFC curse had been lifted, don't need to worry about Melbourne 'pulling a Melbourne' anymore, we've won a bloody premiership, the confidence the playing group, the club, the supporters have gained from that will filter on throughout.

Boy oh boy. I've waited a couple of days to write anything. Mostly because I've been hungover af. Necked a bottle of chandon on the final siren and pulled up a bit worse for wear. Called everyone I knew at 2am and yelled into their voice mail about how fn good the Dees are! Anyway

Good

Trac. Clutch. Arguably the best game ever played in a GF.

Fritta. We all knew if he could start kicking straight he was capable of this season. Came up huge in the finals.

Gus. Man, cops it from supporters a bit but how huge was he on the big day!? Sorry i was open to trading you last season. Stay for as long as you like.

Dogga. This kid is something special already. His ability below knees is possibly the best I've ever seen from a big man.

Riv. Thought he had a shaky finals campaign up until the GF. Was arguably our most solid defender on the day. Love him.

North FC. Thank you for Ben Brown. Boy was he important in the last 6 weeks. Exactly what we needed.

Viney. This man is built for finals. Did a lot of things that went unnoticed. I love him.

Salem. Instrumental early and was solid all game. So calm with ball in hand. Bowey and Salo are massive weapons moving forward now.

Goodwin. Robotic like. Boring at times for sure. But geez the boys love him and so will every MFC supporter from now on. Coached amazingly well in the finals. Have we signed him up for ten years yet?

MFC. It's always been a love/hate relationship with this club. But from now on, the hate is gone. The weight is lifted. The curse dead and buried. I can't say I'd like to wait another 57 years to see this again, but f*** that feeling during that last quarter and afterwards was worth the wait. I love you MFC.

Supporters. We did it. We've rode so many bumps and suffered through so much pain. We bloody deserve this. Each and every one of us. Even the most pessimistic supporters! Lap it up! Enjoy being the Kings of the AFL. We earned it. We were the best for nearly all season, and more importantly we were the best when it mattered. Our finals series was something to behold. Staggering really. That last 40 minutes of football will live with me forever. It was breathtaking. The best football I think I've seen any team play ever. And to do it in a GF with game on the line, simply remarkable it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it..

BAD

BT. Man, when I dreamed about winning this flag, I did not have this clown commentating. Didn't spoil it, but stuff like Frothies May, WTF?? I wish Commetti was still around..

UGLY

Well, while I am so grateful for the premiership, I am so fn jealous of those in Perth that got to experience that first hand. That was taken away from us here vin Melb and there will always be that little feeling of envy when I watch the celebrations. It hasn't dampened the win or the feeling, but it could have been so much more special being there. Going to the G on Sunday to see the cup and players. Being a the game crying my eyes out so happy. This is what I hope inspires the whole club to get there again next year so the supporters here in Melb, the heartland get a chance to experience that first hand.

I couldn’t have said it any better.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think in my drunken, euphoric haze i Replied to not only all my mates who know how much this means to me, personally.
Most of them have all experienced it. But i replied to every IG Story of randoms notable ones being Clarry, Bowzers sister ; Telling her how much we all love watching her brother play footy, and the one i most surprised with is Paul Roos.

Roosy's story said "Unbelievable" and a picture of the lads with the CUP I said, "Belive it Roosy! I cant Belive it either," he send me back a:thumbsu:
Should of mentioned how instrumental he was in this.

Watching the goal BBB kicked off the Trac clearance in the 3rd, lol, luck an absolute fortune, I thought Trac placed the kicked beautifully watching it live but it was an absolute shank looking the replay, floater with the ball spinning forwards off his boot. haha

Reckon he was looking for Slick again

whatevs tho, Ill take it.

I think they were missing VanderMeer most though.
Yeah but we didn’t have Josh Bruce last time you pantsed us by 75 points in a granny and you guys are unchanged.

Tongue in cheek. I respect the dogs fans, very humble and know what it’s like to go through what we have been through, in my experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Said it before the Granny and feel even more vindicated. I reckon you could drop Brown, May and Gawn from our starting side and it wouldn't matter if Oliver and Petracca decide to dominate.

When they are in full flight attacking hard they are unstoppable and completely dictate the game.
Agree from a playing perspective. Maybe Gawn missing would impact from a leadership perspective though. Although it did kinda feel like Petracca was our captain for the day.

I think if we're in the granny next year, May wouldn't be selected with that sort of injury. The romance factor was great, and I'm rapt that he got his medal, but I wouldn't support selecting an injured player a second time. He was unfit to play and was lucky to get through the game. If the game had been close in the last quarter, things could have worked out differently. Guess we had the sub in that case, but still. Destiny I guess. May was going to hop around on one leg if he had to.

There only one fugly for me and that’s that it was Darren Burgess’ last game for the club. I lost track of the amount of times he’s been name checked by the players during the finals series. Adelaide have got a stud on their hands there. I hope the club have a gun lined up to replace him.
No doubt. I really hope Burgess selected and groomed his own replacement. Burgo's just got the edge on the competition.

Still sitting around in my Give Em' Hell t-shirt impulse buy after the Prelim. Wore it for 2 days straight now, including watching the GF replay yesterday afternoon - which I needed to watch just to make sure it did actually happen, and wasn't some cruel dream (can confirm - yes, it did happen).

T-shirt starting to stink a bit now, but I don't care.

Thank you to all you awesome people who post here. I don't post here a lot these days, but this place did get me through the dark times, I still drop in and read regularly, and the passion you all show does put a big smile on my face. Enjoy the moment and soak it in - it's been hell, but it's worth it for this feeling.

For anyone who went last night I’d love to hear what the crowd was like in terms of noise.

It was pretty awesome. I say that with a fair bit of guilt, as I would have traded it away happily 100 times over for this to have been played out in front of a packed MCG, where it belongs.

In the 3rd, once the run on started, it got pretty bloody loud. It was probably when Brown took the mark from the Petracca clearance that the atmosphere really exploded - massive roar. Neutrals (although it felt 70/30 in our favour) realised it was game-on, and the Melbourne crew realised the momentum had really swung. Then that last 40 seconds of the 3rd - jeebus - a weird combination of shock, hysteria and joy - felt like the place was shaking.

Question.
1:13 to play, Q3, just before the blitz.
BBB gets the free for HTM.
Cordy stands right over BBB with a hand in his back keeping him down.
How is that not time wasting/50m?

Not complaining about what happened in the next 1:13 but seems obvious.
Because it's a GF not under 7s kids footy. Brown could have got up if he wanted

Fugly: my level of desolation after I said that Bont was having a Dangerfield 2020-like GF in the first, and then he played a possible GOAT 20 minute patch before Trac decided he'd had enough

yep I called him bontemsmelli and then he had an epic 2nd quarter, I thought I had jinxed it.

yep I called him bontemsmelli and then he had an epic 2nd quarter, I thought I had jinxed it.
Was a game of contrasts.
  1. Four nothing touches in the first, slid in to take Trac’s knees out, got Oliver high, pathetic flop to try and get a free kick which got paid HTB
  2. Two fairly nondescript disposals and one inside 50 leading to a point before his first goal, and then went nuclear
  3. Stayed nuclear, kicked his third goal, and then had two ineffective disposals in the last 11 minutes
  4. Won the opening clearance of the fourth which was a turnover to Bowey, and then picked up four cheapies across half back to close out the game
Will be remembered as a great game, but outside of ten minutes either side of HT he did basically nothing

Permanently relocating to Perth? :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back