Review Dees v the Dogs - End of Days indeed: the Good and Bad, Fugly and Calamitous

Who among us didn’t think we were getting another when Trac got his hands on the ball. Really exciting.
You mean with 15secs to play? I absolutely thought they were going to kick another.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
One thing I've kept an eye on this year is the Telstra tracker.

We consistently average about 1km/h faster in defence than offense - with the other team we are playing often the reverse, trying to push hard forward on us.

In the GF we averaged 7.6 km/h to 6.4 km/h in defense and Doggies led 7.6km/h to 6.7 km/h in attack.

We had the top 5 players in defensive running average and they had the top 5 of average speed in attack.

The difference is quite stark and you could see how in the 2nd quarter their mids were out running ours into attack (Bont 2 goals, Treloar 2 goals).

But we just crushed them in the 2nd half and when we put the foot down (like we have in many 2nd halves this year) and they didn't have the running to go with us.

Even when they had some play in the 2nd half and went to move the ball we outnumbered them so quickly inside 50 (one play we had 7v2). It helps that almost all of our forward line has huge tanks or are good gut runners (BBB, Tmac, Nibbler, Kozzie, Spargo). When we win the ball with our mids folding back we can still move it effectively as our forwards bust their asses to get forward and we choose to move it methodically or get it down the line for a ball up and reset.

Testament to the club to turn our gamestyle around in such a 180 from 2018 when we were last good.

Defence still wins flags

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The ruck advantage was clear I think, and they would have known that none of their mids can really compete with Trac, Oliver and Viney head to head. We did something similar to them in 2018 before 6-6-6.

fu** imagine if we pulled it off again the next time we play them
When I watched the replay it looks like Jackson really only splits the actual ruck knock 50-50 but for first and second possession Jackson basically makes it 4 on 3 with Martin / English no where and Libba is doing nothing either. All happens so fast, so crazy.

deeco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 3, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
When I watched the replay it looks like Jackson really only splits the actual ruck knock 50-50 but for first and second possession Jackson basically makes it 4 on 3 with Martin / English no where and Libba is doing nothing either. All happens so fast, so crazy.
4D chess from Libba doing the "IM RUNNING REALLY FAST" move putting his head down in the 4th quarter chasing us out of the centre so Bevo doesn't blast him for not trying in the review

Yeah in terms of pure taps he only wins 1 or 2. It's more so the way the he hits the ground and then puts his body over the ball and clears space for our mids to collect unpressured, or that handball to Viney.

Haha the 3rd quarter was so amazing that people have almost forgotten then Fritsch X2 and Brown was also 3 goals in a minute haha
Fritsch's second goal in that span (fourth overall) was just about favourite in the entire game - crowd went ballistic, I spilt my beer everywhere, and I didn't even mind Taylor's rambling for a change.

1633052129852.png

This is that last Petracca one we didn't kick. Jackson actually bypasses the ruck contest, runs straight to the front of the contest and flicks the ball back to Oliver. English has clearly s**t himself by this stage and barely even makes contact with the football.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
fu** this one gets me. Just sheer disbelief. I’ll never forget it. Possibly my all-time favourite moment as a Dees fan

Reminded me a little of the Hawks semi-final, when Gunston hit the post and we ran it straight back down the other end for a goal. Huge momentum swing.

"CANT BELIEVE IT. CAN'T BELIEVE IT. CAN'T BELIEVE IT. CANNOT BELIEVE IT!"

Also a bit crazy how clean it all is. Love Clarry’s gather from Jackson’s handball with the one mit.
Yeah it's the definition of running hot, everything went exactly right. Both of them basically don't break stride from the second the ball hits the ground after the ruck contest.

Reminded me a little of the Hawks semi-final, when Gunston hit the post and we ran it straight back down the other end for a goal. Huge momentum swing.

"CANT BELIEVE IT. CAN'T BELIEVE IT. CAN'T BELIEVE IT. CANNOT BELIEVE IT!"

I was wondering why you were quoting Gus' post GF interview with Hodge when I remembered that was BT's call.

Ten Things I love about the Grand Final in no particular order.
  1. The Bulldogs' mistakes of Q1
  2. James Harmes' kick - it could not have been more perfect.
  3. Fritsche's Land-0n-his-feet-like-a-cat-goal - and revving up of the crowd
  4. The look of weariness and bewilderment on the Bulldogs centre-square crew after another goal in the Q3
  5. Petracca's blind turn.
  6. Oliver pointing his finger to the heavens after THE goal.
  7. Tommy McDonald - a Neeld survivor - kicking a goal after the siren.
  8. Gus' kick for goal
  9. "Bang, Bang, Bang, Bang."
  10. The Pig trotting over to his family with the Premiership Cup after the game.
Also, another one:

"Oliver agaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnn"

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Also, another one:

"Oliver agaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiinnnnnn"

Pigs one on one win in the first quarter was fantastic.

Trac's dribbler was a thing of beauty.

Langdon's gut running in the last might be dismissed by many due to the game being over, but it highlighted the work ethic he and the team put in.

The look on that Dees supporters face after the Trac goal(i think) when it dawned on him that we could actually win the premiership. Overcome with emotion.

The look of pure enjoyment on Dogga's face after the Oliver goal.

Pig running off with the cup. It's what we all would have done and he deserved that moment.

That Harmes kick to Fritta.

Trac's first goal of the game can't be understated. Not many blokes can do that kick anytime let alone on GF day.

The bench players running onto the ground. If it was at the G, deadset I think I would have jumped the fence and joined them.

Oliver's smile late in the match. The work was done. We'd won it and he couldn't contain the satisfaction.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Just read the thread top to bottom and I can say is "I love this sh*t".
Hey Super! Just the man I was looking for. I loved your blog this year. By strange coincidence I too was wrestling with a doona cover on Saturday albeit in the afternoon as a diversionary tactic.

I was wondering whether you would consider restocking some merch and getting some more Tankquiry Not Guilty World Tour T-shirts? If I ever work in the office again I think that would make a really nice statement piece, and a piquant counterpoint if worn in rotation with your regular 2021 premiership number

Last edited:

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Hey Super! Just the man I was looking for. I loved your blog this year. By strange coincidence I too was wrestling with a doona cover on Saturday albeit in the afternoon as a diversionary tactic.

I was wondering whether you would consider restocking som merch and getting some more Tankquiry Not Guilty World Tour T-shirts? If I ever work in the office again I think that would make a really nice statement piece, and a piquant counterpoint if worn in rotation with your regular 2021 premiership number

It’s criminal that this post is four hours old with no likes.

Elite wardrobe plan PG.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Everyone seems very impressed with Viney’s actions at the throw-in which leads to the Harmes-Fritsch goal. Commentator says in real time that he “goes without”, then immediately after Fritsch marks, another commentator gives him plaudits for creating the space for Harmes.

Would love to be educated on what made his actions so special here. Seems like he takes a chance, maybe reads where he thinks the ball is likely to end up, and goes for it.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Everyone seems very impressed with Viney’s actions at the throw-in which leads to the Harmes-Fritsch goal. Commentator says in real time that he “goes without”, then immediately after Fritsch marks, another commentator gives him plaudits for creating the space for Harmes.

Would love to be educated on what made his actions so special here. Seems like he takes a chance, maybe reads where he thinks the ball is likely to end up, and goes for it.
Honestly this is one of those hindsight plays where commentators try and sound smart.
He goes in with intent but misses it. If Smith hadn't fumbled and started a break away chain theyd probably blame Viney for not being accountable at stoppages

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
Honestly this is one of those hindsight plays where commentators try and sound smart.
He goes in with intent but misses it. If Smith hadn't fumbled and started a break away chain theyd probably blame Viney for not being accountable at stoppages

Yea sort of seemed like any other gamble a player trying to win the ball might take.

Back