Review Dees v the Dogs - End of Days indeed: the Good and Bad, Fugly and Calamitous

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah got to love Fox Footy consistantly replaying the GF

Rewatching it again last night I noticed you could tell when the Bulldogs were broken through Liberatore

Early on everytime a Melbourne player would give away a free or have a key mark taken on them (ala English on Petty) he would give the Melbourne player the smart ass well done tap.

Late in the third and early in the last the smug campaigner with the shittest tats I have ever seen would just jog passed the offending Melbourne player

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Honestly this is one of those hindsight plays where commentators try and sound smart.
He goes in with intent but misses it. If Smith hadn't fumbled and started a break away chain theyd probably blame Viney for not being accountable at stoppages
Yep, Harmes deserves all the credit for his composure to collect the fumble and nail the kick.

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Same as when Daisy Pearce said Langdons horrible kick on the wing just before it that missed McDonald by a mile was ok because Brayshaw kicked a sh*t one a minute later
Didn’t she say it was the right option? Not a good kick? As it left us with most of the ground covered, dogs take the shorter option in rebound and turn it over equals Melbourne goal as we transition from near the outside of the centre square?

Didn’t she say it was the right option? Not a good kick? As it left us with most of the ground covered, dogs take the shorter option in rebound and turn it over equals Melbourne goal as we transition from near the outside of the centre square?
Yeah that was her point. It was a better spot for us to turn it over and defend from.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
No watch it again, she it was a good option because Brayshaw kicks it poorly next play and you can defend it from deep.

By that logic Harmes kick was stupid and he went against our system

No watch it again, she it was a good option because Brayshaw kicks it poorly next play and you can defend it from deep.

By that logic Harmes kick was stupid and he went against our system

She said the kick to Tmac was a lower risk kick as a turnover allowed the defence to set up so may could intercept. If Langdon messed up the kick to Pickett we were exposed.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
She said the kick to Tmac was a lower risk kick as a turnover allowed the defence to set up so may could intercept. If Langdon messed up the kick to Pickett we were exposed.

I find it odd that we would be exposed when Picket was literally the only forward option we had at the moment. Seems like by definition we had everyone behind the ball.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I know BT gets a lot of s**t, but damn for a play that never actually occurred that was exciting. We get the wide field view and “BUT LOOK AT PICKET!”, and damn I still wish Langdon put it out there and let the little guy run after it. I know I had visions of Hannan running down the wing against Geelong as it was unfolding.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I find it odd that we would be exposed when Picket was literally the only forward option we had at the moment. Seems like by definition we had everyone behind the ball.

The deeper forward you move the ball, the further up the ground your defenders can move the zone.

It makes the ground “smaller”. The defensive zone is setting up around 30-70 metres behind the ball, but another 20-30 metres closer to Melbourne’s goal.

The expectation is your defensive zone will probably win the ball back anyway, and if it doesn’t, the opposition are effectively an additional kick away from scoring.

Making the ground “smaller” is also why Melbourne generally attack down the same wing. It allows the defensive zone to setup using the boundary as one part of the “zone”, and then it’s only a 90 degree range of 30-70 metres of space to defend.

If you turn it over in the centre of the ground, the boundary isn’t part of the “zone” and you need to defend around 180 degree range of area towards the opponent’s goal.

I know BT gets a lot of sh*t, but damn for a play that never actually occurred that was exciting. We get the wide field view and “BUT LOOK AT PICKET!”, and damn I still wish Langdon put it out there and let the little guy run after it. I know I had visions of Hannan running down the wing against Geelong as it was unfolding.

TK has said it in the past but BT can be great when he gives a s**t. The problem is the difference between his best and his worst. He gets very sulky when the game isn't going the way he likes.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
TK has said it in the past but BT can be great when he gives a sh*t. The problem is the difference between his best and his worst. He gets very sulky when the game isn't going the way he likes.

All I could think as he whined about gus not looking at goal was “ok boomer”.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
All I could think as he whined about gus not looking at goal was “ok boomer”.

Taylor still wants footy played like it was in the 1980s when he played.

He’s an “entertainment” commentator, like Brayshaw.

Channel seven don’t tend to use straight commentators that call the play, they use hype men. They use the special comments commentators, often during breaks in play, to supply some analysis and modern game knowledge.

Some focus group must have told them the general public like screaming buffoons.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
I mean he did look a numpty when Gus kicked it but BT was a goal kicking coach.

And a damn good kick from what I understand (Coleman winner maybe? not sure). But it just sounded like a guy whining that these kids these days just don’t do it like we used to.

Honestly I didn’t care much either way because I had zero expectation Gus would kick it no matter what he did.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I like Daisey but as the game got into the last quarter she started to make no sense at all . I guess the emotion of it all got to her .

Taylor still wants footy played like it was in the 1980s when he played.

He’s an “entertainment” commentator, like Brayshaw.

Channel seven don’t tend to use straight commentators that call the play, they use hype men. They use the special comments commentators, often during breaks in play, to supply some analysis and modern game knowledge.

Some focus group must have told them the general public like screaming buffoons.
I can’t stand BT with the set shots. It’s like if they don’t follow his exact goal kicking routine he starts abusing them.

Are we ever going to see or hear from Ron Barassi? I know that he is very fragile. Speak, and your servant shall be healed.

May 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
The deeper forward you move the ball, the further up the ground your defenders can move the zone.

It makes the ground “smaller”. The defensive zone is setting up around 30-70 metres behind the ball, but another 20-30 metres closer to Melbourne’s goal.

The expectation is your defensive zone will probably win the ball back anyway, and if it doesn’t, the opposition are effectively an additional kick away from scoring.

Making the ground “smaller” is also why Melbourne generally attack down the same wing. It allows the defensive zone to setup using the boundary as one part of the “zone”, and then it’s only a 90 degree range of 30-70 metres of space to defend.

If you turn it over in the centre of the ground, the boundary isn’t part of the “zone” and you need to defend around 180 degree range of area towards the opponent’s goal.
TMac was also tight with the boundary so much higher chance to force a 50:50 throw in, where as Pickett was mid wing. That said, Pickett had burnt off his man and a dink kick to space in front of him would have been a chest mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back