Review Dees v the Dusty Tigers: the Good, Bad and Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Whoever said he was a Jack Riewoldt clone was basically spot on. Way he flies at the footy and then the very simple goal kick action. Plays taller than he is for sure.
100%

Love the way he just attacks the contest and really leaps at the pill. It seems obvious but it’s a very underrated skill in football these days particularly with zoning, threading footy forward and waiting for someone to run to space as opposed to keeping your forward anchored and leading at the ball.

Can honestly say I didn’t rate anyone’s performance for the game as being genuinely good. Had no idea who they were going to give the medal to.

JVR’s last quarter the only standout.

On the ugly side, I’ve never seen a forward group continually running away from the kicker rather than leading up like we did on numerous occasions. Maybe the forwards know the ball is just going to get bombed over their heads if they do lead, but it’s seriously troubling for a group supposedly going for a premiership that the disconnect is so extreme.

Although I like the personnel in our forward line at the moment, for large sections of the game we did look poorly structured ahead of the ball.

Our two most dangerous forwards in Fritta and Kozzy couldnt find much space or impact. JVR was unsighted for 3 quarters, Max looked good at times, rusty at others and didnt finish any of his work, Petty still in and out of games but competed okay. Chandler dangerous and Nibs quite impactful with not a lot of ball.

But, there's been a lot of chop and changing. Need to give them time to gel. We've got a string of easy-ish games, so hopefully there's no injuries and we can get this group working together as there is potential there.

Although I like the personnel in our forward line at the moment, for large sections of the game we did look poorly structured ahead of the ball.

Our two most dangerous forwards in Fritta and Kozzy couldnt find much space or impact. JVR was unsighted for 3 quarters, Max looked good at times, rusty at others and didnt finish any of his work, Petty still in and out of games but competed okay. Chandler dangerous and Nibs quite impactful with not a lot of ball.

But, there's been a lot of chop and changing. Need to give them time to gel. We've got a string of easy-ish games, so hopefully there's no injuries and we can get this group working together as there is potential there.

Let’s be honest, Max looked like the only bloke up there with any forward craft for the first three quarters. And his kicking was abysmal.

At least with JVR and Petty when they spud it up they still put in a contest up forward. The other 2 don't. I think when you've got Brown, Tmac, JVR and Petty all struggling to get easy footy you can't blame the forwards. That's s**t work up the field and I know the 2 main culprits

Can honestly say I didn’t rate anyone’s performance for the game as being genuinely good. Had no idea who they were going to give the medal to.

On the ugly side, I’ve never seen a forward group continually running away from the kicker rather than leading up like we did on numerous occasions. Maybe the forwards know the ball is just going to get bombed over their heads if they do lead, but it’s seriously troubling for a group supposedly going for a premiership that the disconnect is so extreme.
Agreed. I'm actually shocked we've kicked the 2nd highest amount of pts this season. Our F50 set up is terrible and the delivery still even worse. Accuracy goes and we're in trouble. Literally relied on a 4th gamer and a 16th gamer to get us over the line. Fritta, Koz, Trac all very quiet last night.

Yeah it's kinda chicken and egg with our forwards atm. Are they running back because they know a long hack is coming, or are the long bombs forced because no one leads? Frustrating regardless and will be too ineffecient to be troubling the better teams.

Viney I thought was overall good. Fewer stinky moments than others, used the ball pretty smartly.

Agreed. I'm actually shocked we've kicked the 2nd highest amount of pts this season. Our F50 set up is terrible and the delivery still even worse. Accuracy goes and we're in trouble. Literally relied on a 4th gamer and a 16th gamer to get us over the line. Fritta, Koz, Trac all very quiet last night.

Our accuracy has gone through the roof. The one improvement this year is we’ve finally dropped the kick it to the boundary mentality which is giving us easier shots when we get them.

It's got be stated too that key forwards have never been less valuable in AFL history. The two best are probably Hawkins and Cameron, Hawkins type players don't exist anymore and Cameron is more of a superstar flanker than a 'key' forward.

Of the players who are true key forward size only 6 players are averaging more than 2.5 goals per game

J.Riewoldt (2.6)
Allen (2.7)
B.Brown (3)
Fogarty (3.2)
Curnow (3.5)
J.Cameron (4.5)

You need key forwards who can tackle, set up goals and stop the opposition marking cause reality is they ain't going to kick more than a couple goals most games.

We need the 1 or 2 best key forwards who set up the game to allow Fritsch, Chandler, Kozzy and Trac/ANB to do the most damage.

It's got be stated too that key forwards have never been less valuable in AFL history. The two best are probably Hawkins and Cameron, Hawkins type players don't exist anymore and Cameron is more of a superstar flanker than a 'key' forward.

Of the players who are true key forward size only 6 players are averaging more than 2.5 goals per game

J.Riewoldt (2.6)
Allen (2.7)
B.Brown (3)
Fogarty (3.2)
Curnow (3.5)
J.Cameron (4.5)

You need key forwards who can tackle, set up goals and stop the opposition marking cause reality is they ain't going to kick more than a couple goals most games.

We need the 1 or 2 best key forwards who set up the game to allow Fritsch, Chandler, Kozzy and Trac/ANB to do the most damage.
When you say the most damage, what are you referring to?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also another reason why we would be burning our future to put money and picks into Ben King. So much more help is need in other places

Saints on top of the ladder with Zayne Cordy and Caminiti as their tall forwards for most of the year.

They've been sound defensively so don't need to kick a score to win, but they've also had a real even contribution from their players with many of their players able to kick a goal or two and not needing bags from their FF/CHF.

Was really happy with that.
Heart pumping!

Sloppy game, bit of pressure, jack riewoldt kicks 4, team fell apart but regrouped and won it when most thought we’d thrown it away. Very good stuff!
Yeah pretty much this, dont really get some of the wrist slashing in here almost treating it as a loss.
I don't think the Tiges are as bad as their ladder position suggests, and they genuinely came out to play and their pressure was really good for most of the game. It was sloppy, and certainy wasnt our best perfromance but To be down by almost 5 goals and to come back like that is always a pretty good win.

I was there last night and the crowd was *ing fantastic. We've copped it a lot for supposedly not showing up and being quiet, I reckon dees fans have taken that to heart because every dees home crowd this year has been really good

Last edited:
Yeah pretty much this, dont really get some of the wrist slashing in here almost treating it as a loss.
I don't think the Tiges aren't as bad as their ladder position suggests, and they genuinely came out to play and their pressure was really good for most of the game. It was sloppy, and certainy wasnt our best perfromance but To be down by almost 5 goals and to come back like that is always a pretty good win.

I was there last night and the crowd was *ing fantastic. We've copped it a lot for supposedly not showing up and being quiet, I reckon dees fans have taken that to heart because every dees home crowd this year has been really good
it was good to get the 4 points. but in 3 out of 6 games we've been trash (bris, ess and rich). it's mostly the defensive stuff that we need to work on. Our forward line looks much for dangerous without Brown and TMac.

At least with JVR and Petty when they spud it up they still put in a contest up forward. The other 2 don't. I think when you've got Brown, Tmac, JVR and Petty all struggling to get easy footy you can't blame the forwards. That's s**t work up the field and I know the 2 main culprits

This is a big thing. I thought the same last night when neither of our key forwards did much offensively, but boy they try hard to keep the ball in the area. Chalk and cheese when compared to Brown and T Mac unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good : We won ( ugly)
: Great to see so many youngsters in Red and Blue .
: JVR gives a taste of what hopefully is to come .
Bad : The players mostly know the rules , the confusion is from various umpires interpreting them differently , often at the same game .

Ugly : Us trying to play fast football , work in progress i hope !

it was good to get the 4 points. but in 3 out of 6 games we've been trash (bris, ess and rich). it's mostly the defensive stuff that we need to work on. Our forward line looks much for dangerous without Brown and TMac.
Yeah, nah.
I don’t think we were trash last night, outside of the second quarter when the wheels fell off completely. Was a strong effort to get back in it with Trac and Oliver getting pantsed, kozzie and fritsch invisible, and monentum being gifted to the Tigers (or halted for us) by a few horrendous umpire calls. Loved Ed fumbling a ball (which cost us a goal) and picking himself straight up and dominating for a patch. Team showed a lot of character IMO.

Yeah, nah.
I don’t think we were trash last night, outside of the second quarter when the wheels fell off completely. Was a strong effort to get back in it with Trac and Oliver getting pantsed, kozzie and fritsch invisible, and monentum being gifted to the Tigers (or halted for us) by a few horrendous umpire calls. Loved Ed fumbling a ball (which cost us a goal) and picking himself straight up and dominating for a patch. Team showed a lot of character IMO.

Love #positivelingers so much. Never stops trying no matter what is happening around him.

Whoever said he was a Jack Riewoldt clone was basically spot on. Way he flies at the footy and then the very simple goal kick action. Plays taller than he is for sure.

Think hes stronger than Jack, I still see some Hawkins in him. Hes going to be a massive unit by the time hes 24-25

Think hes stronger than Jack, I still see some Hawkins in him. Hes going to be a massive unit by the time hes 24-25
Definitely stronger and a bit more mongrel, Jacks smart with his body use and positioning and a beautiful kick both sides. Comparison more with the ability to play taller than 193

Remove this Banner Ad

Back