Review Dees v the GWS Giants - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 3, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: We fixed up our set shot2 and Fritsh's 4.2 was a really solid effort this week. The percentage boost of a 9 goal this early in the season help solidify us in the 8. Tmac keeping his form and 20 of Oliver's 31 disposals were kicks good signs.

Bad: Defence weren't as solid as the first two weeks but poor kick from GWS still allowed us to have a good win.

Fugly: None of this has happened yet so I still have that sense of trepidation all will go to hell.

Good: I just like beating them, it's a s**t team with no soul.
Petracca was solid, Langdon should be in the conversation as the best wingman in the league, Pickett is going to end the year as the best small forward in the league, salem played a very solid game again.. gawn found some proper form, but really should have kicked 5 or 6. Hunt was decent again.

Bad. Lapses again keeping a wounded team in it. Injuries, would like to have seen GWS have a proper crack, and seen where we were at.. I don't like the false confidence. Oliver dealing with a tag. McDonald, that was a ripping chance to get yourself into some form and you looked lost.

Ugly: Injuries to GWS, would like to have seen GWS have a proper crack, and seen where we were at.. I don't like the false confidence we now have. Next week against Geelong will be a big test. Also ugly knowing how we will * up making finals from here.

Dermott is unbearable. He must perceive himself to have twice the IQ of anyone watching because he describes each play like he's explaining it to an Auskicker.

Yes, Perfect description .😂👍

Reckon we got lucky there with the GWS injuries. Still, amazing to be 3-0 despite bring a long way off our best imo.

Good:
Hunt’s best game for an eon.
Kozzie is legit.
Viney stepped up with Clarry subdued.
Brayshaw good signs on the wing.
Langdon very good as usual.

Bad:
Not switched on at the start.
Sloppy turnovers and dropped marks.

Ugly: Clarry’s inability to shake the tag in the first half

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reckon we got lucky there with the GWS injuries. Still, amazing to be 3-0 despite bring a long way off our best imo.

Good:
Hunt’s best game for an eon.
Kozzie is legit.
Viney stepped up with Clarry subdued.
Brayshaw good signs on the wing.
Langdon very good as usual.

Bad:
Not switched on at the start.
Sloppy turnovers and dropped marks.

Ugly: Clarry’s inability to shake the tag in the first half

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree that Viney lifted with his pressure and intensity after a few really flat efforts at the start.

I really like that even though Clarry was tagged out and Trac was solid but turned it over a lot with some looping sideways handballs we had options in the middle. Jordan, Kossie and Sparro running through and Jackson rucking gave us spark and some options. The wings adjusted and held length after the first qrt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
Kozzy - playing great footy at the moment and nailing his chances, his composure and decision making under pressure is great to watch
Maxy - his contesting marking is so good at either end, shame he butchered a few shots, huge influence overall
Salem - ball use was great
Langdon - huge work rate, plays within his limitations, great game
Trac & Viney - picked up the slack pretty well with Oliver tagged out the game in the first half

Bad:
Poor use inside 50 in the first half, blasting to outnumbers
Sparrow - was he playing? not a forward
TMac - just no
Nev - Greene is a very good player granted, but looked ready to tear nev a new one before a change was made, used to be his bread and butter playing on the dangerous smalls
Clarry - could not deal with the tag in the first half and lost his cool

Fugly:
GWS injuries, gotta think it had an impact on their ability to run out the game + important players lost

I think the GWS injuries will take a bit away from that win, so it's still difficult to say where we really are, but still some very encouraging signs. GWS came out fired up and playing extremely well, so I think we have to give the boys credit for steadying the ship for the second week in a row when it looked like the opposition was going to run away with it. Despite their fast start and their getting a couple of cheap goals along the way, we still had them level at half time before the injuries took their toll, so I think we were a decent shot to win that anyway. Second half, yeah the injuries kinda ruined the contest, but we still outscored them by 7 goals in a half, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Good:

- We're not counting on the same players every week. Everyone's had their moments in the first 3 weeks, and everyone seems to know what their role is. Could easily go into next week unchanged again, which is great considering the experience we have in reserve.
- I like the way that we've started to adjust the way we're playing in the middle of games, which we haven't been able to do very well under Goodwin. Very 2018-2020 vibes in the first quarter when we were bombing it to the top of the goal square, trying to lock it in and then allowing GWS to run it up the field without any pressure for easy goals (they kicked 5 goals from their first 7 inside 50s) but we adjusted well in the second by playing Lever as a sweeper who they couldn't get past, and by being a bit smarter with our delivery. Really missed Brown and Wiedeman in that first half with the Giants flooding back, but we adapted pretty well.
- Hunt played his best game for a while, and even if he butchers the ball occasionally you can see from tonight why he could be important for us if he can play like that.
- Langdon has got to be one of the best value recruits we've had in my time following this club.
- Gawn amazing. Salem really good again. Viney was great in the first half. Pickett is going to get some Cyril Rioli levels of hype over the next week.

Bad:

- Occasional hollywood s**t, like that Petracca handpass which gave the Giants the first goal of the last quarter. We're not that good yet, lads.
- McDonald couldn't get near it, but I think that was mostly because of the way the Giants were setting up. I think he still has a role to play in this team as a high, roaming half forward (like Nick Riewoldt in his later years) but he's clearly not a deep forward.

Ugly:

- Giants repeatedly staging for high frees. The league really needs to make sure that that kind of crap doesn't keep getting rewarded, because I'm noticing it more and more.

Good: commentary from all you lot in game day thread. No Kayo here so I really appreciate the insight and answering my questions.
A lot of funny people in here, that's the most 🤣 I've given in a game day thread. I suppose usually not in a situation to give lols.

Overall pretty happy with the win just need to be a lot cleaner next week.

Good:
Kozzy - playing great footy at the moment and nailing his chances, his composure and decision making under pressure is great to watch
Maxy - his contesting marking is so good at either end, shame he butchered a few shots, huge influence overall
Salem - ball use was great
Langdon - huge work rate, plays within his limitations, great game
Trac & Viney - picked up the slack pretty well with Oliver tagged out the game in the first half

Bad:
Poor use inside 50 in the first half, blasting to outnumbers
Sparrow - was he playing? not a forward
TMac - just no
Nev - Greene is a very good player granted, but looked ready to tear nev a new one before a change was made, used to be his bread and butter playing on the dangerous smalls
Clarry - could not deal with the tag in the first half and lost his cool

Fugly:
GWS injuries, gotta think it had an impact on their ability to run out the game + important players lost

Good call on Nev. But Goody deciding he's the one to play on Greene was the real problem. Horrible decision. Should have been May from the start.

Having said that, it might be time to give him a rest for Hibbo.

Good call on Nev. But Goody deciding he's the one to play on Greene was the real problem. Horrible decision. Should have been May from the start.

Having said that, it might be time to give him a rest for Hibbo.
Yep, Nev isn't really an attacking threat off half back either so if he's not able to lock down on a dangerous small I don't think he brings a lot to the table anymore. Would definitely put Hibbo in.

Yep, Nev isn't really an attacking threat off half back either so if he's not able to lock down on a dangerous small I don't think he brings a lot to the table anymore. Would definitely put Hibbo in.

I don't mind Nev being in the team but it's match up dependant now. He shouldnt be taking the teams number 1 small forward anymore.

UGLY
Our overwhelming mediocrity. Against a side like GWS we need to have the game over by half time if we are fair dinkum. Sides will always rise against us if we can't put them to the sword, which we can't.

Tmac, should struggle to get a game on that form

BAD
All GWS' injuries

Oliver cracking the shits with a tag. Dermie is a spud but he's right. Clarry, you're a gun. DW about a taggers nonsense. Just do your thing.

Lever and May. Defence in general.

Slow, slow ball movement. Too much holding it up. Hopefully that's a symptom of no Brown/Weidmann

Gerard Healy. Shut up.

GOOD
3-0 babayyyy!!
Max
Hunt, all round game and he lowered the eyes quite a bit.
Fritcsh not missing everything!

Jones played like a sensible 300 gamer

Viney was ON where we needed midfield leadership

Quick handballs hitting targets ! Essential to our attack

KOZZI. A player you genuinely get excited to watch. His pressure and finishing skills were unreal.

first off I’ll say, Big * you to Brent Daniels for doing nothing against anyone and then having a go against us, piss off and have fun playing well against the other 17 teams in the comp (rant).

Anyway, very decent win, the Giants came out strong and were up and about and we were a little rattled, but we settled and ended up controlling the game and winning from there.

Massive win, we were dominant in the 2nd half and the Giants forward efficiency flattered them, but we deserved the win and deserved to win well.

great win, 3-0 and let’s not stopfrom here, go dees!

edit: harsh on Brent Daniels here in hindsight.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back