Review Dees v the GWS Giants - the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 3, 2021

LarryDavidNeitz

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:
Pickett - how much more valuable is a 13 possession game with goals and clean disposal than, for example, Petracca’s game tonight.
Lever - Once you accept he’ll make a bad Clanger by foot every week and can ignore that, he’s bloody good.
Gawn’s second half
Hunt’s best game for a long time
Dermott Brereton - getting closer to the day that he totally loses his marbles and gets fired. A Real ‘found wandering around the streets dressed only in an open dressing gown trying to yell at passing motorists about young whatshisname Davey for the Demons’ candidate based on today’s performance

Bad:
Oliver
Jetta on Greene
TMac
Sparrow
Umpiring. Missed at least 8 obvious holding the balls and then gave us one which was a totally legit handball
Game style today. We’re so easy for opposition coaches to force into playing that way.

Ugly:
Midfield defensive pressure. Back to the worst of 19/20. Can’t stick a tackle and opposition just sliced through us when they moved quick. Stood out like dogs balls because forward tackling pressure was actually really good.
Manuka Oval centre wicket. terrible for AFL footy to have everyone on ice skates and falling over whenever they tried to make the slightest turn in that area.
Oliver’s goal kicking.
Jetta’s chances of playing many more games.
Commentary.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Right. More tonight then.

GOOD
Machine football. That’s what I have decided we are. If teams get a break on us, for better or for worse, the plan is the same. Bomb out of D50, use our runners (Langdon) if available, cause a stoppage if needed and repeat I50. Sure, it ain’t pretty, but we are 3-0.
Langdon
Hunt
Kozzy

Bad
Backline dealing with Greene
Too many passengers

Ugly
Oliver flat out getting mauled at every clearance and the umpires doing nothing. Club should complain. Absolutely shithouse.

Ew

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’m sorry he got hit in the head 3-4 times that I saw off the ball and nothing happened.
Nothing happened? He got a couple of the softest frees you'll ever see.
Sometimes a player has to do it himself. Can't cry for help just cause blokes won't let you play unopposed for once.

Imet Hassa

All Australian
Aug 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Apart from the obvious goods - been waiting so long to see a pair of headbands with flowing locks streaming down the wing together - so good. Have really wanted Hunt to do well this year. Seems happy which has not always been the case.
Really, the commentary reached extraordinary new lows tonight. Between the over reaching for bad puns on the female side to the idiotic over analysis and self righteous, opinionated crap on the male side, you find yourself pining for the wisdom of a Crackers Keenan.

Apart from the obvious goods - been waiting so long to see a pair of headbands with flowing locks streaming down the wing together - so good. Have really wanted Hunt to do well this year. Seems happy which has not always been the case.
Really, the commentary reached extraordinary new lows tonight. Between the over reaching for bad puns on the female side to the idiotic over analysis and self righteous, opinionated crap on the male side, you find yourself pining for the wisdom of a Crackers Keenan.
tumblr_ok7f4z2d9M1vbcnq8o1_500.gif

Gawn highlighting Oliver for "special praise" is good captains work im sure but massively cringe I must say.

Talk about handling someone with kid gloves. I didn't realise his ego was so fragile.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Gawn highlighting Oliver for "special praise" is good captains work im sure but massively cringe I must say.

Talk about handling someone with kid gloves. I didn't realise his ego was so fragile.
100%
That's picking up a bloke whos probably sulking around the rooms.

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles

Should at least have May as assistant captain. Probably would be too upsetting to viney though 🤦🏻‍♂️

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think both clubs would be well within their rights to ask the AFL about the umpiring in this game . Paying frees that were marginal , missing ones that seemed obvious , terrible performance from the umpires i thought .

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Huge from our coaching team to change the way the game was played early. Went from a zone defence to man on man, when we made the switch the Giants were out of the game. We smashed them, for the second week in a rown accurate kicking was the only thing that saved the other side.
Should get the lab up and try and work out whether we give away high quality chances, or teams have rode their luck. On balance we were 10 goals better than both GWS and Stkilda but inefficiency forward and some horrible mistakes down back cost us.
Lever Still scares the fu** out outta me, he can be brilliant for most of a quarter but his mistakes always seem to cost us goals.

We are seemingly commited to leaving the opposition have extras at the stoppage which i love. Dogs and Swans the 2 sides who could exploit it though.

Jayden Hunt was back, its almost like he remembered he wasnt tethered to an opponent and could run with the ******* ball.

Alex Neal Bullen is our best kick inside 50. Prove me wrong.

Luke Jackson best game for the club IMO, he had an actual influence on the game. I ******* love that he was taking more ruck contests and letting Max around the ground. Id argue Jacksons influence in the ruck is already the same as Gawn so why not use Gawns real strength which is his contested marking.

100 points again and game played on our terms for 3 quarters, we are either beating up on sh*t or on the verge of being really good. Not sure yet

Brayshaws game was pretty good, but fu** me dead a crocodile could side step him.

Sparrow get in the bin, I can see that he can play but are we trying to win or fatten the pig? How could Chandler or Melksham not add more.

Sparrow feels wasted but is working his butt off without the ball. He is giving us way more off the ball than Melksham would for example.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Sparrow feels wasted but is working his butt off without the ball. He is giving us way more off the ball than Melksham would for example.
Considering the mini resurgence of Jones and the Pig it's not beyond Melk.

hes had 28 disposals and 11 tackles this season.

33 year old Nat Jones has had 47, Sparrow really not impacting at all for us.

Considering the mini resurgence of Jones and the Pig it's not beyond Melk.

hes had 28 disposals and 11 tackles this season.

33 year old Nat Jones has had 47, Sparrow really not impacting at all for us.

New rules seem to be doing wonders for veteran players. Reckon they aren't being asked to cover as much of the ground, more space to work with so their lack of pace and endurance is paving those cracks.

Maybe a moot point since he did his hammy shortly after anyway but taking De Boer off Oliver to start the 3rd was an absolutely baffling coaching decision.
You could feel Oliver’s relief through the tv

You must have missed Ward getting into him prior to the third quarter opening bounce. Thought he was about to start crying.

Him and Oliver for such 'confident' kids are just that, kids. Neither of them want that pressure.

My post was in reference to Oliver kicking 2 behinds from 4 attempts at goal and G2B saying it was "4 shots on goal" to try and sexy it up.

100%
That's picking up a bloke whos probably sulking around the rooms.

Don't agree with that, not sure his body language indicates that kind of attitude?

Sure he throws his arms up when being held but he still had a crack up forward the rest of the game.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Good

Hunt - Good to have you back son. Keep it up.

Langdon - Gained over 900m. Wow! So consistent and continues to take a large amount of marks which shows he's finding space and we're looking for him. Love this guy.

Gawn - Took over the game and should have. Needs to back it up against strong oppo next week.

Lever - 16 intercept possessions! I don't think some people realise how f**ing good that is. I'll take a howler or two with this every match no worries. In AA form.

Viney - Was a workhorse when Oliver was down. Most tackles on the ground. Was super important.

Kozzy - What a star!

Goodwin - Changed tactics after quarter time, moved Oliver and Gawn around, got things back on our terms after a rough start. Deserves some praise.

Bad

TMac - Off night after 2 v good games. Not writing him off yet, but with Brown looming, he needs to do more than this.

Oliver - I like the way he went forward and got involved, but will have to get better dealing with a tag.

Trac - Solid game and maybe even an outside chance for a vote, but that game was for the taking for him. If he wants to be that Top 3 player, he has to take over these games like Dusty and Bont do.

Sparrow - Couldn't get involved much. Did a few nice 1%ers but surely we would be better off with Melk.

Ugly

Commentary - Nearly ruined the game for me. Underwood's commentary on Kozzy's brilliant 2nd goal was embarrassing. Ch 9 need to do something about it. It's bloody awful.

Back