Review Dees v the Handbaggers and the Dangerwank Media Circus: the Good, Bad & Fugly

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Also it's time to stop being bitches and tell Gawn to sprint forward to take a mark and kick a goal.

We have May and Lever down back, time for them to earn their pay and stop getting protected by Gawn pushing back. They can sort it out.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nothing positive about that today, that’s as bad as AFL football can get and our team was the worst team out there, this has the look and feel of Dean Bailey’s last year, a coach out of his depth and a playing list who knows it

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Nothing positive about that today, that’s as bad as AFL football can get and our team was the worst team out there, this has the look and feel of Dean Bailey’s last year, a coach out of his depth and a playing list who knows it
Not related to this thread at all, but who would we get as our next coach?

Lyon is available. I don't like his style, would much prefer a more attacking game plan, but he does know how to get the most out of an established list.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not related to this thread at all, but who would we get as our next coach?

Lyon is available. I don't like his style, would much prefer a more attacking game plan, but he does know how to get the most out of an established list.
I’m no fan of Lyon and I’m never an advocate of employing someone just because they are available but I have a feeling this is about to go off a cliff and as you say he does get a lot out of a list at least early on.

I think the problem is going to be financial, moving on from Goodwin is a non starter you would think, now more than ever

Would prefer if we were quietly talking to Leon Cameron behind the scenes right now given he doesn't have a 2021 contract rather than Ross Lyon. But like others have said, Goodwin's contract makes it awfully hard. We need some super rich supporter to ring the club and say they can't stand him and will pay him out if they give him the chop.

Got to be an experienced coach with a proven track record I reckon. I've had enough of first up assistant nuffies from every club that isn't Hawthorn.

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Got to be an experienced coach with a proven track record I reckon. I've had enough of first up assistant nuffies from every club that isn't Hawthorn.
Yep, Goody is done IMO. Our inside 50 efficiency is still horrible. Our disposal to the F50 is horrible. We can't develop or trade in a decent forward, and we've recruited far too many blokes who can't kick. And his selections are bizarre and game day coaching is poor. Keep Burgess, and talk to Ross Lyon or Brad Scott. Sick of seeing the same problems over and over again. Destined for bottom 4 yet again with Carlton, Kangas, Gold Coast, PA flying past us. And we dont even have a 1st rounder to look forward to! #FistedForever

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
TMac crashed endless packs.

He did more than enough. He was the lone tall target against one of the best defenses in the competition. What was he supposed to do? All a tall forward needs to do in a game like this is bring it to ground; what makes Hawkins such a great player.

Hawkins also took 7 marks and realistically should have kicked 3 goals, the difference between the two is Hawkins works up the ground and takes marks to release the pressure, McDonald has a huge aerobic capacity and should have worked himself up the ground more often to take those marks and have more of an impact.

He crashed some packs but 2 marks in a game of football from a big forward is pretty ordinary.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Charlotte Hornets
Hawkins also took 7 marks and realistically should have kicked 3 goals, the difference between the two is Hawkins works up the ground and takes marks to release the pressure, McDonald has a huge aerobic capacity and should have worked himself up the ground more often to take those marks and have more of an impact.

He crashed some packs but 2 marks in a game of football from a big forward is pretty ordinary.
Tomahawk can afford to work up the ground since he has Big Sav inside F50 too.

TMac has never had issues working up the field when Hogan was in the team.

+8 inside 50s
+9 clearances
+7 contested possessions

Another loss. Seriously, fu** this coaching panel. We are fundamentally broken and nothing will change with this group until we sack every ******* coach that has been there longer than 12 months.

Like I said, it's the most dysfunctional forward 50 I've ever seen. how bad we are at scoring goals? Most of our goals come from either luck, a free kick or opposition error. It's unbelievable.

I can honestly see a game this year where we go goalless ,it's that bad

Last edited:

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Tomahawk can afford to work up the ground since he has Big Sav inside F50 too.

TMac has never had issues working up the field when Hogan was in the team.

There is obviously a huge issue with the way Goodwin coaches the team in that aspect, no idea why we rarely don't utilize Gawn enough in by pushing him deep into the forward line and releasing TMac further up the ground.

Surely we have to bring in another Tall next week, as you said when TMac had Hogan he was certainly more of a presence.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Like I said, it's the most dysfunctional forward 50 I've ever seen. Unbelievable how bad we are at scoring goals. Most of our goals come from either luck, a free kick or opposition error. It's unbelievable.

yes our goals seem like a lot of hard work

Crusty Demon

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2009
Brighton
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Like I said, it's the most dysfunctional forward 50 I've ever seen. Unbelievable how bad we are at scoring goals. Most of our goals come from either luck, a free kick or opposition error. It's unbelievable.

Agree with this. It's quite possibly the worst Melbourne forwardline ive seen in my life. And we've had some shockers. We simply have to play Brown next week. We are desperate for a lead up FF.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
There is obviously a huge issue with the way Goodwin coaches the team in that aspect, no idea why we rarely don't utilize Gawn enough in by pushing him deep into the forward line and releasing TMac further up the ground.

Surely we have to bring in another Tall next week, as you said when TMac had Hogan he was certainly more of a presence.

our forward set up suggest we need to move the ball quick to space but at times we can get really bogged down unsure how much of this is us or the opposition

it seems we have relaxed the forward press and trying to launch more from the back half which means we can get bogged down more easily

Even aside from the losses, we're a horrible product, even our wins are unsatisfying and frustrating, we're just a completely broken football side.
100%. Completely disjointed football club. Lots of people will look back when Goodwin is gone and think "how did we let this happen again"? We have a top eight list for goodness sake.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
our forward set up suggest we need to move the ball quick to space but at times we can get really bogged down unsure how much of this is us or the opposition

it seems we have relaxed the forward press and trying to launch more from the back half which means we can get bogged down more easily
If we relaxed the forward press Cats wouldn't have been able to cut us to pieces like they did tonight.

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
100%. Completely disjointed football club. Lots of people will look back when Goodwin is gone and think "how did we let this happen again"? We have a top eight list for goodness sake.
Exactly.

I mean we probably lack a 2nd tall(Weed needed to be that guy who could kick 2 a game playing against the 2nd tall, a la Josh Bruce), but Tomlinson and Langdon have clearly filled a need for width.

That being said Pies make it work with Mihocek, and even with their rolls royce midfield he only kicks 1.5 a game. I honestly feel if the kicking inside 50 keeps trending upwards, Weed should be able to hit that.

And the defensive unit looks as strong as ever. Smith brings Frost's speed and athleticism without giving away soft frees one on one. Hibbo looked as good as he has in 3 years today. Rivers inexperienced but lots to work with there.

I'd go as far as to saying we have a top 4 list. I mean the mids didn't do great vs Carlton but we destroyed Eagles and Cats midfields. Oliver is the best in the comp at getting the footy at the coalface; and with Trac Gus Vines Harmes there's a fair bit of depth too.

Its just the stupid lack of structure and tactical nous that kills us. Imagine if we had a proper defensive setup and teams had to actually work hard to gain territory. We have all the tools to be a very strong territory side, noone wants to kick long down the line to Gawn May Lever and Smith.

We are 18th in the comp for defensive structure at stoppages(although this seems to be improving ever so slightly), 18th in the comp for defensive communication, but most of all 18th in tactics; the tactics make our defenders and mids look far worse than they are, because we're often defending with only 15 guys whereas opponents make use of all 18 of their players on the field.

Just lol'd watching the Goodwin press conference for a number of reasons but most of all that we have a sponsor in Hertz. So so apt as it certainly hertz to watch us play. So glad I went to work today instead of watching the game.

Last edited:
Did anyone at any point ever think Tomlinson would kick the goal? Not even for a nanosecond for me. Had he been playing for Geelong it would have sailed straight through but for us it was never going to happen.

saj_21

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Exactly.

I mean we probably lack a 2nd tall(Weed needed to be that guy who could kick 2 a game playing against the 2nd tall, a la Josh Bruce), but Tomlinson and Langdon have clearly filled a need for width.

That being said Pies make it work with Mihocek, and even with their rolls royce midfield he only kicks 1.5 a game. I honestly feel if the kicking inside 50 keeps trending upwards, Weed should be able to hit that.

And the defensive unit looks as strong as ever. Smith brings Frost's speed and athleticism without giving away soft frees one on one. Hibbo looked as good as he has in 3 years today. Rivers inexperienced but lots to work with there.

I'd go as far as to saying we have a top 4 list. I mean the mids didn't do great vs Carlton but we destroyed Eagles and Cats midfields. Oliver is the best in the comp at getting the footy at the coalface; and with Trac Gus Vines Harmes there's a fair bit of depth too.

Its just the stupid lack of structure and tactical nous that kills us. Imagine if we had a proper defensive setup and teams had to actually work hard to gain territory. We have all the tools to be a very strong territory side, noone wants to kick long down the line to Gawn May Lever and Smith.

We are 18th in the comp for defensive structure at stoppages(although this seems to be improving ever so slightly), 18th in the comp for defensive communication, but most of all 18th in tactics; the tactics make our defenders and mids look far worse than they are, because we're often defending with only 15 guys whereas opponents make use of all 18 of their players on the field.

if we only defend with 15, what and were are the other players?

Xhoquelin

Club Legend
Dec 4, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
if we only defend with 15, what and were are the other players?
Would need access to a replay but even when the Cats had an uncontested mark at half back we seem to have at least 3 forwards around the 50m line.

Back