Review Dees v the Handbaggers and the Dangerwank Media Circus: the Good, Bad & Fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Brothers, please share your thoughts after the game. It being away from the Handbaggery, I suggest Dees by 15 points. All power to Duckwood too as he edges ever closer to 1000 career free-kicks.

I think that's me done for the year, I could've done something enjoyable this arvo, but chose to watch the dees, and it was as unenjoyable as it has been for over a year now.

Even aside from the losses, we're a horrible product, even our wins are unsatisfying and frustrating, we're just a completely broken football side.

Will check the scores, but will do doing literally anything else with my weekends than watching us play.

Grim stuff.

Good: Pickett showed a bit. We had a bit of ticker to almost snatch it.
Bad: We still handball to people half a metre away in the 50 instead of having the balls to take a shot. Panicked when it was on the line.
Putrid: Goody’s shithouse ‘brand’ of football

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty good stuff overall, some improvement to come too. Bois look rusty because there was not much footballing to do last week obviously.
Hannan with a nice tackle.
Lever did one or two nice things, May did one or two nice things too and that's a combined total of about four nice things that they've done all year.
Some VERY nice moments from PIG Hibberd.

I think it is sad that our players are scared in the forward 50 they don't like kicking goals very much.

What are your thoughts about Lever and May - for apparently 800k a year Lever is horribly overrated or just out of form.

As for May - barks orders all the time and does nothing.

the game plan of Melbourne is appalling. Will never win games playing like that. where is the 2018 approach where they ran hard and moved the ball quickly - it was exciting to watch.

sitting with a Melbourne fan today watching who stated - give them the spoon....

Last edited:
Easily the most disfunctional forward line in the AFL, hard to believe it's actually worse than last year. Nobody is clean, nobody can mark, nobody can lead, nobody shepards or blocks for anyone else. Then you've got a guy who weighs 70kgs playing full forward who plays as if he believes he's 120kgs and a one on one beast.

Just a complete mess.

If I was our forward coach I'd quit out shame.

Good: Effort. I know its only 16 minute quarters but we came home very strong in the fourth through sheer effort really, that Tomlinson spoil on the wing and the Oliver tap that led to Gussy kicking the goal
Midfield looked a bit more cohesive

Bad: Forward line. Fritta, Milkshakes had some golden chances one out with the footy kicked to advantage, so sloppy. Need to be goalscoring threats for this mobile forward line to work. Because otherwise; Mitchy Hannan took a few and his kicking was good, Hunty ran nonstop trying to pressure their defenders, Kozzy gave us ground level presence and pressure. But we need Fritta and Milkshakes to give us 2 a game. Couldn't ask for much more from TMac.

Ugly: Goodwin's tactics. That forward press is nonexistent; Cats just chipped it between the zones with ease, but really they could've gone long every time and it still would've worked. Constantly had an outnumber ahead of the footy.

I'm done with Max Gawn as a captain already. Pathetic honestly.

He epitomises the team though; plays in patches, doesn't like taking advantage of favourable matchups, soft, under performs compared to his contract and skill level.

Perfect choice for Melbourne really, but call me Mr.fussy for wanting more from my captain.

Last edited:
I don't care who they pick but we need to play 2 key fwds we can't continue to play a bunch of HFF ever week.

My big concern in the coaching is we basically lose the same way been like that for long time can dominate large parts of the game win the inside50 count but our connection going forward is pathetic and i know its early but doesn't look like its improved.

Positives;

Hibbo and Hannan first up. Thought their intent was there throughout, unlike the majority.

Especially happy to see Hibbo still look like he has something left after thinking he might be just about to fall off a cliff.

I'm done with Max Gawn as a captain already. Pathetic honestly.

Optimises the team though; plays in patches, doesn't like taking advantage of favourable matchups, soft, under performs compared to his contract and skill level.

Perfect choice for Melbourne really, but call me Mr.fussy for wanting more from my captain.
Are you one of those people who hates Goodwin for not showing more emotion either?

4 Clearances. Clean as a whistle at ground level(best in the comp at ground level for a ruck outside of Grundy by far). 33 HOs.

Our mids literally shat all over a good midfield unit inside. Does Gawny get no credit for that?

Late game took a big mark forward; he's a reliable unit behind the footy too. If you're marking the Ratugolea goal against him; he got wiped out off the footy and the umps didn't pay it. It's not just Gawny who needs to run behind the footy, May Lever Smith should've all been on the goal line.

Are you one of those people who hates Goodwin for not showing more emotion either?

4 Clearances. Clean as a whistle at ground level(best in the comp at ground level for a ruck outside of Grundy by far). 33 HOs.

Our mids literally shat all over a good midfield unit inside. Does Gawny get no credit for that?

Late game took a big mark forward; he's a reliable unit behind the footy too. If you're marking the Ratugolea goal against him; he got wiped out off the footy and the umps didn't pay it. It's not just Gawny who needs to run behind the footy, May Lever Smith should've all been on the goal line.

Clean as whistle on the ground? There is no way you actually watched the game.

Positives;

Hibbo and Hannan first up. Thought their intent was there throughout, unlike the majority.

Especially happy to see Hibbo still look like he has something left after thinking he might be just about to fall off a cliff.
Our backline will be good if Nev can get some juice back. After the game May was talking to Hibbo about how he should've used the footy when he had it in defensive 50 with 2 mins on the clock; he communicates. Even if he's wrong its good to have someone who actually talks down back. Defenders need to get on the same page.

May Lever Smith(how strong is he at getting spoils in even after getting dusted by a lead) Rivers Nev Hibbo...might even be able to get rid of Lockhart; I love his composure and courage but he just doesn't have the defensive awareness to play down back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back