Review Dees v the ScoMo-ites: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't go on about how miserable you campaigners were all week, I'll save it til tomorrow :p

How good was that! Watched the first quarter, went to the comedy, recorded the game and got home avoiding the score. Have barely moved a muscle the last 90 minutes. So stoked with the effort there. The win is important, both for the ladder and because it gets harder and harder to win games - however good you are - when you lose a few in a row.

Jonesy - what a ******* captain. The disrespect (not the majority wondering if he's past it, fair call - the Dees 'supporters' questioning his character) was staggering. Dees legend.

Well done Dees :fire:

Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
LA Lakers,Chelsea F.C.
well ****, that's a relief. The game was won from a pretty clinical 3rd quarter, easily the best we've looked all year- we really choked Sydneys ball movement. Some tin arse goals in the 2nd kept us in it.

The great:
Getting Trac @ $31 for 1st goal.

- Salem gets better and better

Still plenty of room for improvement and a long way to go to get our season back on track but it's a step in the right direction.
Man, people sleep on Salem, what with him beiing in the Tyson, Kelly deal. He will be AA soon enough.
I know there are plenty of other people playing his role in better teams (im looking at you whitfield). Subjectively im going to say he's our best asset.

I had a multi on this game. Lets just say it didnt go my way

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I wasnt that impressed at all with the win to be honest.
I thought we learnt nothing in the first half conceding over 50 at half time again, and were let of the hook by some rubbish set shots and conversely saved by finding some rip in the space time in the one pocket where everyone was kicking goals.
The big difference in the 2nd half came because we were able to bottle them up inside our 50 and force them to dump it down the line. I just dont see it working on the bigger ground. We still couldnt defend that well at all once it got in there.

Oscar Mcdonald is ******* terrible, he hasnt won a single contest all year. Not spoiling, I mean not once has he out positioned an opponent to launch a counter attack. Hore did it a couple times already. Blessing in disguise Jetta being out, hes been shithouse all year.

Ball movement was alot more precise, loved the bit of play in the last when Brayshaw had it at 55 and instead of bombing long he chipped it to Salem who chipped it to Harmes... super simple play but something we dont do enough of.

Preuss experiment worked for me although he may aswell play sitting on a deck chair, campaigner cant move but he gave us much better structure ahead of the footy.

A win is a win is a win, but im not convinced we solved any of our issues just yet. Maybe this can be the springboard.

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Also am I the only one who thinks Olivers possessions have gone back to being largely ineffective this year? He has the lowest kick to handball ratio in our side. Maybe my standards are too high for him but I dont think hes anywhere near his AA form
I thought he and Gawn were our best.

I reckon you were on to something by being someone in the outside waiting to receive his little handballs. I see him as like a Simon Black type.

Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
How did I forget Preuss' first quarter? Absolutely Epic

He's the cult hero ruckman we've been missing since Paul Johnson

EDIT:View attachment 652644
44587575-6DFF-476C-9217-6FA163F10AA9.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
Anyway, on the match.

I thought the last half of the second quarter, then the 3rd and 4th quarters were pretty much domination by our midfield. The defence, although it did it's job, didn't really have that much to do really. The forward line and midfield defended so well that the backs didn't really have all that many inside 50s to deal with. I think the smaller ground clearly helped us clog it up in their forward line. And having Gawn stand in the centre circle (because Preuss was standing on the edge of the goal square) was able to pretty much stop any up-the-guts rebound that the Swans had. Good coaching for once.

That felt more like what we did last year. Even though the Swans had one or two good rebounds where Aliir Aliir took the game on and they carved us up, we had just as many attacks that were 3 kicks, 3 marks and then a shot on goal as well. Much better.

All that being said, looking at where the Swans missed some of their shots from, we certainly should have had to come from further behind. That was similar to games last year too though. There were so many games where we played well for a quarter and still won the game. But to go up to a ground where we haven't won at since the Wii was invented and Facebook became public and come from 22 down to win by 22, winning three quarters is a pretty good effort I reckon.

Particularly with a backline of OMac, Frost, Hore, Hibberd, Wagner, Fritsch. That is nowhere near our full strength back 6.

I still think TMac isn't moving well. His second efforts just aren't there. Not saying he isn't trying, just saying his body isn't allowing him to get from contest to contest. Looked like Preuss once the ball hit the ground.

Thought Jones was good and Viney, who I also still think isn't fit or is injured, did some good things too.

Oliver and Gawn were best on though with Salem, Trac and Hunt.

Really glad Hunt has had a couple of good games in a row and is hitting the scoreboard. Persist with him. He is difficult to match up on. 7 tackles and 2 goals is more than a pass mark. That is all he needs to do. There was also one excellent chase down that he won't get a stat for, but he affected the kick and we intercepted it. No one else in the comp would have made the ground to be able to affect that kick. That's why he's in the side.

Definitely not perfect, but away from home you take that 100 times over.

Preseason, we would have probably said we would/should win the first 2 or 3 and drop this one. So all is not lost yet, but really, really need to beat the Saints.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
I was at the game last night, prime spot on the centre wing.

Maybe it's because one does not have a close-up view of everything while attending a match live, however I felt that there were a lot less bone-headed blunders last night than the first 3 rounds - especially from S Frost. The reduction in these blunders goes a long way to ensure that morale is not lost by the team (and conversely, the opponent not getting a morale boost).

Seemed like a reversal of roles last night, with the Swans clearly dominant for the first 1.5 quarters yet squandering their chances, and Melbourne being efficient and hanging on. First quarter Melbourne smashed all over the ground for ball control. A lot of luck went Melbourne's way (eg. Petracca's 2nd goal, Preuss's snap goal and 55m goal, Hunt kicking straight instead of OOF, and Buddy's kicking being very off) which kept the team in the game when they were being threatened to be blown out of the water.

Good:
- Fantastic to get the first win for 2019;
- Improvement in composure going inside 50 - the team lowered the eyes a lot more this week;
- Oliver: 29 disposals from Q2 onwards, was cutting through the packs all over the ground. A lot of untidy disposals/choices, however his energy and movement were very important;
- Gawn: we have missed his contributions around the ground in the past few matches. He started showing glimmers in Q4 with his marking. Hopefully he can continue this. Regarding hit outs - while he accumulated a lot of them, he got sharked a lot - the team needs to work on capitalising on Gawn's ability to get the hit out;
- Preuss: felt he was the difference in the game, as his early goals resulted in the Swans defence having to pay him respect and keep tighter structures. The rest of the team just needs to kick the ball to his advantage...too many kicks wide of Preuss were just mopped up by Aliir and rebounded out.
- Jones: am hoping that this is a resurgence from the skipper as opposed to a death twitch. 2nd and 3rd goals were those marginal opportunities that really lift the team when converted.
- Hore: energetic around the ground. Hope he continues to get opportunities.
- Hunt: More 2017 Hunt please. His speed is so important for a team that generally lacks it.
- Fritsch: Mr Reliable. Flies under the radar, wonderful footskills and composure.
- Salem: The rich man's Fritsch. Another good performance.
- Weideman's set-shot: the Weid doesn't get much of the ball, but his kicking technique is so clean that he is a genuine chance anywhere up to 55m. That provides the team a lot of confidence.

Bad:
- Preuss's potential shoulder injury? Fingers crossed he is ok.
- Poor Q1 start. Lucky to get away with it.

No fugly this round, great to break a losing streak of 6 games.

Last edited:

Saw his interview post game on YouTube this morning, he's such a lad. A man's man. Cult hero written all over him.

I don't mean to slag Gawn after a good game but he can be very soft, Pruess is my kind of ruckman, looks to hurt people. Throws his massive frame around.

I was at the game last night, prime spot on the centre wing.

Maybe it's because one does not have a close-up view of everything while attending a match live, however I felt that there were a lot less bone-headed blunders last night than the first 3 rounds - especially from S Frost. The reduction in these blunders goes a long way to ensure that morale is not lost by the team (and conversely, the opponent not getting a morale boost).

Seemed like a reversal of roles last night, with the Swans clearly dominant for the first 1.5 quarters yet squandering their chances, and Melbourne being efficient and hanging on. First quarter Melbourne smashed all over the ground for ball control. A lot of luck went Melbourne's way (eg. Petracca's 2nd goal, Preuss's snap goal and 55m goal, Hunt kicking straight instead of OOF, and Buddy's kicking being very off) which kept the team in the game when they were being threatened to be blown out of the water.

Good:
- Fantastic to get the first win for 2019;
- Improvement in composure going inside 50 - the team lowered the eyes a lot more this week;
- Oliver: 29 disposals from Q2 onwards, was cutting through the packs all over the ground. A lot of untidy disposals/choices, however his energy and movement were very important;
- Gawn: we have missed his contributions around the ground in the past few matches. He started showing glimmers in Q4 with his marking. Hopefully he can continue this. Regarding hit outs - while he accumulated a lot of them, he got sharked a lot - the team needs to work on capitalising on Gawn's ability to get the hit out;
- Preuss: felt he was the difference in the game, as his early goals resulted in the Swans defence having to pay him respect and keep tighter structures. The rest of the team just needs to kick the ball to his advantage...too many kicks wide of Preuss were just mopped up by Aliir and rebounded out.
- Jones: am hoping that this is a resurgence from the skipper as opposed to a death twitch. 2nd and 3rd goals were those marginal opportunities that really lift the team when converted.
- Hore: energetic around the ground. Hope he continues to get opportunities.
- Hunt: More 2017 Hunt please. His speed is so important for a team that generally lacks it.
- Fritsch: Mr Reliable. Flies under the radar, wonderful footskills and composure.
- Salem: The rich man's Fritsch. Another good performance.
- Weideman's set-shot: the Weid doesn't get much of the ball, but his kicking technique is so clean that he is a genuine chance anywhere up to 55m. That provides the team a lot of confidence.

Bad:
- Preuss's potential shoulder injury? Fingers crossed he is ok.
- Poor Q1 start. Lucky to get away with it.

s.

Glad I wasn't the only one who thought Frita was fantastic last night, Salem getting a lot of love but I though Fritsch was easily better.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Glad I wasn't the only one who thought Frita was fantastic last night, Salem getting a lot of love but I though Fritsch was easily better.

Fritsch is incredible one on one when the balls on the ground. He is so so smart with how he uses his body. I think he will be a better player than Salem. He's a better defender and a much better mark.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

He might have been the difference in the first quarter if we're being generous, but the game... come on. We can't hit our more mobile forward targets so we're even less likely to put them lace out to advantage for Preuss. The guy was moving like he was on tranquilizers in the second half and was pretty much useless from quarter time onwards until he got a token go in the ruck once the game was in the bed in the fourth quarter. Don't see how we can play a hobbled TMac, Weideman and Preuss in the same forward line.

Fritsch is incredible one on one when the balls on the ground. He is so so smart with how he uses his body. I think he will be a better player than Salem. He's a better defender and a much better mark.

I'm a massive Salem fan, so if Frita becomes that good I'd be stoked.

He set up so many rebounds for us last night, a lot of the time in dangerous situations, he's a very confident player, in the first quarter last night he took on Franklin in the back pocket and sidestepped him with ease. Go's for kicks that most wouldn't try. He'll make some errors ocassionally but we desperately need him back there while Hibbo slowly works his way back into some form, his kicking has been terrible this year. (Much better last night though than what it had been over the first three rounds)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back