Review Dees v the ScoMo-ites: the Good, Bad & Fugly - Rd 4, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Preuss' work rucking in the forwardline gave us a new weapon and Gawn was able to spend more time behind the footy taking defensive marks in the second half. Preuss has limitations but our structure/spine clearly improved from him being there.

Yep, that's a decent point and I agree that did help a bit, but would like to see more than one game's evidence against some really ordinary opposition on a small ground before we go giving the tick to this big, lumbering droog.

Yep, that's a decent point and I agree that did help a bit, but would like to see more than one game's evidence against some really ordinary opposition on a small ground before we go giving the tick to this big, lumbering droog.

Pruess is Cannon's new Melksham 😂

? Structually he made a huge difference and took a lot of the pressure off TMac and Weid. Good to have some pressence in the forward line, especially if we are determined to keep bombing it in.

Gawn has always struggled a bit vs physical ruckman throughout his career, skill set has nothing to do with it.

He was a presence in the first quarter, spent a fair chunk of the second off, and was present in the third and fourth while doing the cube root of very little. As I said before, I'd like to see this work for us for more than one game and on bigger grounds against better opposition before crowning another glacially slow target man in the forward line.

I'm sure lots of ruckmen struggle against physical ruckmen, but Gawn was fine last year on his onesy for most of it, and I'm sure he can manage again if needed. We don't need a second ruckman - we need our key defenders to start taking marks and we need our tall forwards to find form and the footy. I'm not sold on Preuss as an answer to anything yet.

Pruess is Cannon's new Melksham 😂

The more people talk up a decent 10 minutes of football as being the next coming, then he surely will be. Because he's a s**t player.

The more people talk up a decent 10 minutes of football as being the next coming, then he surely will be. Because he's a s**t player.

Yessssss, that's it, mmmmmmm, keep talking about Pruess like that...... since it worked so well for us with Jake 😉

Yessssss, that's it, mmmmmmm, keep talking about Pruess like that...... since it worked so well for us with Jake 😉

What worked with Milkshakes? He's been awful since day one.

He was a presence in the first quarter, spent a fair chunk of the second off, and was present in the third and fourth while doing the cube root of very little. As I said before, I'd like to see this work for us for more than one game and on bigger grounds against better opposition before crowning another glacially slow target man in the forward line.

I'm sure lots of ruckmen struggle against physical ruckmen, but Gawn was fine last year on his onesy for most of it, and I'm sure he can manage again if needed. We don't need a second ruckman - we need our key defenders to start taking marks and we need our tall forwards to find form and the footy. I'm not sold on Preuss as an answer to anything yet.

For how dominate Gawn is I hold grave fears about him mentally when challenged phyically. Everyone talks about how bad the back lne was in the prelim vs WCE, but Gawn checked out of that game very early. Once he gets rattled it's over, and having him one out as a ruckman when he is ruins us. I'm amazed no one has tried it since Lycett owned him again in round 1 this year.

For how dominate Gawn is I hold grave fears about him mentally when challenged phyically. Everyone talks about how bad the back lne was in the prelim vs WCE, but Gawn checked out of that game very early. Once he gets rattled it's over, and having him one out as a ruckman when he is ruins us. I'm amazed no one has tried it since Lycett owned him again in round 1 this year.

Meh, not going to keep going over the same points. We've been diabolical early this year and weren't much better last night. Gawn had bad days at the office against Lycett, against old mate from Geelong who is not a physical ruckman, and against Bellchambers / Clarke who are barely ruckmen at all. Almost everyone has been shite for the first three rounds so I'm not reading much into that until (if?) we finally start stringing some form together and playing like a finals side.

The Dees are back..Loved their defense work / structures early on..they didn't play anywhere near loose as last week..stuck at it and it paid off..you guys smashed it out of the park re: ruck 73-13 (are you kidding?)..Nathan Jones was outstanding... one of the best games I've ever seen him play..that second quarter effort.. unbelievable...Pruest's early goals were pretty groovy to....enjoy some pics I took during / after the game..

gweb.jpg

n2.jpg

1m.jpg

h1.jpg

Last edited:
Preuss has a four year deal, so presumably the next couple of years will be about getting him as fit as Max. Whatever they were doing with him at North was clearly wrong.

We just need to get the right small forwards around him as well.
This is why I think if Garlett isn't getting a game now, he ain't ever getting one. It's not as if Spargo has been tearing it apart, and Lockhart has been at the club for 5 seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Preuss will also help keeping Gawn fresher as well, as well as helping to smash up some of the opposing rucks. Max unfortunately is not the aggressive physical-contact relishing type, and agreed that opponents will try and rough him up more this year, especially if Preuss is not around.

Preuss will also help keeping Gawn fresher as well, as well as helping to smash up some of the opposing rucks. Max unfortunately is not the aggressive physical-contact relishing type, and agreed that opponents will try and rough him up more this year, especially if Preuss is not around.
This is what I don’t get: why can’t people see what Preuss does for our rucks as a unit, and that he doesn’t have to be Max Gawn 2.0 to be worth a spot in the team. He kicked a couple, smashed a couple of Sydney players, and made Max Gawn walk (and play) like he was 2 feet taller so he was easily the best player on the ground. Lockhart or ANB’s output wouldn’t have got near that, even on their best of days.

Congratulations on the win.

Here are the midfield frequency stats from the match. In case you missed one of these posts from the 2nd half of last season, this is an overall summary of how often players started as one of the 5 mids at centre bounces.

Overall Summary - 30 Bounces

Harmes 26 (3w)
Jones 24 (18w, 6i)
Oliver 24
Stretch 20 wing
Viney 20
Brayshaw 16 (12i, 4w)
C.Wagner 15 wing
Petracca 4
Melksham 1

Rucks:

Gawn 25 (Sinclair 22)
Preuss 3 (Reid 8)
Weideman 2

1st Half - 18

Harmes 16 (1w)
Jones 14 (12w, 2i)
Oliver 14
Stretch 14 wing
Viney 12
Brayshaw 8 (1w)
C.Wagner 8 wing
Petracca 3
Melksham 1

Gawn 15
Preuss 1
Weideman 2

2nd Half - 12

Harmes 10 (2w)
Jones 10 (6w, 4i)
Oliver 10
Viney 8
Brayshaw 8 (3w)
C.Wagner 7 wing
Stretch 6 wing
Petracca 1

Gawn 10
Preuss 2

Notes:
Corey Wagner replaced Stretch as first choice winger for the last, though I suspect this was solely due to Stretch coming off the 5 day break.

We don't need him to ruck more against potatoes, Gawn will do just fine on his own like he did last year. Preuss will be more use as a forward, providing he can prove his first quarter effort last night was more than a flash in the pan.
He’s no flash in the pan. He’s a clear football genius that Norf we’re fools to let go. Appreciated as the glittering diamond he is will unleash the flood of talent.

Watching in bed and Marty kicks the ball out on the full in the last, wake up the missus by yelling "******* Hore". Still he played a good game.

Game felt in hand in the last 10 minutes, most 2018 feeling i've had this season with Gawn clunking in the centre. Having Preuss up forward works great to get the ball to the deck, although still too many wild swings into the 50 (want a mark more often).

Lost my s**t when Hore did that

SCG gets a lot of hate (mostly for the condition of the ground I guess), but I love that place. Small, which seems good for us, and looks great on tv.

SCG gets a lot of hate (mostly for the condition of the ground I guess), but I love that place. Small, which seems good for us, and looks great on tv.
SCG has maintained it's heritage well, imo MCG is great and my fav ground, but they gutted it a little when they took the old MCC members stand out. Still hold's it's history when you walk in, but imo it can be a little faceless these days, it's kinda just a big cauldron, but it's ours!

SCG has maintained it's heritage well, imo MCG is great and my fav ground, but they gutted it a little when they took the old MCC members stand out. Still hold's it's history when you walk in, but imo it can be a little faceless these days, it's kinda just a big cauldron, but it's ours!
I wish we had our own 30k seat stadium, even one shared with North.
It really sucks watching a 3 quarter empty stadium most weeks.

I wish we had our own 30k seat stadium, even one shared with North.
It really sucks watching a 3 quarter empty stadium most weeks.

We’ve been at the G since 1860. Whatever extra atmosphere a small ground would get would come at the cost of the clubs soul. We also draw more than 30 most home games

Remove this Banner Ad

Back