Review Dees v the Sook & his Purple Mates: the Good, Bad & Fugly with a GAGF to Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
When is the Melk back? This season?
I was wondering the same. I checked the last injury update from the club. All you can get from it is that they aren't prepared to commit themselves to his return at any point, this season or ever.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Strange ass game, we absoloutely pumped them in every part of the game but our forward line sucks. It's not even just that Tmac is out of form it's that our small forwards can't kick goals from half chances. They don't crumb well and don't get separation.

Strange ass game, we absoloutely pumped them in every part of the game but our forward line sucks. It's not even just that Tmac is out of form it's that our small forwards can't kick goals from half chances. They don't crumb well and don't get separation.

Thought this improved as the game went on. We got our transition game going which kept our forward line open so we actually had free players and weren't just bombing to a pack like usual.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good - Seeing some of our senior players standing up when the chips were down .
- Actually playing smart football in the last quarter when we needed too .
- Seeing the smirk on Jones face after he dropped Walters (Imo he knew exactly what he was doing )
- May acting like a leader of the back line .
- Frost being Frost
- T-Macs last q will do him the world of good .
- Viney being Viney
- Winning
Bad - Hogan , really hope he can get over whatever he has injured , he has been through more than enough .
Ugly - I really dislike modern TV commentators , they only tell you what you can already see on the screen . Bwuce sounds like he is wanking, Darcy , Ugh , and basil ffs,
- Umpires , no one would complain if you payed the same frees all the time to both sides , but to pluck one for one side and not for the same thing
on the other side is what is driving fans mad. Just be ******* consistent you maggots .
- Goodwins' after match Video for MFC . Just stop pls .

Last edited:

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good - Seeing some of our senior players standing up when the chips were down .
- Actually playing smart football in the last quarter when we needed too .
- Seeing the smirk on Jones face after he dropped Walters (Imo he knew exactly what he was doing )
- May acting like a leader of the back line .
- Frost being Frost
- T-Macs last q will do him the world of good .
- Viney being Viney
- Winning
Bad - Hogan , really hope he can get over whatever he has injured , he has been through more than enough .
Ugly - I really dislike modern TV commentators , they only tell you what you can already see on the screen . Bwuce sounds like he is wanking, Darcy , Ugh , and basil ffs,
- Umpires , no one would complain if you payed the same frees all the time to both sides , but to pluck one for one side and not for the same thing
on the other side is what is driving fans mad. Just be ******* consistent you maggots .
- Goodwins' after match Video for MFC . Just stop pls .

You liked Jones giving up a two goal turnaround with his bump on Walters?

Agree with the rest but that’s just crazy. Could’ve cost us the game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

Was incredibly reckless and ill-diciplined of him, and I was annoyed at the time, but I must confess I had some sympathy also and a small part of me gave him a mental thumbs-up. I feel I would have been tempted to punch the bloke, and I’m an extremely un-punchy person.

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne

No the act itself was dumb , i just liked the smirk on Jones face as he trotted back. I also thought the resulting goal out the back could of been defended
better , but we won anyway so it doesn't matter now .

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
What about kicking May all season when he's out injured ?
No comparison, I’ve taken no pleasure in watching May turn up fat and unfit then get suspended and I absolutely want him to be something he’s never been an elite AFL key defender, but even if he does I’ll always feel the club gave up way to much for a bloke that couldn’t finish in The top 10 of GC b&f last year.

I do find it petty that Melbourne supporters enjoyed watching Hogan get injured, I’ve never understood the hate and to be honest it baffles me, but he doesn’t play for my club so while I feel sorry for him and take no enjoyment I won’t loose an sleep either.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
No comparison, I’ve taken no pleasure in watching May turn up fat and unfit then get suspended and I absolutely want him to be something he’s never been an elite AFL key defender, but even if he does I’ll always feel the club gave up way to much for a bloke that couldn’t finish in The top 10 of GC b&f last year.

I do find it petty that Melbourne supporters enjoyed watching Hogan get injured, I’ve never understood the hate and to be honest it baffles me, but he doesn’t play for my club so while I feel sorry for him and take no enjoyment I won’t loose an sleep either.

Quote a post where that happened

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne

Who has enjoyed watching Hogan get injured?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good:
Winning - makes the world feel good again.

Team spirit - I don’t think you need to be a pack of campaigners to succeed at sport. However, sometimes such behaviour is the manifestation of a team that plays with intensity, aggression and for each other. Even though it was ill timed and potentially costly, Jones remonstrating with Walters was the captain of the team saying that IDGAF who you are, you can’t headbutt a first year teammate on my watch and expect no retaliation.

Coaching shake up - Goodwin and co have deserved a kicking this year but the team played with a lot more skill and composure rather than just rushing into contests and dump kicking/hand balling blindly. There was a concerted effort to control the ball and tempo of the game.

The strugglers - T Mac, Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Fritsch and Brayshaw have all been (quite fairly) maligned at different stages this year. All were fantastic.

May - love his aggression and skill. If he can stay on the park he will be a hell of an asset.

Frost - I am an admitted sceptic, however, he plays football the same way Glenn Maxwell plays cricket. When he pulls it off it looks like breathtaking genius, when it fails he looks a lunatic.

Lockhart - doesn’t fumble and made some beautiful pick ups from awkward situations.

T Smith - works his arse off. Nice to see him hit the scoreboard and not cop an unlucky injury.

Bad:
We still cough up too many easy goals. Freo scored plenty from the square, out the back and had pretty easy set shots.

Efficiency - seems like we bossed a lot of the game but only really managed to break through in the last. We still win a lot of territory and contested ball for little scoreboard impact.

Too little, too late - composure cost us against Adelaide and West Coast and would’ve given us a chance against Essendon. We’ve been too slow to learn.

Fugly
Walters - love him as a player but that s**t was poor. His play acting was pretty close to causing a significant melee.

Fyfe’s sleeve - * off to the NBA with that garbage.

Matera and Conca - almost making a run for the Kingsley if they had’ve won.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who has enjoyed watching Hogan get injured?
Your mate did post about extreme pleasure seeing Hogan done for the day.

More than one fellow supporter was a bit too pleased where I was standing on Saturday as well, but you have to take my word for that for what it’s worth.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
No the act itself was dumb , i just liked the smirk on Jones face as he trotted back. I also thought the resulting goal out the back could of been defended
better , but we won anyway so it doesn't matter now .

I think Jones did it intentionally. To Galvanize the team. Just as it did. I think Goody and Jones were having a chuckle about it, after the game.
Jones was smiling from the time he bumped Walters, and all the way through, as Freo players rushed in to remonstrate.
This caused Salem and Fritta to jump in and get involved physically, which was good to see. They flew the flag for one another. And the team rallied to the cause.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
Team spirit - I don’t think you need to be a pack of campaigners to succeed at sport. However, sometimes such behaviour is the manifestation of a team that plays with intensity, aggression and for each other. Even though it was ill timed and potentially costly, Jones remonstrating with Walters was the captain of the team saying that IDGAF who you are, you can’t headbutt a first year teammate on my watch and expect no retaliation.

Exactly. Flew our colours High did Jonesy. He showed his commitment, and the team followed his lead, and it changed the game our way. Maybe cost us one, initially, but the attitude and energy flowed from that point.
We took control of the game by the scruff.

Dec 15, 2008
Voyager 1
AFL Club
Melbourne
The strugglers - T Mac, Oliver, Viney, Petracca, Fritsch and Brayshaw have all been (quite fairly) maligned at different stages this year. All were fantastic.

What a breath of fresh-air, it was to see Petracca putting in with intensity. Its been missing from far too many of his career games to date. He's been like a sheep.
But this week, he stood up to be a man. a player. and to be counted. This game he made a difference, by making his own statement on the game.

Last edited:

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
What a breath of fresh-air, it was to see Petracca putting in with intensity. Its been missing from far too many of his career games to date. He's been like a sheep.
But this week, he stood up to be a man. a player. and to be counted. This game he made a difference, by making his own statement on the game.

If he played more games like this he would be a real asset to our team, not surprisingly he plays better in the midfield.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Loved Fritsch on a wing and Jones at HBF, if we can talk about the structures for a moment.

Fritsch still fluffed a few kicks but some of his passes inside 50 were sublime. We need him kicking to a forward's lead, as he's up with with our best behind Melk at the most important kick in modern football. We need him to be playing with a little more freedom instead of worrying about defence all the time, as he's a beautiful kick and mark of the footy - he had a few lovely sidesteps too.

Jones too had some good moments at half back. Although he isn't great in the air, he's still a bloody smart player and a few times he used his body really well to set up play. That shimmy at CHB and release to Frost that ended up in the Smith goal was silk. I feel like with May and Frost back there with him we now have some good leg speed in the back half and can cover for Jones' lack of express pace. He looked to be directing play quite well too.

EDIT: +1 for Jones running through Walters. Definitely worth it in some sense.

Back