Review Dees v the Sook & his Purple Mates: the Good, Bad & Fugly with a GAGF to Ross Lyon

Remove this Banner Ad

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
The Good

A win!

The Bad
Shocking turnovers

The ugly
Me claiming Freo at $2.58 on Sportsbet was free money
Were Freo really paying $2.58 to win this? What the *?! Luckily I didn't know or I would have lost $100 for sure. Don't bet often but last time I did was when St Kilda were paying similar odds to beat us in late 2016. Back in the days where they always beat us with Riewoldt running around unmanned. Doubled my money!

But seriously, we had won the single game at the MCG this season (luckily too, thanks Wingard), looked like porridge in all the others. Freo have the most inform player in the league and won against Collingwood here recently. Bizarre.

thedank

All Australian
Mar 2, 2019
Meth City
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Perth
Was so good to see Frost carve it up in the last, i always thought he had a bit of x factor about him regardless of some bonehead decision making. Mays short sharp stab passes were fantastic as well, very composed.

Just quietly, how much better does the backline look without omac? :rainbow:

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I was pretty drunk off Goose Island IPA 500ml cans by the end but I seem to remember Frost playing like an absolute lunatic in the last quarter? Like as good as he's ever played. Don't ever change Frosty! (Well do change, by turning it over less)..

The Jones thing was really really stupid. Walters is a doyen of manipulating contact and dropping to the ground like a sack of spuds. Just don't go near him. Or at least clap in his face or pat him on the back if you want to remonstrate. Jones showed a lack of opponent awareness.

With hindsight, the May for pick 6 trade was looking like a disaster, but after seeing him play the past two weeks, I think it could work out. A lot depends on if the team can challenge again, but he's exactly what we needed last year. Pick 6 is just a lottery ticket and Ben King looks nothing special to date. Even KK might come good too.

stEdy

Premiership Player
Nov 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I loved Vineys game, he had that explosiveness back and I think the niggle in the game worked to his/the team's favour. I've said it before but we play better when there's physical heat in the match, it gets our contested game going and our tail's up.

There was one contest in the middle in the last Q where Viney bulldozed a number of Freo players. Hes also been working hard onto the wings and taking marks the last month which is great for him, as it means he's getting a healthier balance to his disposals. It also helped that Jones stayed at HBF, Brayshaw used the footy well on the outside and Harmes was playing a close checking role - our midfield looked much more balanced and Viney took it on himself to lift after Freo led by Fyfe started the game on fire around the contest.

More games like this please Viney

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
People knocking Petty on his game might want to hold fire. Kid embraces body contact and can take a mark. I daresay hes keeping OMac out of the team for the rest of the year. Ive watched Petty at Casey for a couple years now and i have no doubt he will be a very good backmen for the dees for a long time.
I agree. I can wear the odd stuff up, apart from a horror debut against the Saints - I can see a lot worth persisting with.
However, his issue in the short-medium term is that he sits behind the likes of Frost, Lever, May and Hore. Can barely fit them all in the same side without adding Petty also.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
People knocking Petty on his game might want to hold fire. Kid embraces body contact and can take a mark. I daresay hes keeping OMac out of the team for the rest of the year. Ive watched Petty at Casey for a couple years now and i have no doubt he will be a very good backmen for the dees for a long time.

The fact he can actually go for an intercept mark is enough for me to play him over Omac.

Nov 13, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Melbourne
I agree. I can wear the odd stuff up, apart from a horror debut against the Saints - I can see a lot worth persisting with.
However, his issue in the short-medium term is that he sits behind the likes of Frost, Lever, May and Hore. Can barely fit them all in the same side without adding Petty also.
Petty's hands are quite strong and he just shows glimpses like his saving mark in the last quarter.

With Hore, Lever, May and Frost already set down back, I really wonder is it worth trying him up forward? 197cm who's a strong mark and a good accurate kick of the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
May plays well
Frost plays well
Tmac plays well

Hogan has a s**t house quarter then is done for the day. Gave me extreme pleasure to watch may be vital to a win while Hogan was injured again. 00Stinger Demon bhoy are gonna go missing again.

I actually felt bad for Hogan seeing him shaking on the bench, poor campaigner looked like he was struggling

May plays well
Frost plays well
Tmac plays well

Hogan has a **** house quarter then is done for the day. Gave me extreme pleasure to watch may be vital to a win while Hogan was injured again. 00Stinger Demon bhoy are gonna go missing again.

I actually felt bad for Hogan seeing him shaking on the bench, poor campaigner looked like he was struggling
Not missing at all.

TMac had an awesome 2nd half, if he plays like that consistently I will be happy. May was solid without being spectacular.

I don't know about being happy that Hogan got injured, pretty s**t tbh.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not missing at all.

TMac had an awesome 2nd half, if he plays like that consistently I will be happy. May was solid without being spectacular.

I don't know about being happy that Hogan got injured, pretty **** tbh.

Was surprised to see TMac had something like 20 touches to half time, thought his first half was poor and he was pretty much playing as a decoy for Tim Smith. Definitely much better in the second half, though.

Demon bhoy

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
May plays well
Frost plays well
Tmac plays well

Hogan has a **** house quarter then is done for the day. Gave me extreme pleasure to watch may be vital to a win while Hogan was injured again. 00Stinger Demon bhoy are gonna go missing again.

When did I go missing the first time? and trying to point score when a bloke gets injured very petty

Was surprised to see TMac had something like 20 touches to half time, thought his first half was poor and he was pretty much playing as a decoy for Tim Smith. Definitely much better in the second half, though.
Yep the same.

When I saw he had 19 touches i was amazed

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back