Review Dees v the Tigers: the Good, Bad & Up the Clacker

Remove this Banner Ad

Good: very little. Petracca. Hibberd, Fritsch, Hannan, Pickett and T McDonald had a few good moments.
3 goals in the first and last, floodgates open!

Bad:
Gawn - stop it, stop getting in the way at ground level, stop kick chasing, stop pretending you’re a precision kick, start marking the ball, start rocking forward as a tall target and when they have possession get in a position to intercept their out kick. 5 marks, 2 kicks, 5 handballs and a goal playing like the above is far more valuable than the stat padding nonsense that you are pulling now.

Harmes - not a defender

Lockhart - see Harmes

Hunt - the art of being where the ball isnt.

Lever - looking almost like the worst ‘big name’ recruit since Craig Turley.

Salem - feel like he could be a star at another if they can scrub the Melbourne off him. Basically an underachiever who seems content to cruise.

Brayshaw - see Salem.

Smith - just a poor footballer, basically a low rent Frost. Less entertaining, more of a bombscare

Tomlinson - low rent T Mac

vandenBerg - another poor game.

Fugly
Viney and Oliver - stat padding turnover merchants who are easy for the opposition to get on top of - any small level of pressure will see them turn it over by foot or hot potato handball to a teammate under even more pressure. The opposition would know that Oliver’s first instinct is to handball so put physical pressure on him and block the short spaces in front and he’ll handball backwards or sideways to a stationary target. With Viney simply coral his left side so he has to run wide and kick sideways. Basically let them get first touch and set up for the turnover. Easy peasy.

Both of them should be dropped.

Gawn "We're gonna aim to win every single one of the next 5 games"

So what have we been doing the previous 5?

Would have preferred if he had said " We are going to try and score more than 60 points once in our next 5 games"

Small steps please, tiny dancer.

At least we won’t have to worry about Trac and Oliver next year except when we play whatever team they’re playing for.

Would have preferred if he had said " We are going to try and score more than 60 points once in our next 5 games"

Small steps please, tiny dancer.
He obviously doesn't believe in miracles and knows the game plan is too putrid to achieve that sort of success

I’d like see the coaches try a few things.

Play weideman and rest Gawn forward
Try Oliver/Viney forward - allow trac and harmes to be the kicking kids
Give Salem some midfield minutes
Gus seems to play his best with more time on ground

It’s to decide if the forwards are not good enough or it’s the mids horrible kicking. I think it’s the mids predominantly poor kicking not giving our forwards to best chance

I’d like see the coaches try a few things.

Play weideman and rest Gawn forward
Try Oliver/Viney forward - allow trac and harmes to be the kicking kids
Give Salem some midfield minutes
Gus seems to play his best with more time on ground

It’s to decide if the forwards are not good enough or it’s the mids horrible kicking. I think it’s the mids predominantly poor kicking not giving our forwards to best chance
It's a bit of column A, a bit of column B I think. The forwards lead to nowhere (if at all) half the time so don't give good options, but the mids also don't place the kicks with any thought so it's banged in to nothing rather than space to draw a lead or give our forward advantage. Over time it's broken down completely to the s**t we see now aside from the odd bullet from Hannan, Melk, Trac.

It's a bit of column A, a bit of column B I think. The forwards lead to nowhere (if at all) half the time so don't give good options, but the mids also don't place the kicks with any thought so it's banged in to nothing rather than space to draw a lead or give our forward advantage. Over time it's broken down completely to the sh*t we see now aside from the odd bullet from Hannan, Melk, Trac.

our two main targets TMac and fritta both like the ball in long and high and prefer to play from behind. Our mids don’t have the ability to kick the ball long to advantage. Nor do the forwards lead back then up again at the kicker and the kicker pulls the kick.

Honestly would there any defender in the AFL nervous about playing against melbourne. Mids are terrible kicks, forwards are poorly positioned and they have no tricks to their game

Actually made the decision to not watch this match, first time in a long time that I actually just didn't care, it's not to say I don't care about the club, I wouldn't be on a forum sounding like a nuffie if I didn't, but our performances the past 18 months and the general state of the club has just resulted in a sense of apathy towards this group of players and coaches. I live across the road from the MCG and if I could actually attend the game today, I'd still choose to do something else with my Sunday, and I haven't felt that way since the really dark years (07-14).

So, yeah, nice one Goodwin and co (and the players) for creating that feeling again in a supporter.
My exact thoughts before the game (except I have to watch and usually go). But it certainly has a 2012/13 vibe about it as in I just can't get excited to watch this team anymore. The problem is we should be able to be 50/50 with the middle of the road teams but I just expect a loss and when we play a bottom team it's a struggle. I can't even remember the last time I felt relaxed in a game every win in the last year and a half has been tough viewing. We have to be the most inefficient scoring team in the last few years even in 2018 we had some terribly inefficient scoring games. Something is seriously broken at the club.

The Good:

- Rivers kicking
- Fritsch as our key forward
- Petracca making steps towards becoming one of the leagues best mids

The Bad & Ugly:

- Blind entries inside 50
- No look handballs
- Poor/Complete absence of decision making
- Players not making any genuine attempt to spoil marks of opposition players
- T-Mac either needs to move back to the backline and we can drop J. Smith OR just simply omit T-Mac

Something is seriously wrong with our club is heads don't roll this week when it comes to selection. We're simply not good enough. Basic skill errors, etc.

There's simply a lack of team cohesion/teamwork too. The Tigers weren't good exactly, and as many of us know they aren't a team of superstars, they simply have some of the best teamwork in the comp and have a bunch of players who simply play a role given to them. We don't have that.

Also Goody is not a match day coach's sphincter. If things aren't working... change them. T-Mac should have been moved and trialled as second key defender weeks ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'll be back next week, just like the rest of us suckers.

Did you miss the part last year when I didn't watch any of our games from round 12 onwards after saying I was out? 😎

I'll watch the "highlights" instead. I can see all 4 of our goals that way in a 3 minute package rather than wasting 2.5 hours of my life.

I'm going to be such a noob when it comes to the end of the year changes unfortunately, but just remember, I was ahead of the curve on Oliver. A lot of you boys starting to see the light now, proud of you all. 👍

Good: the space in the forward line in the first quarter. Was nice to see it not congested, even if we didn't have the forwards to use it or the perfect delivery. Trac.

Bad: holding the ball interpretation on no genuine attempt. Absolutely ridiculous.

Ugly: everything else. Special mention to Oliver for yet another game of wasted possession.

I saw some very encouraging signs that made me happy.
Lots of endeavour, plus a reasonable and respectable level of effort. Flashes of brilliance, some creativity.
Boys should be proud of all of the trying they did.

I feel very deeply for Max Gawn being captain of Melbourne footy club and having to do one-hundred and seventy-six interviews per game. Max is smart. He knows- just like we all know- that his job is to follow orders from someone who has lost their mind. It must be hard being in front of the camera and not looking directly into the lens and saying: "* this club, I'm outta here!".
"Goodwin The Destroyer" I saw him named on facebook.
Max knows the team is s**t but he tries to be positive and affable in his interviews. This shows resilience, equanimity, professionalism. These are good qualities. I didn't feel sorry for Jack Viney when he did interviewing because Jack is dumb and probably doesn't know that Melbourne is performing less than favourably.

I enjoyed Hibberd's game.
Was disappointed in Trac because I missed the first quarter and all I heard was how good he was but I didn't see any of it.
I want to see Charlie Spargo in the team, and Bennell.

I don't know why you wouldn't play Bennell. Even if he's not very good at what the club wants him to be good at, it is apparent that the fans want to see him and it would be good if the club did something nice for the fans like me. The only offering from the club in 18 months has been s**t sandwiches to eat but I no longer want to eat sandwiches with s**t in them any more. :(:(:(

We need to employ someone at the club who can teach the players basic skills. And I don't mean basic skills like kicking, and hand-balling, and marking (which would also assist). I think the players need to learn even more basic skills, like counting. That way when the players know how to count maybe they can be taught that if there is one player in "blue and red" and more than one in "not blue and red" they can try to find someone else to kick too.

My other thinking (2/3) is we need to immediately cease trying to do anything within 50 metres of our own goal. "Play to your strengths boys!". Once the ball lands inside our forward 50 bad things happen and it hurts my eyes and my brain whenever I see it. I would rather our players treat the 50 metre arc like the goal line. It couldn't be worse than what is happening now with our goal attempts. (ie: just take a shot from the centre square if you have to, why not).

One last thought: we have a spoiler (May) and an elite intercept marker (Lever) and we need to ban all other defenders from jumping at the ball because everyone keeps spoiling each other. I understand our players lack intelligence and will probably jump out of "instinct!" but maybe if we told them not too they wouldn't? idk, worth a shot given maybe.

PS I also really liked the bit where Smith ran into Tom Lynch's head.

Good:
Hibberd has been pretty good since coming back in.
Petracca absolutely beastly and great composure with the ball.

Bad:
Forward structure.
Use going inside 50.
Hunt, AVB, Melksham. Yes our forwardline is undersized but apart from a couple of goals to Melksham these 3 offered little.
Smiths footy IQ.

Fugly:
Clarry's ball use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back