Review Dees v the Tigers: the Good, Bad & Up the Clacker

Remove this Banner Ad

Yer Melbourne are sh*t 😂

You made a good point, move on.

For your sake I hope you aren’t old enough to vote because a statement like “won’t be the first to be baptised by noah” sounds like a comment from a 15 year old or an adult who wears a jumper covered in player badges to the game with their face painted.

Pretty disappointing but won't get angry about it as nothing will change until we replace the coach.

Petracca was the big bright spot. May also nailed some kicks and McDonald was better in the air.

I can believe it because it's Melbourne, but i can't believe we are in this same position yet again. Staring at a bottom 4 two years in a row so quickly after Roos leaves. So many players playing out of position. Seemingly 1 gameplan, win ball, belt forward, hope for the best. Exact same issues moving it forward. Not recruiting or drafting blokes who can kick. Not drafting King to replace Hogan. Horrible selections that don't make sense. The worst forwardline in the comp. Clueless coaches. So sick of losing that football is now a fleeting interest instead of a winter passion. This club is losing long term fans by the week and it will continue to get worse until Goodwin goes..would be happy with Ross Lyon or Adem Yze. Make it happen or this club might not recover..

Petracca finally looks like reaching his potential. Unfortunately Viney, Brayshaw, Oliver, Harmes have gone backwards with Gawn treading water. Maybe it's time to get Sparrow in the guts?

My exact thoughts before the game (except I have to watch and usually go). But it certainly has a 2012/13 vibe about it as in I just can't get excited to watch this team anymore. The problem is we should be able to be 50/50 with the middle of the road teams but I just expect a loss and when we play a bottom team it's a struggle. I can't even remember the last time I felt relaxed in a game every win in the last year and a half has been tough viewing. We have to be the most inefficient scoring team in the last few years even in 2018 we had some terribly inefficient scoring games. Something is seriously broken at the club.
Even 2017 and 2018 with the improvement we showed, we still had some horrible losses. We won two finals in 2018, but I still don’t think I genuinely enjoyed the year of football we played, and you’re totally right in that I can’t remember the last time I felt relaxed at a Melbourne game.

Last year was my least enjoyable year as a supporter, only because I genuinely switched off during the Neeld years, and I’m feeling the same way now.

Last edited:
Look Goody isn't great but it's also pretty lol thinking Yze is going to lead us out of the mire.

That's classic Vossy/Hirdy/Buckley favourite son returns boys club thinking. He's been under Clarko and seems to have some promise but head coaching is a different kettle of fish and many more talented and well credentialed assistant coaches have fallen flat on their face.

Need someone that shows some *en passion.

Look Goody isn't great but it's also pretty lol thinking Yze is going to lead us out of the mire.

That's classic Vossy/Hirdy/Buckley favourite son returns boys club thinking. He's been under Clarko and seems to have some promise but head coaching is a different kettle of fish and many more talented and well credentialed assistant coaches have fallen flat on their face.

Need someone that shows some fu**en passion.
Any suggestions? Ratten was our man. It has to be Ross Lyon or Brad Scott. We need an experienced coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly reckon Ross Lyon would be a good fit for us. Felt that he got a lot out of the lists of St Kilda and Fremantle, especially the Dockers. Reckon he was stiff to not win a flag with the Saints. We should be a lot better than what we're producing currently and I feel Lyon going by what he's done at those two clubs, has the ability to maximise the strengths and potential of our list. Also reckon someone like Paul Roos who worked with Lyon at Sydney in the mid 2000s and from what I gather has a great rapport with him, could return to the football club in some capacity as well which I would love to see.

Srsly, where the hell did Sam Weiderman go? He was tracking so nicely w his breakout in the 2018 finals?

Is he injured, Or can’t make the side? Because we have zero forward options.

Felt like our fwdline represented about 60 games of experience today. More U18s than Epsteins getaway island.

Last edited:
A lot of us said last year that those talking up a top 8 or top 6 finish in 2020 were way too optimistic. Backline I think can be in the best 8 or so in the league but midfield and forward line both need a complete rebuild. We are still too slow , basic skills are not up to standard , and some players look like they have no football smarts. Hard to win games without a decent FF AND without a decent CHF. Goodwin just doesn’t inspire confidence as a coach and as a guy well into his 50’s I’m running out of time to ever see MFC win a flag.

I love Derm as much as I ever had right now. Just ******* giving it to us. So good to finally hear someone speak the truth.

“They have players who go out onto the ground and, to me, it looks like they’re quite happy to have their place in a position playing AFL football … they’re quite happy to be AFL footballers of note.”

“They have some passengers. They have some players who play on their terms. They’re talented, they’re good – they know it. They play when they feel like it’s their turn to go. They are not uncompromising.”

The above pretty much sums us up. We've got plenty of talented players who are happy to turn it on when they feel like it, and we're not even vaguely close to being uncompromising. Until we show up with the right attitude and put in 4 quarters of uncompromising football week after week, we will continue to be the irrelevance of the AFL.

The coaching staff and the playing group are both equally responsible for that, and both have been failing at it for the last 18 months. There was also nothing on display today that indicates it will change any time soon.

Our inability to play a consistent 4 quarters is a mental thing, not a fitness thing. This playing group is pissing away their AFL careers because they can't apply themselves consistently over 4 quarters of football.

I don't see Goodwin leading us out of this unless some sort of crazy miracle occurs. He seems like the sort of guy that likes to mollycoddle his favourite players and in doing so he's suffocated their development. Where they stand right now they need hard truths, not security blankets.

Oh, and the game plan combined with our team selection is continually a mess.

This whole club needs an attitude transplant.

IMO replacing one person regardless of job title (head coach, director of something, junk accumulator, janitor, recruitment person, social media man, key forward) will not work because every "nook and cranny" of the club has been infected with melbourne demons ie: it is all rabble, all of it.

very deep issues preventing football team from doing anything approaching football. demons cannot achieve even mediocrity because failure is too profoundly ingrained into the football clubs psychological makeup. falling into a pile of s**t is our identity, our brand, our culture.

our coach is a gambling addict. not tactician, statistician, he is calculating odds? like when bullwinkle pulls a rabbit out of his hat, we bomb it long, "but that trick never works! but this time, for sure!" but it never works why won't he change it? who extended his contract, and why?

no money due to covid means no sacking the coach. if we are this s**t next year melbourne will lose whatever TaLenTeD players we have and knowing us we'll probably get ben kennedys in return, and if we do get high draft picks (as if) our trade people will swap them for small forwards or people who run fast and kick s**t.

need to cover the place in petrol and burn it to the ground and then re-brand rename redo the whole thing, call the team "melbourne phoenix!" or something, hope and pray because the staff and players are not working. game plan recruiting trading development marketing handballing all of it is horrible, awful, sub-standard crap.

year after year after year.

bring back watts and bugg and hogan and get some more party boys. must be s**t being in the team now, who wants to get on the tiles with tom macdonalds after a win? no one that's probably why they are not trying anymore.

Viney has trimmed down too much...he no longer has the physicality to break tackles or even lay tackles effectively. His one big strength is now gone. Get off the paleo Jack!

Did anyone else get the feeling the Richmond players were genuinely taking the pi$$? Just playing with us. Laughing even at times. Lairising because they knew we weren't going to hurt them. Smug even. This coming from a side who had won 1 game and basically had no one on the bench. It had shades of Geelong in their premiership years laughing at us 7 or 8 years ago.

F*** this club. 46 and still waiting for some sort of success. 1 step forward 3 back with our development. We genuinely had a stack of potential stars a few years ago. All gone backwards except Petracca. Oliver, Brayshaw, Hogan, Hunt, Salem, Viney, Harmes, AVB, Weideman, TMac, Tyson all went backwards. All of them. Throw in senior players like Melk(sham), Jetta, Jones, May, Lever and Gawn all treading water or providung SFA leadership and it's an absolute disgrace.

Preseason was a crock. To Hell and Back doco making it appear like s*** had changed and last season was an anomaly. Absolute lie. Recruiting Bennell, re-building him, making his comeback dramatic then banishing him for not chasing or being fit enough when 22 other blokes supposedly ahead of him aren't chasing. It's utter bullsh**.

Who are our coaches? No one of note. No one any good. They play most of our list out of position. They've drafted and recruited tough inside old school players and created a gameplan that is 2 decades old now and we're stuck in a game where good ball users and outside run is winning games, not having 12 blokes winning the ball without a clue how to use it or even having a decent target to kick to. Even Petty who looked promising as a forward is a bloody backman!!! We replaced a young promising forward for an ageing full back and was so arrogant in thinking a CHB who had showed 12 decent games forward, and a young guy who had only 2 good games in a row would be our forward targets for a decade. Weid can't even get a game in a sh** team and TMac has proven his stint up forward was a flash in the pan.

I can't see a miracle turn around with this list. The coaches just aren't good enough and the players 1 demensional that lack the skill to change. A complete rebuild yet again looks on the cards and how many young or old supporters will stick around for that? Our CEO is a disgrace, we have a clueless president who's heart doesn't even beat red and blue, and we can't even go to the footy to voice our disgust. I genuinely thought things changed when Roos took over. But we all we got was some decent footy against average and poor teams over an 18 month period at a stretch. I kind of hope Suns belt us so the heat really gets turned up as the sooner we start the rebuild the better. Sick of this list, sick of these coaches..

The sad - to my eyes one of the better games we have played this year. Unfortunately just don't have the skills to make it happen, not sure how much Tigers kicked from turnovers but was surely a lot

Honestly I’m really grateful we have this place to vent our feelings on the dees, think we’re all disgruntled melbourne supporters who have seen it year after year.

I turn 31 this year and I get so jealous of mates who have seen their team win a flag, it just doesn’t feel like it’ll happen for us, like we’re just not club who could see genuine success.

Did anyone else get the feeling the Richmond players were genuinely taking the pi$$? Just playing with us. Laughing even at times. Lairising because they knew we weren't going to hurt them. Smug even. This coming from a side who had won 1 game and basically had no one on the bench. It had shades of Geelong in their premiership years laughing at us 7 or 8 years ago.

F*** this club. 46 and still waiting for some sort of success. 1 step forward 3 back with our development. We genuinely had a stack of potential stars a few years ago. All gone backwards except Petracca. Oliver, Brayshaw, Hogan, Hunt, Salem, Viney, Harmes, AVB, Weideman, TMac, Tyson all went backwards. All of them. Throw in senior players like Melk(sham), Jetta, Jones, May, Lever and Gawn all treading water or providung SFA leadership and it's an absolute disgrace.

Preseason was a crock. To Hell and Back doco making it appear like s*** had changed and last season was an anomaly. Absolute lie. Recruiting Bennell, re-building him, making his comeback dramatic then banishing him for not chasing or being fit enough when 22 other blokes supposedly ahead of him aren't chasing. It's utter bullsh**.

Who are our coaches? No one of note. No one any good. They play most of our list out of position. They've drafted and recruited tough inside old school players and created a gameplan that is 2 decades old now and we're stuck in a game where good ball users and outside run is winning games, not having 12 blokes winning the ball without a clue how to use it or even having a decent target to kick to. Even Petty who looked promising as a forward is a bloody backman!!! We replaced a young promising forward for an ageing full back and was so arrogant in thinking a CHB who had showed 12 decent games forward, and a young guy who had only 2 good games in a row would be our forward targets for a decade. Weid can't even get a game in a sh** team and TMac has proven his stint up forward was a flash in the pan.

I can't see a miracle turn around with this list. The coaches just aren't good enough and the players 1 demensional that lack the skill to change. A complete rebuild yet again looks on the cards and how many young or old supporters will stick around for that? Our CEO is a disgrace, we have a clueless president who's heart doesn't even beat red and blue, and we can't even go to the footy to voice our disgust. I genuinely thought things changed when Roos took over. But we all we got was some decent footy against average and poor teams over an 18 month period at a stretch. I kind of hope Suns belt us so the heat really gets turned up as the sooner we start the rebuild the better. Sick of this list, sick of these coaches..
I also noticed the Tiger players were having a laugh at us, commented on it in the GTT. We are a laughing stock not just for supporters but for oppo players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back