Review Dees v the West Coast Eagles: the Good, Bad and Fuglier than the 2018 PF

Remove this Banner Ad

agree. reckon he can get it right though, ******* strikes it pure while just coasting in and casually kicks it 60 off his garbage run up.
He's 8 years in or whatever and he's been pretty crap at set shots the whole time.
One step from 55 no dramas.

He needs a consistent action first. His set shots just look like he runs up and kicks it as hard and high as possible

Brayshaw went from me hating him to being one of me favourites in the backline. He's a gun now. Never ever go back to the wing or midfield.

Everything else was crap. Can't believe I'd be bored as for 3 quarters of a 74 point win.

Only complaint is I’d prefer he not be as courageous and put his head at risk in a game we expect to win handily. I realize it’s hard to turn that on and off. Just saying he doesn’t always have to play like it’s 3rd quarter of the granny.

Only complaint is I’d prefer he not be as courageous and put his head at risk in a game we expect to win handily. I realize it’s hard to turn that on and off. Just saying he doesn’t always have to play like it’s 3rd quarter of the granny.
Nah if he starts doing that then he shouldn't play

I think it’s possible to be a bit more selective based on circumstances. But I understand the concern.
He shouldn't have different rules to anyone else. If he can't do his job because it's too risky he can't play. Didn't see him do anything overly crazy last night

He shouldn't have different rules to anyone else. If he can't do his job because it's too risky he can't play. Didn't see him do anything overly crazy last night

Remember him backing into a contest with two guys behind him flying for a mark.

we are now number 1 for points against, 527 points conceded, Freo 528 lol.

4th ranked offence in the league with 838 points for. Only Brisbane on 953, Richmond on 899 and Sydney on 850 are higher. Seems about right as we get our turn to pump West Coast and North.

Freo the 11th ranked offence is the main outlier i can find. Richmond 11th ranked defence but they aren't anywhere near it.

So, the Freo defence is about as good as ours but they can't kick a winning score with about 10ppg less than us. Still early but it's around now it all starts to even out.

We'd have 4 points if he didn't play aswell then.

Fair. But just to be clear, I’m curious if you think a guy with his history should ever modify how he approaches the game. Like, there’s 30 seconds left in the game and we’re up 100- no change in what he should and shouldn’t do?

I got nothing against Ryan's bump, if my team was that s**t id be looking for players to do something like that every week rather bending over and asking for more as West Coast have been doing of late.

The whole "going past" the football argument from David King is tiresome, you can easily argue that Ryan expected Bowey to take possession and was committed to the action either way.

Last edited:
I got nothing against Ryan's bump, if my team was that s**t id be looking for players to do something like that every week rather bending over and asking for more as West Coast have been doing of late.

The whole "going past" the football argument from David King is tiresome, you can easily argue that Ryan expect Bowey to take possession and was committed to the action either way.

I agree mate. At the same time I think Petty/May ought go out of there way to find a spot to exact a pound of flesh in return. And if they cop a week or two, so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tell me you have time to decide "im going to go past the footy here and take him out" ...100% looks as tho Bowser will take possession.

Screen Shot 2022-05-16 at 1.57.58 am.png

Tell me you have time to decide "im going to go past the footy here and take him out" ...100% looks as tho Bowser will take possession.

View attachment 1401315
Yep an all it takes is for bowey to go backwards or stop and a bump to the shoulder becomes a David King hit

Fair. But just to be clear, I’m curious if you think a guy with his history should ever modify how he approaches the game. Like, there’s 30 seconds left in the game and we’re up 100- no change in what he should and shouldn’t do?
I'm not saying there's never a time to take some shorter steps but if I expect Rivers to go back then Gus has to do the same. If he's playing and he's that a risk he shouldn't be playing.

sunday 5:20 is easily the worst time slot in the world, thank christ the AFL canned them in Melbourne 5 or so years ago, id like to never play one again.

Hilarious how Sunday night football is the great time slot in the US, meanwhile its the dregs in Australia.

Also dead set Trac needs to fix his ******* set shots he's gonna cost us a final one day with that rubbish.

Ive given up on him TBH, first person im giving permission to kick snaps from everywhere when having a set shot, cant be any worse than what hes currently doing.

Ive given up on him TBH, first person im giving permission to kick snaps from everywhere when having a set shot, cant be any worse than what hes currently doing.
Wasn't he saying in the post match he's been working on it? Feels like he's gotten worse.

Wasn't he saying in the post match he's been working on it? Feels like he's gotten worse.

hes trying too hard and its playing with his head. Why you see him kicking goals when he relies on reflex in general play far more often.

You see genuine concern over his face when hes lining up to kick a drop punt, and his approach is stiff as cardboard, nothing about his approach is anything natural or reflex.

hes trying too hard and its playing with his head. Why you see him kicking goals when he relies on reflex in general play far more often.
Yeah I was pissed when Lewis was giving him s**t for going for the snap on his wrong side in the second quarter. He'd be 80% more likely to kick that than the 30m set shot 5 mins later.

He kicked a ripper set shot from the pocket against Essendon. Maybe it was just lucky but I reckon he gets in his head more the easier the kick.

Yeah I was pissed when Lewis was giving him s**t for going for the snap on his wrong side in the second quarter. He'd be 80% more likely to kick that than the 30m set shot 5 mins later.

He kicked a ripper set shot from the pocket against Essendon. Maybe it was just lucky but I reckon he gets in his head more the easier the kick.

Better off kicking snaps off one step, coz what hes doing now is of no benefit at all, walking in all that way with no momentum then leaning back and tugging the s**t out of it like Stedy said. His "run up" (ie:walk up) is just making it harder for himself mentally.

Hilarious how Sunday night football is the great time slot in the US, meanwhile its the dregs in Australia.

Wasn’t always that way. Sunday night used to be similar to what the Thursday night game is now. But they have tried to make the game one of the better matchups each week, and tried to make it feel like more of an event, with a pregame show that includes highlights of the other games that day. TV is king in the states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back